Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 35 Years Ago

November 10, 1984 is the last time Wayne State defeated Grand Valley...in Allendale nonetheless. With second place in the GLIAC, a possible playoff spot, and the Wooden Shoes Trophy on the line, both teams will have something to play for. As cliche as it sounds, the biggest key to success for WSU in this game is to play both sides of the ball for 4 quarters. In a few games this year, I've seen either the offense or defense disappear in the second half. To beat a team like the Lakers, the Warriors can't disappear offensively or give up unanswered points. Either way, it should be an exciting game!

I haven't been to an away game in a few seasons (job has me swamped on Saturdays) but I will try to get up to Allendale for this one. warriors have been showing some real heart and tenacity recently. Glad to see them getting things back together.

Comment

For all the flak we have given the coaching staff/administration the last few years, have to give credit to this year's squad for not throwing in the towel when it looked as bad as last year early in the season. The coaching staff has done a great job corralling the team and putting together strong game plans the previous 4 weeks. Also want to give love to the leaders on the team for keeping the moral and confidence high.

It's been an strange season to follow as they have looked absolutely terrible against their best competition but have also looked great against teams on their level. Beating SVSU and Ashland at home were tremendous wins even though that Ashland win almost was an outlandish collapse, they found a way to win.

So, it all comes down to this final game against GV. Until the updated regional rankings are released I won't know the implications but I'd say we have an outside chance to get into the playoffs but would need other teams to lose as well. Whereas GV might be on the outside looking in as well needing a win.

I'll leave it at this, winning this game would do wonders for the state of the program, regardless of making the playoffs or not. Losing in another noncompetitive manner would just flat out suck. Win or lose, I think it's been a successful season in terms of going in the right direction however losing would certainly dampen the excitement this season reestablished.

Comment

The team (especially the seniors) and staff definitely deserve props for salvaging what looked like a disaster of a season after the 1st 2 games. The offense and defense have looked great at times but as New Era pointed out neither has seemed to play a complete 4 quarter game.

What has me worried as far as playing GV is #1, GV will be PO'd because of their loss to FSU and ready to take it out on the next opponent who just so happens to be Wayne State, not to mention they need to win to have a shot at the playoffs and #2 despite the fact that Wayne has improved overall from the start of the season they really got a beat-down at the hands of Ferris whereas GV only lost to them by 5 pts.

It is nice to have a meaningful game in November for a change. Go Warriors!

Comment

Originally posted by mtsax305 View Post
          November 10, 1984 is the last time Wayne State defeated Grand Valley...in Allendale nonetheless. With second place in the GLIAC, a possible playoff spot, and the Wooden Shoes Trophy on the line, both teams will have something to play for. As cliche as it sounds, the biggest key to success for WSU in this game is to play both sides of the ball for 4 quarters. In a few games this year, I've seen either the offense or defense disappear in the second half. To beat a team like the Lakers, the Warriors can't disappear offensively or give up unanswered points. Either way, it should be an exciting game!
          I think the only possible playoff spot on the line is GVSU's. I can't see WSU being in contention with their 3 losses, even if they beat GVSU. They would likely jump GVSU, but with Henderson St playing an undefeated team (and having one loss only), I can't see WSU jumping Henderson. Ft. Hays also likely stays ahead of WSU.

GVSU has a lot to play for because they will likely be outside this weekend, but with NWMSU and Henderson playing undefeated teams, it is possible they lose and GVSU jumps over one or both to get in. With Indy where they are earned access won't be an issue, even though they won't win the GLVC.

Comment

Just speechless after this one. I just never thought I'd see this happen, and to have it look like this nonetheless. I'm still processing a take on the team moving forward, but it's time to enjoy this win!

Comment

I gotta admit I got a little choked up after the game ended seeing how happy and elated the team and coaching staff were. I have to say that in the end this years team may be better than the 2011 squad, at least in the regular season. The 2011 team had a great playoff run and I don't want to diminish that. However I think this years team had If I'm not mistaken, the best GLIAC record they've ever had, percentage wise. Also I think this years team had more wins against quality teams than the 2011 team did in the regular season. If they only had one more win they'd be playoff bound.

