Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AFCA Coaches Poll

Re: AFCA Coaches Poll

What did you think was going to happen? This is a pointless thing to have any issue with. Where in any poll has any team ever lost and only dropped one or two spots? It is essentially routine to drop at least five spots in the best case scenario after a loss.
    2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Comment

agreed - but I will see what D2 poll does - 3 lost to 2 in the last couple minutes of the game - 5 lost, to me GV should drop to 5, no further - but who knows, we will see

Comment

Actually, I figured that GV would drop to 10 or lower. It seams like a loss.. any loss, takes one down 10+ slots. I typically question that premise, but it's pretty usual. But I also doubt much effort is put into these things. AND I do wish that poll voters wouldn't just drop or raise teams, but rather do the smell test and consider if they think a team below would likely knock off the team above. If so, they should be higher. For me, it's throw the record out and look at the quality of the team. I think many a voter looks to much at records (though they do count for something) and not quality of team.
          But yeah, in D2, these don't mean a thing. Now soon we can start moaning about the criteria used in the RRs. After all these years, I'm still not clear how they figure it out there. Some have been close, but every year we all see at least a few head scratchers out there. Keeps the boards active.:good:
          Last edited by Redwing; 10-15-2018, 10:49 AM.

Comment

If GV had been given a participation ribbon, would the drop be a little less hurtful?

Regional Rankings come out soon. That is the "poll" that warrants attention.

Comment

Comment

If all teams win out, it'll be interesting to see how they handle the regional rankings with NWMSU and GV each having 1 loss and OBU undefeated. Still haven't figured out their formula for that but can't see OBU handling either 1 loss team in head-to-head. Wonder how much SOS factors in over a team being undefeated.

Comment

Originally posted by DawgUp View Post
                  If all teams win out, it'll be interesting to see how they handle the regional rankings with NWMSU and GV each having 1 loss and OBU undefeated. Still haven't figured out their formula for that but can't see OBU handling either 1 loss team in head-to-head. Wonder how much SOS factors in over a team being undefeated.
                  Well the problem for OBU is that their conference plays nothing but conference games. Everyone plays each other. So all of their SOS should be .500. GV is going to have a good SOS because UIndy is going to be undefeated most likely (outside of the GV game) and Dixie is going to finish, at worst, .500.

I don't know how often it is an undefeated team is below any team with one loss, though. I haven't paid enough attention to the records of the top few seeds to see if that happens often. I would think the one loss for GV or NWMS is enough to push them below any undefeated, no matter who it is.

Comment

Originally posted by DawgUp View Post
                    Says the guy who's team was nearly upset in the first round by this mostly intact and improved Ouachita squad.

Comment

Originally posted by Finishempty Fred View Post
                      Says the guy who's team was nearly upset in the first round by this mostly intact and improved Ouachita squad.
                      What team was it that beat Ferris in the Regional Final? I don't recall that team's conference affiliation....

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post
                        What team was it that beat Ferris in the Regional Final? I don't recall that team's conference affiliation....
                        Hmmmm right on the tip of my tongue but I can't quite remember the team, but I do believe they were from the GAC.

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post
                          Well the problem for OBU is that their conference plays nothing but conference games. Everyone plays each other. So all of their SOS should be .500. GV is going to have a good SOS because UIndy is going to be undefeated most likely (outside of the GV game) and Dixie is going to finish, at worst, .500.

I don't know how often it is an undefeated team is below any team with one loss, though. I haven't paid enough attention to the records of the top few seeds to see if that happens often. I would think the one loss for GV or NWMS is enough to push them below any undefeated, no matter who it is.
                          I'm not positive, but pretty sure that only in region OOC games count. I suspect this could work in GV's favor since only Indy would get pulled in... This is for the SOS number. Not sure if/how it shows up in the other metrics. The out of regions do show in W/L metric, but no clue on those other ones. And rumor has it that the Road record kept GV out last season. If so, that could hurt NW's rank with the one road loss... assuming GV wins out (which is not a lock with Saggy coming up.)

Still, no clue how one can jump an undefeated if one has a 1 loss. So much has changed since that GV/NW bump down.

Comment

So what if Ferris loses later in the season and they were actually overrated at #3, should GV drop as well due to losing to what is now say the #15 team? How far do we go with this? It could be endless.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwing View Post
                              I'm not positive, but pretty sure that only in region OOC games count. I suspect this could work in GV's favor since only Indy would get pulled in... This is for the SOS number. Not sure if/how it shows up in the other metrics. The out of regions do show in W/L metric, but no clue on those other ones. And rumor has it that the Road record kept GV out last season. If so, that could hurt NW's rank with the one road loss... assuming GV wins out (which is not a lock with Saggy coming up.)

Still, no clue how one can jump an undefeated if one has a 1 loss. So much has changed since that GV/NW bump down.
                              There's an in-region record criteria that Dixie would not be included as a win in, but SOS is determined using all opponents, regardless of which region they are.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X