Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Tale of Two Conferences

Midway through the season, the GLIAC has stratified like a geologic formation. The top five teams (Ferris, GV, D-port, Ashland, and SVSU) are sitting with a combined conference record of 15-2. The bottom dwellers (Tech, Northwood, NMU, and Wayne) are 1-15. It reminds me of a family where the big brothers are taking candy away from their baby sisters. In effect, no contest.

Instead of joking about the Lakers and 'dogs moving up, should the cannon fodder be moving down? How about two divisions in the conference.....the programs geared for getting in the playoffs can be in the elite division and get their own trophy while the lower division can play for something more besides fun?

Re: A Tale of Two Conferences

Originally posted by TheCommissioner View Post
    Midway through the season, the GLIAC has stratified like a geologic formation. The top five teams (Ferris, GV, D-port, Ashland, and SVSU) are sitting with a combined conference record of 15-2. The bottom dwellers (Tech, Northwood, NMU, and Wayne) are 1-15. It reminds me of a family where the big brothers are taking candy away from their baby sisters. In effect, no contest.

Instead of joking about the Lakers and 'dogs moving up, should the cannon fodder be moving down? How about two divisions in the conference.....the programs geared for getting in the playoffs can be in the elite division and get their own trophy while the lower division can play for something more besides fun?
    How about the lower teams just recruit better and compete.

Comment

Comment

Wayne was in the NC game not long ago, and tech was playoff team more recently. SV has been down several years and is now in your top team list. DU is in second season. Opportunity is abound for all.

Comment

Originally posted by RatherwatchD2 View Post
          Wayne was in the NC game not long ago, and tech was playoff team more recently. SV has been down several years and is now in your top team list. DU is in second season. Opportunity is abound for all.
          You're more optimistic than I am.

I think GV and Ferris built a such a culture of winning that everyone in those programs expects to make the playoffs and anything less is a disappointment no matter what the win-loss record looks like. There's a big difference between a goal, which all teams set, and an expectation. I think the GLIAC is heading toward a situation like the Big Ten during Bo and Woody's reign when it was the Big 2 and the Little 8.

Comment

Remember though. You are still in a second rate division and your greatness is all in your head and about .01 percent of the nation.

Comment

Midway through the season, the GLIAC has stratified like a geologic formation. The top five teams (Ferris, GV, D-port, Ashland, and SVSU) are sitting with a combined conference record of 15-2.
              That's a product of timing. The "1-15" teams haven't played each other yet and the "15-2" teams haven't played each other yet. It's a scheduling anomaly. Little can be drawn from it.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
                That's a product of timing. The "1-15" teams haven't played each other yet and the "15-2" teams haven't played each other yet. It's a scheduling anomaly. Little can be drawn from it.
                Plus, with Ferris and GVSU clashing next week, one of those teams are going to be picking up a loss, and I would believe that the other teams will get to pick up wins and losses as well. Another two weeks and things will look different in the standings.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                Working...
                X