Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

And he's 25-31 at Buffalo with not many better schools jumping to grab him from there.
      2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Originally posted by lakerblue View Post

the lakerman, billy, irish1916, beachin.

since you guys have all the answers, who is better for the job. Where is your short list and who is on it.

make sure they will be able to consistently win games, keep the APR and the academics in check for every student, graduate them, and get things built.

again I ask- this is division 2 football not division 1. you do not just fire a guy for losing rival games and still having 10 win seasons- there is a lot more that goes into it.
        the GLIAC is a complete 180 from when BK and CM were coaching, something i thought most of you guys would comprehend.

I truly am curious to see who you think would be a good fit for this job.

Comment

Exactly. That is the biggest thing that GV fans need to understand. They don't seem to understand that the run GV went on for almost a decade was a run that has only ever been matched in college football history by teams with leather helmets, NWMS a little after, the two huge D-III powers, and...? I guess Alabama for about six years? I don't know. It is an absolutely impossible level to stay at for any kind of significant length of time. I don't know why anyone would expect 15-0, 14-0, 14-1, 13-1 seasons every year. That's asinine. If we're upset at 10-3 or 11-2 seasons being the "norm" then we're spoiled beyond belief.

Comment

Comment

D-II has changed substantially since the days when you could "out muscle, out speed, and out play our opponents even if they knew what was coming." In the early 2000's, there were only 10 schools in the country that even tried to be good at D-II football. There were only 10 schools where any D1 guys even cared to look at if they wanted to keep playing football. That's how you end up with Cullen Finnerty, Keyonta Marshall, Astin Martin, etc. Additionally, GV's standards for what kind of athletes they accept has changed rapidly. Other schools have not adopted that, as a way of trying to be relevant on the national stage. They'd rather sacrifice their academic profile and standards for a shot at a title, or they don't have good academic standards to begin with.

I feel like a lot of people forget that Chuck Martin had the same issue on offense. GV ran the same five plays on offense when Chuck Martin was there. They still had success. People on here were actively rooting for him to go take a MAC job to get him out of GV. Be careful what you wish for.

I guess it all depends what you think "vying for a national championship every year" means. I would consider 11-2 or 12-2 to be pretty spectacular seasons and vying for a national championship. Of course, the issue being that you are in the same conference and region as one of the best football coaches in America. In the same way that SVSU never won anything in the early 2000's because they had to deal with GV and couldn't get through them. Those SVSU teams were top 5 in the country, but they have zero to show for it. Now GV is doing the same with Ferris at their high-water mark. Eventually, Ferris will fall off the top of the perch and there will be an open spot for someone else, maybe GV, to get back to going undefeated all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by lakerblue View Post

the lakerman, billy, irish1916, beachin.

since you guys have all the answers, who is better for the job. Where is your short list and who is on it.

make sure they will be able to consistently win games, keep the APR and the academics in check for every student, graduate them, and get things built.

again I ask- this is division 2 football not division 1. you do not just fire a guy for losing rival games and still having 10 win seasons- there is a lot more that goes into it.
                the GLIAC is a complete 180 from when BK and CM were coaching, something i thought most of you guys would comprehend.

I truly am curious to see who you think would be a good fit for this job.

I never ever have said to get rid of MM

Comment

LOL - let me be clear, GV DOES NOT HAVE THE BEST TALENT IN D2 - we have some really good players, some vying for the best in their position but that is a dumb statement - there are a lot of great players in our league alone let along the rest of D2 - the admission standards AND what the administration wants to see are WHOLLY DIFFERENT then they were back in the day - some guys BK was able to get in here would NEVER BE ALLOWED TODAY - also, someone said to look at the game films from the early 2000's, have you watched ND any since BK has gotten there?? - he doesn't run what he ran back in the early 2000's either - so is he a bad coach too? - get a grip and realize where we are - GVSU, Xerris, Assland, Saggy and now Davenport are going to put a quality product on the field most of the time and we will have tough games against them - now, we pick up a few key players that are in fact the BEST in their position and we will win our share - we also have been trying to pick up competitive OC games as well - Delta and Pueblo case in point - YES, I WANT CHAMPIONSHIPS TOO and want to see both sides of the ball play better - I think we are heading in the right direction with the mobile QB's we recruited last year - lets see how these young guys pan out, I think they will win a lot of games - peace

Comment

Assland pulled it out today - if the Davenport DB hadn't got a penalty for talking they would have got the ball back with a chance to win

Comment

Originally posted by BillyGV View Post
                      Assland pulled it out today - if the Davenport DB hadn't got a penalty for talking they would have got the ball back with a chance to win

Comment

I think that both of you make valid points. In my opinion does GV get talent near/at the top of DII? Yes. Do they have THE top talent in DII? How can anyone say that about any team with any certainty. The big thing is that the gap in talent from top teams to the next best teams in the 2000s was big, and now the gap is considerably smaller (especially in the GLIAC). IMHO there were 5-10 programs in the 2000s that got most of the top talent, and now there are a couple dozen.
                        Last edited by Gliac_fan10; 10-12-2019, 11:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gliac_fan10 View Post

I think that both of you make valid points. In my opinion does GV get talent near/at the top of DII? Yes. Do they have THE top talent in DII? How can anyone say that about any team with any certainty. The big thing is that the gap in talent from top to next in the 2000s was big, and now the gap is considerably smaller (especially in the GLIAC). IMHO there were 5-10 programs in the 2000s that got most of the top talent, and now there are a couple dozen.
                          What do you mean by "top to next?"

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

What do you mean by "top to next?"
                            Teams. I put that poorly, hopefully I make some sense now with an edit haha

Comment

In a conference as tough as the GLIAC a coach that's good enough to produce a 1 or 2 loss team is good enough to win it all. MM is good enough but he has a Jayru problem, we all do :). GV has championship talent and so does Ferris but Ferris has Jayru the Damaga (Hip Hop fans may get that reference) so either find a scheme to neutralize him or Ya playin yaself.

Seriously though this is Jayru's last year so I'd hang on to MM because even if you were to capture lightning in a bottle and hire the perfect replacement it will take him 2 or 3 years to get to the NC (Kerwin Bell was in his third year VSU last year), he might even do it sooner but the sooner he got that NC the sooner he will be hired away. GV has the perfect D2 coach, I put Coach Mitchell in a category with Coach Dean (VSU's former coach and current HC of UWG). They do it right, turning boys into good men & football players, with a few even going to the NFL, in addition their teams are continually among the best in the country.

Dean has two NC's and I'd bet dollars to donuts that MM will get a couple before he's done, meanwhile you have a stable program, The model of D2.
                              Last edited by boyblue; 10-13-2019, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X