Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So little game chatter.... Watcha got?

Yeah, I've been part of the problem too, but dang the GLIAC section has been pretty "football" quiet. So did most leave? How'd your team do? I'm not the best at this but I'll throw out a few items from GV's win over Edinboro:

Keep in mind, the Fighting Scots may not be the toughest opponent, but it's all we got for now.

As expected, the D looked solid, and then some. Many were quick to the ball and the line appeared to be a huge strength. LB's also looked pretty darn good. There were a few weak coverages, but for an opening game, hard to be that critical. And I'm pretty sure that fake punt was either the top or second longest gainer, so what's not to love?

The O had it's moments. Some good, some, well, not so good. The pick six looked pretty bad. Here's hoping that Cole learned a lesson. The other pic was a ball that came off a WR's hands on a high pass, so still a bit of blame on the QB. There were a few missed open WR's but nice to see the TE's catch some balls. One even for a TD. Boro blitzes a ton, so that likely didn't help the offensive flow much, especially with a mostly new Oline. They did appear to improve as the game moved along. As for the ground game, well I need an expert on this one. Buck ripped em good... especially with broken tackles. Not sure if it was bad tackling or strong running. Jack and Bryce were solid. Still, hard to get on the Lakers much when they put up over 500 yards. They do need to eliminate those turnovers and unforced penalties though. Delta should be a better test.

Special teams played OK. KO's were usually deep and well covered. I think punts were pretty solid.. not great, not bad. No field goals were attempted, but I'm guessing that even though all the PAT were good, the staff is, let's just say, hopeful with placekicking. Returns were pretty vanilla, but GV didn't muff or turn it over.

The season looks like it had a pretty good start. No injuries, a win, and likely some lessons learned. Delta seemed physical last year. It was a testy win, so it'll be interesting with what develops this Saturday. If you're in the area, come on out. Weather looks great and Lubbers will be buzzing!

GO Lakers!!

Agree on pretty much all counts. Edinboro was far from a formidable foe, but they did blitz like friggin' crazy so it wasn't bad for the OL to get an early test of sorts. For me, the O did look shaky but it also showed a significant amount of promise. Scheme was decidedly different, and appeared a lot more creative. Some of the pass plays left something to be desired, but there were several instances of route concepts that generated WIDE open receivers. Additionally, late releases to the backs happened, crossing routes were there, and some good use of slot and TE's. First game with some new things, new QB, and a mostly new OL...300+ on the ground and pushing 600 total? I'll take it. The points we left out there will get cleaned up as the weeks progress. Missing one of our starting WR's as well.

D was tremendous. 13 net yards rushing allowed was awesome, particularly considering EU got 21 on the fake punt. Again, hard to put an enormous amount of stock in it based on the opponent, but the D did what it did down our best DL starter and without a couple other guys from the two-deep. Plus, against an opponent like that they did what they should have...can't always say that, and we definitely can here.

Will know a great deal more after this Saturday for sure. Delta will be much more physical, and their QB should be a challenge to contain...we roughed him up a bit last year after he was pressed into service in the first quarter of last year's game, but he played a bunch last year after that and should be vastly improved.

Comment

IrishL... You did remind me that Cole did have some run plays. That's clearly been missing for more than a few years. Also, it seemed like more balls were thrown to the middle of the field. I suspect that allows for a higher int. chance, but I think we've all been frustrated with those constant sideline routes when we had some underneath options in the middle of the field open. Though it is said to not throw late over the middle, that TD to the TE was over the middle but clearly not late.

Comment

It was a good game - yes, the ability for the QB to run the ball was BIG - as much as I loved Bart his inability to run the ball limited him and the O - college football today HAS to have a QB that can throw it but also run it - the D was outstanding - the opponent wasn't that great but as what was said before, the D did what they had to do - see you next week for Delta

Comment

Originally posted by Redwing View Post
          IrishL... You did remind me that Cole did have some run plays. That's clearly been missing for more than a few years. Also, it seemed like more balls were thrown to the middle of the field. I suspect that allows for a higher int. chance, but I think we've all been frustrated with those constant sideline routes when we had some underneath options in the middle of the field open. Though it is said to not throw late over the middle, that TD to the TE was over the middle but clearly not late.
          Yep. While he did make a few mistakes, one thing that was VERY evident was his ability to keep a play alive. He had at least two or three big plays where he eluded rush and was able to provide time for a receiver to work open. Only recall one "late back over the middle"...which he did manage to complete, but agree that it's not an advisable practice.

Again, lots of "new" in this game. As long as we continue to see progress week over week things could be exciting...

Comment

Originally posted by Irishlaker View Post

Will know a great deal more after this Saturday for sure. Delta will be much more physical, and their QB should be a challenge to contain...we roughed him up a bit last year after he was pressed into service in the first quarter of last year's game, but he played a bunch last year after that and should be vastly improved.
            If Delta had a decent running game, I would give them the nod. They have a very respectable defense. I expect Lakers to take this, but won't be a cake walk, and in fact, this could be an upset special.
            But GSC teams have faired poorly against your conference.

** Also, Central Washington lost by only 10 to a pretty good Idaho Vandals team. I think if I had to bet on any top 10 upset, this would be the one.
            <>

Comment

Originally posted by Wide_Right View Post

If Delta had a decent running game, I would give them the nod. They have a very respectable defense. I expect Lakers to take this, but won't be a cake walk, and in fact, this could be an upset special.
              But GSC teams have faired poorly against your conference.

** Also, Central Washington lost by only 10 to a pretty good Idaho Vandals team. I think if I had to bet on any top 10 upset, this would be the one.
              I thought I heard that running was their strength on O? I may be too optimistic, but I'm thinking that goes right to the strength of GV's D. Looking at what DSU did last week though, I'm not seeing anything special with the DSU O. I'm still thinking a physical game. And honestly, no clue as to how much of an impact those transfers will have with Delta. I'm seeing a solid Laker win.

As for that team to the north, no clue what is going on with that D. I had expected a better game from that defense. Leave it to opening game issues? Staying tuned!

Comment

https://youtu.be/YzkMsl7azyw press conference and I also started a thread complete with game notes in the GSC forum.

Comment

Our D and D line is whipping GVSU but we can play & keep rotating 8-9 in and out! Long way to go though!

Comment

My God, this team lacks discipline.

Comment

Well they cleaned up the needless mistakes leading to penalties. I would say GV found a new QB.

Comment

Couldn't agree more. I think I said during spring practice, let one of the youngsters take the reins, and here we are. Never good to see someone get injured, but i think Peterson is the future, and it looks like he'll be throwing to Daevon Anderson.

Comment

That was rough. Peterson missed that wide open long play to Daevon, and then followed it up with 3 straight penalties on 3rd or 4th down to get Delta in to the endzone. But the team stayed with it and pulled through. Cade gonna have to work on his passing, but I really liked his will to win towards the end. Very Cullen-esque in how he was refusing to take the loss.
                          2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Congrats on the Win!! It was a hard fought game!! DSU lack of execution / odd play calls cost them again! Hopefully they will learn / grow from it!!

Comment

Originally posted by statesmen supporter View Post
                              Congrats on the Win!! It was a hard fought game!! DSU lack of execution / odd play calls cost them again! Hopefully they will learn / grow from it!!
                              The rushing attack was solid, but it sure seemed like your QB panicked a lot whenever there was any pressure on him. He was either running in to sacks or throwing really bad balls up for grabs. Feels like there should be more designed runs for him. I haven't watched any of your games besides these two against GV in the last two years, but I would guess that most teams are stacking the box and forcing you to throw?
                              2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X