Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Wayne State For Real?

In the same way that Michigan State's measuring stick game was against OSU last week, this week will be telling as to what Wayne can do with the rest of GLIAC play. Ultimately, are we going to see the Warriors that got demolished by ranked Slippery Rock and now-ranked Truman State, or will we see something like the win against then-ranked SVSU (I do not expect a Quincy or NMU style beatdown)? My heart says there's a chance we win this, but my head says that the Warriors have some flaws that can be heavily exploited by good teams. In most of the previous matchups against Ferris, Wayne simply could not score and could not contain the Bulldogs. On the other hand, last year was incredibly close and Wayne will definitely have a home field advantage on homecoming.

Wayne State has definitely improved since the start of the season, especially on defense. However there is a talent gap between Wayne and Ferris State that can't be overlooked. It doesn't mean Ferris is a lock to win the game. Anything can happen in a homecoming game and I would love to see the Warriors upset the Bulldogs but the odds favor Ferris State especially if they can shut down or limit Wayne's running game.

Comment

I just don't understand how Wayne can seemingly never find a capable QB. I've been following the GLIAC for over 15 years now, and in that time, Wayne hasn't had what I would call even an average QB. Do QB's not want to go there because of the run-focused offense? Is Winters just not good at evaluating QB's?
      2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

I can't recall seeing a QB over the past 6 years who I would trust to go out and win a game if the run game couldn't take hold. While I think Kupp is the best option right now, to get anywhere against more talented teams, he's gonna have to cut down mistakes. No more first pass or triple coverage INTs. I do like that he has taken on punting duties as that opens up the playbook if we need to make a reach. I'm not sure if it's an evaluation problem, as the quarterbacks brought in seem to be from successful programs, but maybe their development hasn't hit early enough to make clear impact.

Comment

Comment

Good observation on QB development or lack thereof . Zezula is a shining example. The kid did an admirable job as a true freshman being thrust into the starting QB job in the first quarter of the first game of the season and playing well for a true freshman for the rest of the season. Based on his freshman season I thought he would develop into a quality D2 level QB but it didn't turn out that way. Instead his career went down hill and he ended up leaving the program in the middle of his senior year.

Comment

I guess the answer to the original question is no, Wayne State is not for real. This game (still in 2nd Q) is shaping up like the Slippery Rock game. Ferris State is man for man way, way better than Wayne State.

Comment

Comment

Nope.

Comment

Is it just me or is this question asked every year with the answer being no every time? Wayne State is in the heart of a talent rich region. There's no reason they should be as bad as they are. The only way they'll be "for real" is if they move on from Winters. Until that time, you might as well stop asking the question.

Like Kle said, they haven't had a QB worth anything in 8 years and even the 2011 QB was more of a successful manager of the offense as opposed to being the guy that carried the unit. You can't win in today's game without a good QB like you see at Ferris or like you saw at GVSU prior to the fall. The days of old where running backs dictated an offense's success are over.

Comment

The athletic/football department needs to look itself in the mirror and realize it has to change something in order to ever get back to the days of 2010/2011. How many times do you have to see the same result over and over again and not take action in changing things up?

Comment

Comment

Personally what I would like to see is a team that consistently contends for conference titles and PO spots. I can't believe any die-hard fan wouldn't feel the same way. The current philosophy seems to be let's field a team that has an occasional winning season as long as the players don't have any offf the field issues and mostly graduate. Otherwise I can't explain why Winters and his staff are still employed.
                          It seems to me that the AD-who is a bosom pal of Winters-is taking a hands-off approach to the football program, whatever happens, happens. I imagine when the AD sits down with the HC at the end of the season evaluation he says "Oh you had another losing season? Tough luck but we'll get 'em next year, right Paul?"

Comment

It seems there is only one solution, coach em hard. When you have less talent ya got to push your guys to the point beyond where even they believe they can go. The end result is you'll win a couple you shouldn't and with a special player or two you might win it all.

Comment

I am w/ WayneStatesman, if we aren't striving to compete for championships year in and year out, both conference and nationally, than what's the point? Approaching a season w/ the thought of "I hope we break .500 this year" is a loser's mentality. It's one thing for a program like Walsh or Lake Erie to have championship aspirations each year and call that unrealistic but once your program has proven they CAN compete on a championship level than the expectation should be to reach it again on a consistent basis. GV had to start somewhere right? And once that first successful run of GV teams happened, they rode that momentum to be consistently competitive each year. WSU showed those possibilities, going 8-3 in 2008, 6-5 in 2009 (Joique's SR year), 9-2 in 2010, and culminated w/ an NC appearance in 2011 knocking off several perennial programs during the PO run (all on the road). A four year run w/ a record of 35-14. After 2011, the programs record has been 38-44. Big difference huh?

So my point is, yes WSU fans ought to expect more and expect better. WSU had window to capitalize on that NC run and they did not take advantage of the peak in popularity of the program. I do agree it starts with recruiting and WSU's recruiting has faltered coincidentally with that underwhelming stretch.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X