At any rate I congratulate the team and coaching staff for turning what looked like a disaster into one of the more memorable seasons I've experienced. Isn't it ironic that at the start of the season, we were speculating if Winters would survive and now it's the GV faithful calling for their head coach to be canned.

BTW, what happened to Kupp? Was he injured in practice or was it a disciplinary thing? Anybody know? Just curious, obviously Amrhein did a nice job and all's well that ends well.

Comment

Originally posted by WayneStatesman View Post
                I gotta admit I got a little choked up after the game ended seeing how happy and elated the team and coaching staff were. I have to say that in the end this years team may be better than the 2011 squad, at least in the regular season. The 2011 team had a great playoff run and I don't want to diminish that. However I think this years team had If I'm not mistaken, the best GLIAC record they've ever had, percentage wise. Also I think this years team had more wins against quality teams than the 2011 team did in the regular season. If they only had one more win they'd be playoff bound.

At any rate I congratulate the team and coaching staff for turning what looked like a disaster into one of the more memorable seasons I've experienced. Isn't it ironic that at the start of the season, we were speculating if Winters would survive and now it's the GV faithful calling for their head coach to be canned.

BTW, what happened to Kupp? Was he injured in practice or was it a disciplinary thing? Anybody know? Just curious, obviously Amrhein did a nice job and all's well that ends well.
                Here is the difference...at 8-3 WSU is thrilled while at GVSU 8-3 is a complete failure.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsThortonMelon View Post

Here is the difference...at 8-3 WSU is thrilled while at GVSU 8-3 is a complete failure.
                  Which is fine; different schools have different expectations. It's when programs get stuck in their own versions of neutral or start backsliding is when coaching should be called into question. Looking at season results, I honestly don't blame GV fans for wanting MM gone because I understand their argument that the team looks stuck in neutral and is not meeting expectations. In a similar way, we were calling for heads because this team has been bad to woefully average, a backslide from competing for playoff spots. Obviously an 8-3 season is a positive step. Now, if WSU still can't get back to the playoff or win a GLIAC title in the next couple seasons, fans will probably be calling for Winters' head again.

Comment

Not only were they losses, they were BRUTAL losses (not sure how well a quality loss factors in).

I'm stoked we got something out of the season. I wouldn't feel excellent about a 4 loss season, or even a 3 loss if one was to GV. That's a huge burden off the program and something the underclassmen can hopefully build upon.

I would guess Kupp was injured at some point. He missed most of last season and the Ashland game this year. If he were available, I would assume they'd want the senior QB in for the biggest games. While I never want anyone injured, the silver lining is we got our future QB valuable experience in two huge games after the horrible record last year.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsThortonMelon View Post

Great point. It's the difference between a team that's a perennial powerhouse, and a team that has flashes of greatness.

Comment

Originally posted by tartar8 View Post

Great point. It's the difference between a team that's a perennial powerhouse, and a team that has flashes of greatness.

Comment

All's well that ends well. Proud of the team and what this win means for the program. Love this 2019 team! I don't like comparing WSU teams because it is inconsequential. The GLIAC was vastly different in 2011 featuring 14 teams opposed to 9 and included programs that are now perennial playoff teams playing in lesser conferences. This year's GLIAC featured 5 teams at .500 or worse, over half the conference. As for quality wins, 2019's best wins were against an 8-3 GV and 7-4 Ashland. 2011 had wins over 8-3 Hillsdale, 8-3 Urbana, 7-4 Indianapolis, 7-4 Ohio Dominican, & 7-4 Michigan Tech. The WSU team that got the ultimate raw deal was 2010.

Nonetheless, really think this 2019 team had great leadership from seniors & coaches and would love nothing more for it to carry into the seasons to come. Again the expectation has been set, WSU has shown it can compete on a national level and would like to see the program consistently be a top 3 in the conference and top 25 team in the country.
                          Last edited by NewEraWarrior; 11-18-2019, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Fair point. I didn't have the team records available, I was going by a gut feel because the 2019 team finished strong and I remember that the 2011 team lost their final game at home to a 5-5 Findlay team and everyone thought they would miss the playoffs again. But the rest as they say is history. I love the 2011 team and I love the 2019 team so we'll leave it at that.

The 2010 team was one of the best if not the best Wayne State team I ever saw and yes indeed they got royally screwed out of a playoff spot.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X