Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ferris May Have to Forfeit Four

Originally posted by Redwing View Post
    Well, XSU did petition to reinstate him. That's why I'm asking. Is the deal closed? Nothing from the authorities... pretty bush league IMO.

Comment

Beachinlaker - Thanks for the explanation. I am aware that GV's academic requirements are a bit stiffer than FSU. I don't know for sure just how many Ferris players would be able to make the roster at Hillsdale. The academic requirements have to be one of the highest in DII, if not the highest. I think if a youngster has a 3.5 or 3.6 at the lowest as GPA out of high school, he would be on the bubble and would have to have maybe a 27 or above on the entrance exams. These numbers are, I admit, off the top of my head. I didn't do a lot of research, but Hillsdale doesn't often make those number available to everyone, especially on the individual level. Not many Hillsdale players have been D1 transfers, although the QB, Chance Stewart, was originally a B10 recruit out of Sturgis, MI High School. He ended up at D1 Western Michigan and they redshirted him. The following season he transferred to Hillsdale where he has friends and relatives. I'm only aware of four, maybe five, D1 transfers during the past 30 years.

Comment

So the kid may be screwed because he got sold bad info from ferris while they get a handslap? Hopefully the school is doing everything they can to make it work out for him.

Comment

Originally posted by DaleDude View Post
          Beachinlaker - Thanks for the explanation. I am aware that GV's academic requirements are a bit stiffer than FSU. I don't know for sure just how many Ferris players would be able to make the roster at Hillsdale. The academic requirements have to be one of the highest in DII, if not the highest. I think if a youngster has a 3.5 or 3.6 at the lowest as GPA out of high school, he would be on the bubble and would have to have maybe a 27 or above on the entrance exams. These numbers are, I admit, off the top of my head. I didn't do a lot of research, but Hillsdale doesn't often make those number available to everyone, especially on the individual level. Not many Hillsdale players have been D1 transfers, although the QB, Chance Stewart, was originally a B10 recruit out of Sturgis, MI High School. He ended up at D1 Western Michigan and they redshirted him. The following season he transferred to Hillsdale where he has friends and relatives. I'm only aware of four, maybe five, D1 transfers during the past 30 years.
          internet search says 3.81 is the average and 1400/1980 on the SAT

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
            internet search says 3.81 is the average and 1400/1980 on the SAT
            Per the GVSU Accountability Report, 96% of incoming freshmen have a GPA of 3.0 or higher - tied with Michigan State and second only to University of Michigan. Ferris is second to last at 68%. Private colleges are not included on the list, but I would wager that Hillsdale would be tied for 1st at 100% with an average like that.

The rankings are as follows:
            1. University of Michigan - 100%
            2. Grand Valley State University - 96%
            2. Michigan State University - 96%
            4. Michigan Tech University - 95%
            5. University of Michigan-Dearborn - 94%
            6. Saginaw Valley State University - 82%
            7. Central Michigan University - 78%
            7. University of Michigan-Flint - 78%
            9. Oakland University - 77%
            10. Wayne State University - 76%
            11. Eastern Michigan University - 74%
            11. Lake Superior State University - 74%
            11. Western Michigan University - 74%
            14. Ferris State University - 68%
            15. Northern Michigan University - 53%

Comment

Accepted GPA, etc... Has a lot to do with population, property values, and how much room and willingness a school has for growth than anything else in a lot of cases.

Comment

I mean it's a great sales point and price driving excuse to say you have these standards, but it doesn't always translate to quality of education. (Which I believe is up to the buyer not the seller anyway.)

Not saying that's the case at GV at all. Just pointing out some truths.

Comment

Per Hillsdale's '18 signing day release, incoming class of 23 kids had an average GPA of 3.79. So you have some 4.00+ with AP and some 3.5s. A buddy on the staff told me their average ACT was between 28 and 29.

Here's the thing with such high standards...and this is from a purely non-athletic standpoint. There are a lot of bright, hard working kids, that will never test at a certain level or have GPAs lower than that who could still thrive in a tough academic environment. One of Pat Riepma's greatest gifts was his ability to go into the Detroit Public Schools and find kids who are incredible successes today because he was able to connect their abilities and not just their resumes with a great learning and football environment. Not only did they benefit from Hillsdale, Hillsdale benefitted incredibly from them.

When all you do is raise your bar, raise your bar with higher and higher standards you turn into Hogwarts....The world needs Muggles too.

Comment

LMAO again, GET A LIFE GV POPPETS - REALLY!
                    T.A. OWNS YOU AND YOU HAVE TO LIVE WITH IT!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X