Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's On The Hot Seat in the GLIAC?

Just curious as to who everyone thinks is on the Hot Seat. In my opinion, Winters was on the hot seat prior to the season, but saved himself. I have to think both of the UP coaches are getting pressure following the season. My NMU team hasn't shown much this year, but I hope they give Coach Nystrom one more chance. However, it might be tough if they finish the year with no GLIAC wins. In his tenure, there only have been 2 GLIAC wins (one coming from Davenport's first year in the conference). Let me know what ya'll think!

Comment

Originally posted by NMUCats23 View Post
      Just curious as to who everyone thinks is on the Hot Seat. In my opinion, Winters was on the hot seat prior to the season, but saved himself. I have to think both of the UP coaches are getting pressure following the season. My NMU team hasn't shown much this year, but I hope they give Coach Nystrom one more chance. However, it might be tough if they finish the year with no GLIAC wins. In his tenure, there only have been 2 GLIAC wins (one coming from Davenport's first year in the conference). Let me know what ya'll think!
      I agree that Nystrom and Olsen might be looking for jobs real soon. NMU and MTU both seem to have the same problem. They are wildly inconsistent. Every once in a while they put together an above average season but not regularly. If it wasnt for Mayon last year NMU might have been a 1 win team. They seem to be a lock for 1 win this year. If nothing else, they should beat MTU regularly. They should be able to win over the best talent in the UP and in the rest of the state based on facilities and the things Marquette has to offer. MTU started to decline in Kearley's last few years and havent been the same since. It seems to me that they have lost their identity. My son plays for Ferris. I was in Houghton for the game. I met a few MTU parents that weren't at all happy with the coaches. The QB got caught smoking weed and a few other starters were arrested. Apparently, none were suspended. MTU was always known as a smart, tough, and disciplined team. Maybe coaches have lost control or they are starting to recruit a different type of kid. MTU might have more arrests this year than FSU. I'm glad we dont lead the GLIAC in that category anymore. There hasnt been any progress for either program since Olsen and Nystrom took over. No signature wins for either one.

Winters has put together a solid season . They beat SVSU and Ashland. He is safe. I hear he is a good dude. I hope he keeps it going

Comment

Winters the coach? Infuriatingly average to good. His numbers against the current GLIAC (even with this 5-1 year) are abysmal. His offense works only if the run game isn't shut down. The 2011 season gets further and further away. I've never seen an elite (for D2) QB develop under his tenure (which is Wayne's greatest flaw). This season has been a step in the right direction and saved his job in the fans' eyes, but I've seen his teams regress later in similar situations. Winters the guy? Pretty freakin' cool.

It won't show in the W-L column, but I have to wonder if Ashland fans are getting restless with Coach Owens. He has GLIAC and South titles and playoff wins, but has been around the program a while. Probably not on the hot seat in the program though.

I'd say NMU, MTU, then Northwood are the hottest seats this year. Either way, it's looking more and more like schools will have to find the next Tony Annese to have high level success. The gap between Ferris and the rest of the GLIAC looks like the gap between OSU and the rest of the B1G.

Comment

Originally posted by cheeser12 View Post

I agree that Nystrom and Olsen might be looking for jobs real soon. NMU and MTU both seem to have the same problem. They are wildly inconsistent. Every once in a while they put together an above average season but not regularly. If it wasnt for Mayon last year NMU might have been a 1 win team. They seem to be a lock for 1 win this year. If nothing else, they should beat MTU regularly. They should be able to win over the best talent in the UP and in the rest of the state based on facilities and the things Marquette has to offer. MTU started to decline in Kearley's last few years and havent been the same since. It seems to me that they have lost their identity. My son plays for Ferris. I was in Houghton for the game. I met a few MTU parents that weren't at all happy with the coaches. The QB got caught smoking weed and a few other starters were arrested. Apparently, none were suspended. MTU was always known as a smart, tough, and disciplined team. Maybe coaches have lost control or they are starting to recruit a different type of kid. MTU might have more arrests this year than FSU. I'm glad we dont lead the GLIAC in that category anymore. There hasnt been any progress for either program since Olsen and Nystrom took over. No signature wins for either one.

Winters has put together a solid season . They beat SVSU and Ashland. He is safe. I hear he is a good dude. I hope he keeps it going
          Just curious but how many arrests has Ferris had this year? Is there an over/ under number that the school thinks is ok...you know...like as long as it is under X we are fine....but hit Y and look out we gotta talk about this?

Comment

Originally posted by MrsThortonMelon View Post

Just curious but how many arrests has Ferris had this year? Is there an over/ under number that the school thinks is ok...you know...like as long as it is under X we are fine....but hit Y and look out we gotta talk about this?
            Settle down Mrs Thornton Melon. It was a joke. My son plays there. Its never a good thing when a player gets arrested for any reason. It is a black eye for any program. I was actually making a joke about the situation. My point was that the school that has a reputation as "clean" seems to have more trouble than the school that has a history of accepting or recruiting players that have been in trouble. If you aren't aware of this, you haven't been paying attention.

FYI, I am all for second chances and I'm glad Ferris gives some of these kids that chance. Lord knows I have made many bad decisions in my life and Im thankful for those that gave me a second chance.

Again, just a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsThortonMelon View Post

Come on dude. You are like a broken record.

Comment

After last week, I have a hard time thinking they will not make some sort of change at NMU. You go from being a semi competitive team in 2016 to bottom of the league for 3 years. Something has to change. I think that without a win this weekend MTU will also be making a change. MTU doesn't settle for mediocrity like the Cats. I just hope the AD at NMU doesn't screw up another hire. That guy does not seem to care about restoring what was a prominent D2 football program.

Comment

Originally posted by NMUCats23 View Post
                  I don't see how either Olsen or Nystrom survive another season. NMU took a beating from SVSU this weekend. Unless they pull the upset of the year in the GLIAC against Ashland they will be winless in conference. NMU is just bad in all areas. They have more to offer than many of the other GLIAC schools, they just cant put it together. MTU also had a rough Saturday. The game wasn't as close as the score. MTU is solid defensively. Historically, their success came from a solid running game and efficient short passing game. The running game has been inconsistent and they QB play has been bad since Cowie left. What needs to happen is a total overhaul of the entire staff at both schools. Most D2 schools look to only replace the head coach. In most cases, that replacement comes from current staff. I think they should scrap both coaches and hit the reset button. They have both been bad for way too long. I understand hockey rules both these schools, however, the standard should be the same. Graduate players, win games and you are safe. Clearly , both NMU and MTU don't care about football.

Comment

Comment

I think NMU and Tech are safe for another year. My question would be about Northwood...I believe they have a new president. We'll see what happens there.

Comment

Originally posted by washedUPholder View Post
                        I think NMU and Tech are safe for another year. My question would be about Northwood...I believe they have a new president. We'll see what happens there.
                        Grand Valley has a new president as well and she is all about athletic's success. Could be the same boat???

Comment

Originally posted by bankslaker View Post

Grand Valley has a new president as well and she is all about athletic's success. Could be the same boat???
                          really? she is all about athletic success? what or whom told you that?

Comment

Originally posted by bankslaker View Post

Where do you get this idea? I believe T-Haas was a former coach and athletics director prior to arriving at GV, was he not?
                            2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

There seems to be some noise in Allendale lately. This month might prove interesting.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X