Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: DU goes 4-0

Originally posted by DUpanthers View Post
    I know, I don't understand how Alabama ever makes it to the Playoffs beating a FCS school every year. NAIA is a scholarship based league.. a lot of DII and FCS schools play NAIA teams. DU played the 2nd best DIII team, because the team they were suppose to play backed out... They're in their 2nd season of DII football and only 3rd season ever, people are already discrediting their wins. If you don't think Concordia Ann Arbor couldn't beat these teams and probably DU you are clueless about football in general.. NAIA is a scholarship based division, that most of those players could play DII....DU is only trying to do one thing build a program..
    I don't understand why you have this imaginary chip on your shoulder. Alabama plays FCS schools every year because FBS does not use any kind of actual statistical ranking system to determine playoff participants. D-II does, and games against any other competition besides other D-II teams essentially counts as a non-existent game. If you were in the running for a playoff spot, then those two wins count for nothing for you towards the regional rankings that use actual data to rank teams. That is all anyone is saying. Go ahead and play as many D-III and NAIA schools as you want, that's fine, but we're just pointing out that those games mean essentially nothing when it comes to determining a team's worth for the playoffs in any given year.
    2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Comment

going to affect GVSU making the playoffs...
        Uh, they actually could. Hell, if DU finishes .500, it can help GV too. I thought he was just pointing out that the wins aren't part of the PO crit. equations. I've extended my kudo's to DU already. Looks like my bucket is empty for more though. Can't wait for the GV beatdown coming your way in a few weeks. Enjoy the ride.:wink:

Comment

but a 6-7 season for a team in their 2nd year of DII is good season, continue to build on that. BIllyGV you act like those 2 games are going to affect GVSU making the playoffs...
          I agree with some other posters that you seem awfully sensitive about this topic. Your logic for scheduling the way DU has is perfectly fine. Similarly, the logic of others who KNOW that two of those wins don't exist in terms of the playoff criteria (which, ABSOLUTELY has a bearing on the playoff resume of every D2 opponent DU plays) is also legitimate. Is it going to keep anyone OUT of the bracket? Probably not...but #'s get tight and where someone is SEEDED may well see an impact from this. Realistically, the teams that are worried about this know that handling their own business is definitely the way to go...but their fans aren't wrong to point out that two of those wins don't count. It's 100% true.

Above, you state that "a 6-7 win season for a team in their 2nd year of DII is a good season". If I were a DU guy, I'd be referring how good a season it would be win to six or seven in "just our third year of having a team". To specifically call out how good it is in the context of being D2 even though all of your wins weren't against D2 teams rings a little hollow.

And, I hear your arguments...yes, NAIA is schollie ball. While true, the caliber of play is not near the same...I'm pretty sure you understand that. Same with OshKosh...DIII ball just isn't the same. I mean, there is a REASON these divisions or governing bodies are different...and, that's part of why playoff resumes don't count games against teams from those other places.

You had a schedule issue...not your fault and it's great you got a game. That said, in the eyes of those that know around here, that game simply isn't going to count.

Comment

DU - I think everyone knows that your school is building a new program and scheduling games is always tough and at this point a win is a win BUT as others have pointed out who you play and the results from qualified games does make an impact on the teams vying for the playoffs - I have congratulated your team on their first gliac in the past and will be happy for you again in the future, to some point, then I will be pulling against you as I am sure you are against us - a good job to your team so far this season and have a great week

Comment

Comment

I am good, it just funny that GVSU fans that are worried that DU could affect if they make the playoffs, when they will probably end up 10-1, 11-0... You are correct, I could careless what everyone else thinks, I am just going to smile and enjoy the season for these young men. I was just explaining why their schedule was the way it was. Next they will be saying that the DII Quincy game doesn't count because they lost to a FCS and NAIA team this year.. So Actually DU is only 2-0... LOL!

On the game itself -- DU has to fix the kicking game (could have cost them the game), but the Defense only held Mayon to 47 yards rushing... Realistically just hoping for a 3-3 finish over the next 6 games......and hoping for competitive games against FS/GV/Ash --

When it is all said and done, I will be rooting for GV/FS to win a NC once the playoffs get here.

Comment

I am good, it just funny that GVSU fans that are worried that DU could affect if they make the playoffs, when they will probably end up 10-1, 11-0... You are correct, I could careless what everyone else thinks, I am just going to smile and enjoy the season for these young men. I was just explaining why their schedule was the way it was. Next they will be saying that the DII Quincy game doesn't count because they lost to a FCS and NAIA team this year.. So Actually DU is only 2-0... LOL!

