Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Eligibility question.

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post
    I just don't think the NCAA is going to do anything during this season. If anything happens, it will be in the off-season, IMO. I just don't think worrying about how it impacts this year's playoffs is going to matter at all.
    Is that because most of us are pretty cynical with the NCAA and the speed of which they move or is there precedent? I don't have any idea, but with this specific case, the data is cut and dry. I don't read anywhere where self reporting trumps the penalty of playing an ineligible player. Now this may precipitate additional scrutiny of a program, which clearly would take more time as well as open the door to interpretation. So maybe they don't want to access any penalty until everything is closed.

I mean, it's not like one is excused from playing an ineligible just because they didn't know better. Ferris admitted guilt by saying themselves that they played an ineligible so that isn't in question. And you don't ask to reinstate an eligible player.:doh: This is where I think Ferris tripped up. IMO, they should have come forward with saying that they are removing the player based on internal conflicting rule interpretation. Instead they just stated that he's ineligible.

But like most others, I too wouldn't be surprised if we don't hear much until post season. Though, the conference and the NCAA has to be a bit concerned with having a potential champion (conference and NCAA) be stripped of a title in one of its major sports. Sure it's D2, but that's not the kind of news one wants out there. It's much easier to eliminate a talented team with a fairly straightforward rule violation (though I don't think that even Ferris's worst case would eliminate them, unless more "oops" somehow surface.)

Comment

Originally posted by Redwing View Post
      Is that because most of us are pretty cynical with the NCAA and the speed of which they move or is there precedent? I don't have any idea, but with this specific case, the data is cut and dry. I don't read anywhere where self reporting trumps the penalty of playing an ineligible player. Now this may precipitate additional scrutiny of a program, which clearly would take more time as well as open the door to interpretation. So maybe they don't want to access any penalty until everything is closed.

I mean, it's not like one is excused from playing an ineligible just because they didn't know better. Ferris admitted guilt by saying themselves that they played an ineligible so that isn't in question. And you don't ask to reinstate an eligible player.:doh: This is where I think Ferris tripped up. IMO, they should have come forward with saying that they are removing the player based on internal conflicting rule interpretation. Instead they just stated that he's ineligible.

But like most others, I too wouldn't be surprised if we don't hear much until post season. Though, the conference and the NCAA has to be a bit concerned with having a potential champion (conference and NCAA) be stripped of a title in one of its major sports. Sure it's D2, but that's not the kind of news one wants out there. It's much easier to eliminate a talented team with a fairly straightforward rule violation (though I don't think that even Ferris's worst case would eliminate them, unless more "oops" somehow surface.)
      I just don't recall a time where the NCAA punished a team in-season with anything that was going in to place that year. I don't remember a time where that ever happened. That doesn't mean it hasn't, I just don't recall such a thing happening. It usually takes months for the NCAA to complete an investigation, regardless.

In the SVSU case with Randy Awrey and his kids with illegal housing, SVSU self-imposed forfeiting all GLIAC games in 2005 and 2007, which is why theirs turned in to losses in that case.

One interesting note...and I'm not saying it is related...but part of that fiasco included Tesfa Smith being suspended from off-campus recruiting for 30 days. He is currently on Ferris' staff.

http://blog.mlive.com/grpress/2007/1...coach_for.html
      Last edited by KleShreen; 10-23-2018, 11:23 AM.
      2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Originally posted by IM N GUD H&NZ BEARCAT View Post
        I believe 8 games?
        Yup.. but from the handbook:

? Play at least eight Division II opponents during the regular season (there will be an appeals process available in 2018 if
        a given institution is not able to satisfy this requirement);
        ? Play at least 10 opponents during the regular season. An institution may submit a waiver request to the football committee
        for their consideration if a given institution is not able to satisfy this requirement.

I wonder then how those 4 games come into play... Are they considered played opponents? I suspect that they may not since that nullification doc implies that one just removes some fraction from the records. But we can't influence it, so it's a waiting game.

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post
          I just don't think the NCAA is going to do anything during this season. If anything happens, it will be in the off-season, IMO. I just don't think worrying about how it impacts this year's playoffs is going to matter at all.
          exactly...the ncaa doesnt give a flying f about ncaa d2 football...not one bit...it was just a week ago that they figured out where the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP game was going to be played for christs sake

Comment

Originally posted by dvaara View Post
            exactly...the ncaa doesnt give a flying f about ncaa d2 football...not one bit...it was just a week ago that they figured out where the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP game was going to be played for christs sake
            But the Conference SHOULD. Though, I'm not sure what is best for the conference. However, I'm not seeing other members flocking to support TA and company.

Comment

How much of a drop off is it between the ineligible player and his replacement or will we find out on Saturday?

Comment

Originally posted by Wallst View Post
                How much of a drop off is it between the ineligible player and his replacement or will we find out on Saturday?
                None. Wasn't in the 2 deep rotation. Only played mop up at the end of games.

Comment

Originally posted by DawgUp View Post
                  None. Wasn't in the 2 deep rotation. Only played mop up at the end of games.
                  Thanks for the answer. So an error or honest mistake instead of trying to "cheat". Probably shouldn't have happened and should have been caught by the compliance office but didn't affect any games. Interesting to see what the NCAA will do and when. I guess also IF.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X