Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayne State vs Indy

I'm watching the game on live stream from the U Indy web site. I'm glad it's free. Wayne State looks terrible. They are down 21-0 at half time and I don't see them coming back to win this one. They can't complete a pass, have had numerous costly penalties and aren't running the ball particularly well.

What I'm seeing does not bode well for the rest of the season. I guess we're no Grand Valley (but we already knew that).

Re: Wayne State vs Indy

whats going on with WSU

Comment

IMO they need a new head coach. Winters was really good for the 1st 6-7 years of his head coaching stint, but has flat lined for the last 7 years with a 34-33 overall record since 2011. He has no fear of getting fired as long as the current AD hangs around.
      We need a guy who's hungry, driven, innovative and can recruit good talent that can actually compete against the best in the GLIAC and D2. We may be underfunded as well but that's a topic for another day.

Comment

Last edited by GVLakerFan24; 09-08-2018, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Last edited by GVLakerFan24; 09-08-2018, 06:40 PM. Reason: Unneeded now

Comment

After watching UIndy at GV last week, I thought for sure Wayne was going to be able to beat them fairly easily. Guess not.
            2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Winters seems to have worn out his welcome a few years ago, though. It isn't the first time the WSU people have mentioned that they need something new in there.
              2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by WayneStatesman View Post
                  IMO they need a new head coach. Winters was really good for the 1st 6-7 years of his head coaching stint, but has flat lined for the last 7 years with a 34-33 overall record since 2011. He has no fear of getting fired as long as the current AD hangs around.
                  We need a guy who's hungry, driven, innovative and can recruit good talent that can actually compete against the best in the GLIAC and D2. We may be underfunded as well but that's a topic for another day.
                  You can have Matt Mitchell....please, take him. Oh wait, you said you need a coach who is hungry, driven and innovative. Mitchell is NOT your guy then. But you can still have him.

Comment

To be fair...Wayne State had never been a competitive program prior to Winters. Ever. I would concentrate more on your resource allocation (i.e. facilities, recruiting, coaching salaries to get better assistants, etc.). Until those things improve, no one is going to have consistent success. Wayne State is the third highest funded university in the state. There's no reason they can't scrape together the money needed to compete more in athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by IH8SVSU View Post
                      You can have Matt Mitchell....please, take him. Oh wait, you said you need a coach who is hungry, driven and innovative. Mitchell is NOT your guy then. But you can still have him.
                      this just isn't true - we will keep our coach

Comment

A lot of hating going on!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by BeachinLaker View Post
                            To be fair...Wayne State had never been a competitive program prior to Winters. Ever. I would concentrate more on your resource allocation (i.e. facilities, recruiting, coaching salaries to get better assistants, etc.). Until those things improve, no one is going to have consistent success. Wayne State is the third highest funded university in the state. There's no reason they can't scrape together the money needed to compete more in athletics.
                            You make some fair points. I'm well aware of how bad Wayne State football had been prior to Winters. They were definitely non-competitive for many, many years. For whatever reason Wayne State has never funded athletics very well historically. For a university the size of Wayne State they should be D1 not D2 but it didn't happen and probably will never happen.

They have upgraded their facilities in recent years and they had to shell out enough dough to keep Winters from taking the Akron head coaching job a few years ago but I suspect (I don't have any facts) that Wayne still doesn't spend as much on their athletic program in general and football in particular as some other GLIAC schools do.

Comment

I had contemplated making that 5-hour drive down to see this one, but the bad weather convinced me to stay home and watch it on the computer... I'm so glad I didn't make that trip. In every category Wayne was flat; offensive line, defensive line, running backs only had a few nice runs, costly turnovers and penalties, quarterbacks (plural) and special teams... just poor execution and motivation across the board. Head Coach Winters had better find a way to get this train back on the tracks or this will be his second straight losing season. He had some great players for a while, and they made the program nationally relevant for a few years, but if this is the best we can look forward to then this season is a wrap; WSU is going to continue to fall back to the bottom of the heap. Very disappointing considering Wayne fought Indy down to the wire and lost on a last second field goal last year...

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X