Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DU Looks like a new team

DU -- may not get respect for a while, but after watching them last year to this year. The team has some talent compared to last year. Yes as Riepma may put it they only beat a NAIA team this past weekend -- but they won, last year they lost to that NAIA team (Concordia). He may want to be careful car show weekend -- when DU comes to Midland. I think they are going to compete, and be in the middle of the pack this season in the GLIAC. Coach McEwen says he has close to 80 new players, with 1/2 of those being transfers. That is a full team makeover. Players you may want to watch out for are all-GLIAC last year members back from the defense Brian Williams and Derek Calloway. New Comer to the D and Purdue transfer Rob Simmons who is 6'6" DE. If the QB stays healthy, that will be the biggest improvement on the field. Deondre Ford - former Kansas QB looked very good compared to the numerous QBs the team used last year. If DU can stay healthy they should be able to compete and win some games in the GLIAC.

Re: DU Looks like a new team

Davenport is going to be good eventually. They would have been decent last year, but losing their starting QB in the first game ended their season almost immediately because they had zero capable back-ups.
    2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

DUpanthers, sorry but Robert Morris is not on the level Concordia, MI is/was. You beat a middling NAIA team in RMU this year. Concordia is a top ten NAIA team.

Losing to the Cardinal 25-6 last fall isn't a bad thing, and beating RMU solidly means you are probably better this fall. However, don't threaten the top echelon of the GLIAC just yet. Just my free advice

Comment

Originally posted by badboyblynn View Post
        DUpanthers, sorry but Robert Morris is not on the level Concordia, MI is/was. You beat a middling NAIA team in RMU this year. Concordia is a top ten NAIA team.

Losing to the Cardinal 25-6 last fall isn't a bad thing, and beating RMU solidly means you are probably better this fall. However, don't threaten the top echelon of the GLIAC just yet. Just my free advice

Comment

Originally posted by badboyblynn View Post

I guess my statement wasn't clear, I said they should compete in the middle of the GLIAC, not I or anyone should even suggest DU is going to compete with the top teams of the GLIAC. I look at last years teams compared to this years. So loses to Wayne St, Northwood both in OT, and losing late to MT on ST blunders. Beating McKendree a team Northern just lost too, makes me think this team will win some of these games this year. We will know more in a few weeks, as they take on #2 D3 U-W this week, then on the road to MT, then following week to D2 Quincy.

Comment

Originally posted by DUpanthers View Post
            I guess my statement wasn't clear, I said they should compete in the middle of the GLIAC, not I or anyone should even suggest DU is going to compete with the top teams of the GLIAC. I look at last years teams compared to this years. So loses to Wayne St, Northwood both in OT, and losing late to MT on ST blunders. Beating McKendree a team Northern just lost too, makes me think this team will win some of these games this year. We will know more in a few weeks, as they take on #2 D3 U-W this week, then on the road to MT, then following week to D2 Quincy.
            DU held down Ferris pretty well last year

Comment

This weekend will be interesting. Non-scholly D3 opponent, that many in D3 circles believe is grossly over-ranked. Not a fan of these games regardless, as even wins in them don't help the playoff resumes of DU or any of their leaguemates.

As for how good their team is, DU will improve...that was never a question. They built their program into one of the best in their NAIA conference...and did it quickly. No reason to think they won't in football. Tougher climb, but they'll be able to compete. They brought in a ton of new faces, and suffered through countless injuries last year. They'll win at least a couple of games in-league this year, IMO.

Comment

How big of a jump is it from NAIA TO D2? I thought it was pretty big.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Nicolette View Post
                  This weekend will be interesting. Non-scholly D3 opponent, that many in D3 circles believe is grossly over-ranked. Not a fan of these games regardless, as even wins in them don't help the playoff resumes of DU or any of their leaguemates.

As for how good their team is, DU will improve...that was never a question. They built their program into one of the best in their NAIA conference...and did it quickly. No reason to think they won't in football. Tougher climb, but they'll be able to compete. They brought in a ton of new faces, and suffered through countless injuries last year. They'll win at least a couple of games in-league this year, IMO.
                  Non-athletic scholly D3 --- remember - they do get grants that are just created for athletes, and they seem to find other monies for the student.. Had good friend play at hope, and got over $25K w/ grants. I would think you wouldn't have seen a D3 team on the schedule if DU could qualify for Playoffs.... Still under the probation rule, so not eligible until next year.

Comment

NAIA compares themselves to NCAA DII, but I think that only is true for the top teams in the NAIA nation. FCS schools play NAIA teams at times..

Comment

Non-athletic scholly D3 --- remember - they do get grants that are just created for athletes, and they seem to find other monies for the student.. Had good friend play at hope, and got over $25K w/ grants. I would think you wouldn't have seen a D3 team on the schedule if DU could qualify for Playoffs.... Still under the probation rule, so not eligible until next year.
                      Understood on the grants/schollies/funding. Also, per your other post, NAIA can be compared to DIII, but keep in mind that NAIA DOES offer athletic schollies...

My commentary about the schedule is less about DU at this stage in their development, and far more about their leaguemates. Games not against D2 opponents do not count on their resume, nor do they count for anyone else who plays them.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X