On the game itself -- DU has to fix the kicking game (could have cost them the game), but the Defense only held Mayon to 47 yards rushing... Realistically just hoping for a 3-3 finish over the next 6 games......and hoping for competitive games against FS/GV/Ash --

When it is all said and done, I will be rooting for GV/FS to win a NC once the playoffs get here.
                  Because it still affects postseason seeding purposes. For example, if GVSU and NWMS both end up at 10-1, then Davenport having two less actual wins on their schedule for statistical purposes could result in GVSU being the #3 seed while NWMS is the #2 seed, when even a pair of bad D-II teams for DU would help more. If GVSU's Opponents' winning percentage (one of the top statistics used to determine rankings) ends up being 0.10 lower because DU really only has 5 wins instead of 7, and that's what determines them being #3 instead of #2 (which is extremely feasible), then we would have reason to complain. Let's hope it doesn't end up mattering, but there's more than enough reason for GV or FSU people to point out that it hurts. It isn't about just making the playoffs or not making the playoffs. It is about seeding compared to other conference's playoff teams and whether there is an extra home game or not in the playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post
                    Because it still affects postseason seeding purposes. For example, if GVSU and NWMS both end up at 10-1, then Davenport having two less actual wins on their schedule for statistical purposes could result in GVSU being the #3 seed while NWMS is the #2 seed, when even a pair of bad D-II teams for DU would help more. If GVSU's Opponents' winning percentage (one of the top statistics used to determine rankings) ends up being 0.10 lower because DU really only has 5 wins instead of 7, and that's what determines them being #3 instead of #2 (which is extremely feasible), then we would have reason to complain. Let's hope it doesn't end up mattering, but there's more than enough reason for GV or FSU people to point out that it hurts. It isn't about just making the playoffs or not making the playoffs. It is about seeding compared to other conference's playoff teams and whether there is an extra home game or not in the playoffs.
                    I understand your complaint, but it is not DU's fault, it is more the fault of all the teams that jumped ship few years ago. DU wouldn't even be D2, if you still had all the GLIAC teams, then you wouldn't have the need to schedule out of conference games. When the 6 teams that jumped shipped, GLIAC and GMAC should have comprised and said we will do cross over games for all non-conference. That probably would have helped.

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post
                      How about you go out and find DU a few D2 games to play, and while you are at it bring a few to GVSU and XSU, XSU only has 9 next year and GVSU only has 10..getting D2 games is no easy feat...at least DU is up and playing..unless you have a solution quit ragging on the poster..DU can only play the games they have on the schedule..

Comment

Originally posted by champgymusa View Post
                        How about you go out and find DU a few D2 games to play, and while you are at it bring a few to GVSU and XSU, XSU only has 9 next year and GVSU only has 10..getting D2 games is no easy feat...at least DU is up and playing..unless you have a solution quit ragging on the poster..DU can only play the games they have on the schedule..
                        I have never said anything negative about it happening. I don't care who they play. They can play 12 D-III schools for all I care. The poster kept asking why it matters, and I have explained it. He kept questioning it, because it doesn't sound like he understands how it affects playoff positioning. So I explained it some more. Your condescension here is noted.

Comment

I understand your complaint, but it is not DU's fault, it is more the fault of all the teams that jumped ship few years ago. DU wouldn't even be D2, if you still had all the GLIAC teams, then you wouldn't have the need to schedule out of conference games. When the 6 teams that jumped shipped, GLIAC and GMAC should have comprised and said we will do cross over games for all non-conference. That probably would have helped.
                          And nobody has said anything about it being DU's fault, from what I see. We simply pointed out why the schedule matters and what it affects. I haven't seen anyone here saying DU is in the wrong for having the schedule they have, or that they intentionally did it, or whatever. If that has been done, please point it out and I will correctly chastise those people. I have simply explained why the teams they have played so far matters and why it is worth pointing out. I don't care if you play all NAIA and D-III schools. Feel free. I just explained why people talk like DU actually has two less wins than they do - because that's how it is scored in the grand scheme of things for D-II.

Comment

Originally posted by champgymusa View Post
                            I gotta go with Kle on this one. DUPanthers keeps bringing up lack of respect and complaints about people criticizing the schedule. In this thread, there are only congrats that I see. The comments about the schedule are in relation to how DU's record will play out for PO seedings. It actually had little to do with DU, but rather a hope that some GLIAC teams MAY have another opponent at .500. That's where this started. DUP then took it as a shot that their record is suspect since it's not all D2. THAT wasn't the point a bit. DUp can and should support his Panthers, but he's gone too far on the the schedule. It seemed like he may not understand how the PO seedings are determined and some tried to explain.

Again, especially DUP, someone tell me where someone bagged DU for scheduling non-D2games? I didn't see it. Point it out (maybe there is one? but clearly the majority have congratulated DU.)

Comment

There is no room for intelligent conversation in this forum. Please come here with only inflamed egos or sarcasm. Nothing less will be tolerated...
                              No on the fact sides it will be interesting to see how DU moves forward when they have to recruit to NCAA standards and not the NAIA levels that were given a pass on for a few years...the last chance U guys MIGHT have a little tougher time getting in. Whatever happens it is nice to have a back yard rival for GVSU in sports. Best of luck to your team moving forward, except of course when you play GVSU, no luck that day, just good health!
                              Sparky is a good guy he will get you some wins!!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X