Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: gv vs Indy game thread

Originally posted by BillyGV View Post
    You obviously haven't watched many games - better hold your opinion until you do
    Not gonna hold my opinions. But thanks for your advice.

Comment

Originally posted by OhioDadGVSON View Post
      Not gonna hold my opinions. But thanks for your advice.

Comment

Comment

Just watched the game. Thought Grand Valley looked really good. D was quick. Great DL depth and the OL solid at every position. The "returning from injury" OL and Michigan transfer OL are two nice additions. Last year I remember it was U Indy with the dominating OL. On the DL for GV it was either the N Illinois or E Michigan transfer with a BIG motor. Both QBs didn't have gave good games. GV Williams was erratic and U Indy Purichia didn't work magic like he does. Big talent was Chawntez Moss with forward lean and hit the holes at full speed. He left D1 Pitt because of a suspension and later dismissed from their team and not because he didn't have the talent to play. U Indy no depth for DLs, DBs and RBs. Last year had depth at all three and even four good RBs - this year down to back up RBs with no experience. Also U Indy seemed to "quit" a little when their "go to guy" RB McKeller got hobbled up to start the 2nd half. And that's bad. GV impressed at multiple positions. And that's a team in the driver's seat to win the GLIAC.

U Indy scored first and only down 3 points with a minute left in the Third Qtr but then seemed like GV wore them down and took over. U Indy's program not there yet. Every team loses guys to graduation, injury, grades and breaking team rules. U Indy replaces these guys with frosh and walk ons. Grand Valley replaces with upperclassmen guys on athletic scholarship plus transfers.

Comment

i think a good question to be asked is, would you rather have Bart or Jayru, i think GV is glad they have Bart and Ferris would rather have Jayru (due to respective Offenses)

Comment

Originally posted by Bos715 View Post
              i think a good question to be asked is, would you rather have Bart or Jayru, i think GV is glad they have Bart and Ferris would rather have Jayru (due to respective Offenses)
              You know that's a great question. I like mobile QB's, but I'm nervous about them getting banged up. JVL avoided getting it too bad, but others have limped off and on. JC is pretty big so one might think he could take the punishment. I guess we'll see. Plus, not sure there are tough physical D's he'll be regularly seeing.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwing View Post
                You know that's a great question. I like mobile QB's, but I'm nervous about them getting banged up. JVL avoided getting it too bad, but others have limped off and on. JC is pretty big so one might think he could take the punishment. I guess we'll see. Plus, not sure there are tough physical D's he'll be regularly seeing.
                i think of campbell like a Cam newton, and i think bart is kinda similar to a drew brees

Comment

You don't need a QB to run as much as Ferris runs its QBs in order to have an effective offense. But having a guy like MSU's Brian Lewerke is something to be desired. A pass first type of QB with very few designed QB runs but isn't afraid to run with it if the play breaks down and has the speed to pull it off. Bart doesn't seem to have that ability. He's purely a pocket passer and if the pass play breaks down, it's going nowhere. Obviously it helps if the OL keeps him on his feet with a strong pocket, but that doesn't always mean the receivers will get open.

Comment

Originally posted by BeachinLaker View Post
                    You don't need a QB to run as much as Ferris runs its QBs in order to have an effective offense. But having a guy like MSU's Brian Lewerke is something to be desired. A pass first type of QB with very few designed QB runs but isn't afraid to run with it if the play breaks down and has the speed to pull it off. Bart doesn't seem to have that ability. He's purely a pocket passer and if the pass play breaks down, it's going nowhere. Obviously it helps if the OL keeps him on his feet with a strong pocket, but that doesn't always mean the receivers will get open.
                    I didn't see a snap of FSU's game last week. However, I did find it interesting that even in a blowout, 1/2 of the running plays were by a QB. I'm not sure what was typical for FSU last season. Nor, am I sure what's typical for a team with a running QB. But in a blowout, running your QB 1/2 the time? Interesting.

Comment

I didn't see a snap of FSU's game last week. However, I did find it interesting that even in a blowout, 1/2 of the running plays were by a QB. I'm not sure what was typical for FSU last season. Nor, am I sure what's typical for a team with a running QB. But in a blowout, running your QB 1/2 the time? Interesting.
                      not sure if it makes a difference but most of the QB runs were by design a lot of QB draws and QB power plays, felt like there were 2 running backs and once in awhile they would throw

Comment

Originally posted by Bos715 View Post
                        not sure if it makes a difference but most of the QB runs were by design a lot of QB draws and QB power plays, felt like there were 2 running backs and once in awhile they would throw
                        Oh, I get that. But if you're up big, why risk injury to the most important position? If one wants to work out kinks, I suppose I see that. But, for me, I don't see the reward with having so many QB runs. Is it because almost every play involves some sort of qb run option? If that is the case, I suppose I might see the reason. It may be that my bias is showing through about a certain coach.

Comment

Oh, I get that. But if you're up big, why risk injury to the most important position? If one wants to work out kinks, I suppose I see that. But, for me, I don't see the reward with having so many QB runs. Is it because almost every play involves some sort of qb run option? If that is the case, I suppose I might see the reason. It may be that my bias is showing through about a certain coach.

Comment

Agree with the above. Most of the runs seem to happen at the beginning of the game, I'm assuming to get him settled in. I actually became concerned because JC likes to lower his shoulder and initiate contact at the end of his runs. May work vs ESU, but gliac LBs will shut that door real quick.

Comment

Originally posted by BeachinLaker View Post
                              Yep, lots of QBs have passing records but the team didn't win - again, not knocking Bart's arm just his ability to scramble - again, I am not saying he needs called running plays but a QB that can move and as stated above, can make something happen with his legs is an asset - not many natl championships are won with straight pocket passers in the college game today - that threat or ability to run breaks down defenses and demoralizes them - GV has only won the NC when we had a QB that could move in the pocket and make something happen with their feet if they had too - same for D1 - I like Bart and I'm glad he will have all the records but I could care less if we made it to the NC game - so would he I bet...go Lakers

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X