Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The State of Wayne State

The State of Wayne State is not good. Not good at all. Please can anyone post their thoughts on how or why this program has stumbled so much the past 5 years?

Re: The State of Wayne State

don't know - it is hard to imagine they could fall to basically a winless team this year - you should know better - what do you think?

Comment

I will have to take my time and respond to this in depth; but the bottom line is we don't have the talent we used to have. Virtually every position has fallen off except linebacker.

Comment

Could it be that 2010 and 2011 were nothing more than an anomaly? Since 2011, Wayne State has averaged a 6-5 record with three .500 and below seasons. Maybe Winters and Co were nothing more than a mirage of something great.

Comment

Originally posted by NewEraWarrior View Post
          The State of Wayne State is not good. Not good at all. Please can anyone post their thoughts on how or why this program has stumbled so much the past 5 years?
          [I] will try. It has been my observation that the program has been terrible at the recruiting and/or development of the quarterback position. Winters is a good coach but he(being a great running back himself) has beenso very successful with recruiting and developing running backs. This is good, but after seeing the success that other teams in the gliac have had in the past 15 years it appears that Wayne State has recruited some good heralded qbs but they have tried and died. Look at Ferris and their success at turning around the program. After watching Brady and Mahommes last night, it cemented in my mind that a team is only as good as its qb. Now you have to have some descent offensive line play to help, but Wayne has had that in the past and could not overcome quarterbacks who can not run well, throw accurately, or both. Im sure some have arrived on campus, but they have not been developed. IMO

Comment

Yes, as each year goes by the 2008-2011 seasons seem to be just a 4 year stretch where the stars aligned. It is certainly plausible to say/think that those years just happened to have a special mix of players and coaches that were simply talented and complemented each other nearly perfectly. When I try to determine the common denominator, right now it looks like the players that were there at that time. Many of the coaches have stayed intact with the exception of Hauser (D Coordinator), Heffernen (O-Line), Neal (WR coach), and the linebackers coach. Also the strength coach Harker, who is back at Wayne now but not sure if he is involved w/ football anymore.

Comment

I agree with much of what's been said so far. If you watched the game between FSU and GV the other night it was obvious that the level of talent and athleticism on each team was leaps and bounds better than Wayne State.
              I don't think that Winters' coaching methods or philosophy have changed significantly since 2011 but it seems that the quality of his recruits has decreased since then. It's almost as if once his job became secure that he started going for the "safe" recruit as opposed to a kid that may have more talent but may be shaky academically or the talented kid that might need to deal with a character issue so as to reduce the potential that it might negatively impact his program.
              Aside from the "safe" recruit theory, as sandman pointed out, Winters has never been good at recruiting quality QB's and this has hurt the overall success of the team over the years.
              On the other hand, as BeachinLaker mentioned, Wayne State's short rise to the top could just be an anomaly. It's beginning to look more and more like that's the case. Winters in reality is just an ordinary coach who parlayed two exceptional seasons into a long term career.

Comment

The reservation I have w/ the QB theory during the 4 year stretch of 8-3, 6-5, 9-2, and 12-4 seasons, the QB play was never the "X-Factor". The QB play would be reminiscent of a Joe Flacco style, not very mobile and more of a game manager. My honest take, the recruiting has been below average and the mental side of the team/motivation of the team does not match in my opinion what Wayne State's football program is all about. I don't see players w/ chips on their shoulders anymore, I don't see pure passion and emotion on the field, at least not enough of it. Dancing around the field and being a "showy" player does not fit the Wayne State mentality. Having been associate w/ the program for a long time now, the program is gritty, blue collar, and for simplicity sake an "underdog" type of program. It seems to me we are getting players (for the most part) who don't quite seem to fit that description and it shows.

Comment

Does the AD have any thoughts of making any changes at WSU? I would think the alumni are making their voices known? Perhaps a great grad rate is all they are looking for? Its a tough deal.

Comment

Originally posted by champgymusa View Post
                    Does the AD have any thoughts of making any changes at WSU? I would think the alumni are making their voices known? Perhaps a great grad rate is all they are looking for? Its a tough deal.
                    The AD and head coach are good pals that go back to their days at U of Akron. The AD is solidly behind the head coach and I doubt the AD is thinking of making a change even if WSU goes 1-10. If this trend continues for another season the pressure might be enough for the AD to have to act. As for graduation rate, this is a source of pride for both the head coach and AD and I'm sure affects how they recruit.

Comment

Originally posted by WayneStatesman View Post
                      The AD and head coach are good pals that go back to their days at U of Akron. The AD is solidly behind the head coach and I doubt the AD is thinking of making a change even if WSU goes 1-10. If this trend continues for another season the pressure might be enough for the AD to have to act. As for graduation rate, this is a source of pride for both the head coach and AD and I'm sure affects how they recruit.
                      Got to say, I agree that at this point the AD must be held accountable. A season this embarrassing and devastating has to fall on the very top of the chain. This program is in a VERY dangerous time. It is at a breaking point, we have all but lost our "allure" that came w/ playing for a National Championship seven years ago. This program is in danger of once again falling into a pit of mediocrity for decades to come.

Comment

Originally posted by NewEraWarrior View Post
                        Got to say, I agree that at this point the AD must be held accountable. A season this embarrassing and devastating has to fall on the very top of the chain. This program is in a VERY dangerous time. It is at a breaking point, we have all but lost our "allure" that came w/ playing for a National Championship seven years ago. This program is in danger of once again falling into a pit of mediocrity for decades to come.
                        That NC game was obviously cursed. Pitt has only fielded a good team once since then. I think we have to sacrifice a goat or something before either program can stop sucking.

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
                          That NC game was obviously cursed. Pitt has only fielded a good team once since then. I think we have to sacrifice a goat or something before either program can stop sucking.
                          :laugh: At least you did get a national championship out of that deal..

Comment

The AD and administration need to seriously assess what direction they want the football program to go. If they want to actually compete in the GLIAC and be in the upper echelon of DII then what they're doing isn't working. If that isn't a priority, then they either shouldn't have a football team or consider competing at the DIII level. However, I think the only way they could have a D3 footballl team is if the entire athletic program drops to that level and I think the rest of our sports teams would most likely balk at that prospect.

Comment

I think the rest of the programs at Wayne State are doing fine in Division 2. The football team and mens basketball team seem to be of concern to me as far as not being able to compete in the Gliac. Too bad these are the teams that are talked about the most but that is college sports reality. Great people in the Athletic Department, who really have upgraded the total Athletic feeling at WSU. I have been following WSU since the sixties and will to the end. People do not realize how bad it used to be here prior to the new regime coming in in 2000. The years of Joique Bell and the NC game encouraged us all that things had changed for the better. Well they have since the old days but not enough for the new days. It is just that somehow the football team has regressed in comparison to the rest of the league. Mens basketball isn't far behind. Just wait till this year after a mediocre season and losing 6 of their 7 leading scorers to graduation. Im not happy and agree with, to a certain degree, with all of you fellow supporters. Love the sincere interest. Wished that I had more answers than the following two.

Football- recruit and or train D-1 level qbs. Like our two current league leaders.

Mens Basketball- bring in some centers and power forwards to add to the quality backcourt people that they always seem to recruit and develop.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X