Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ashland To the GMAC Must Happen

I'm sure I'm not the only AU fan disappointed with the way this season played out. 7-4 is simply not good enough, especially when one of the wins was the Miracle at Lubbers. We easily could have been 6-5. This may have been one of the worst offenses AU fans have witnessed in recent memory under Lee Owens. The lack of big plays, issues with the OLine, averaging 25 points a game...that's just not good enough. Giving up 25 points a game? That's not the defense anyone expected before the year started. Unless there's an upgrade in talent, it's hard to see AU competing with FSU and GVSU in the near future.

That's why I think the talked about move a year ago to the GMAC should not only be reconsidered next year but it flat out needs to happen. When you see Tiffin go 9-1 and get into playoffs with the following resume, how can you not see the advantages of playing a weaker schedule that can get you into the postseason:
    Beat Northwood by 3
    Lose to Saggy by 15
    Best conference wins: ODU and Findlay

That's what it takes to get a playoff berth in the GMAC. Not beating your head against a wall against FSU and GVSU every year! Even in a year where AU splits with the two best teams in the league they get tripped up by Wayne St. Saggy seems to be improving. Davenport is getting better. Not to mention how tough Region 3 is overall. Here's the simple question: What's more important, the prestige of playing in the GLIAC, or going to the GMAC knowing you've greatly improved your chances of being in the mix for a playoff berth? As much as I like us playing the best, I want my school to have a shot at the postseason and it looks like those opportunities are getting slimmer and slimmer in the GLIAC.

Eagler, couldn't agree more with your take on Tiffin. Barely beat Northwood and lose to SVSU, yet still get a playoff berth?

As for Ashland moving to the GMAC, I'd hate to see you guys go, even for the sake of an easier road to the playoffs. But I do understand where you're coming from. GLIAC teams beat each other up during the regular season, and to see only one playoff berth from the conference is hard to stomach.

Comment

So rather than get better and make the playoffs in a conference that prepares you for championship-caliber games, you'd rather tuck your tail between your legs and run to a garbage conference like Hillsdale, ODU, Findlay, and Tiffin have?
      2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post
        So rather than get better and make the playoffs in a conference that prepares you for championship-caliber games, you'd rather tuck your tail between your legs and run to a garbage conference like Hillsdale, ODU, Findlay, and Tiffin have?
        Valid point, although I don't think Ashland taking off for an easier division is quite as simplistic as that. How much does the payoff committee really take into account strength of schedule? WSU had arguably the toughest schedule in DII. What is your opinion on only one team making it from the GLIAC, while teams like Tiffin and Lindenwood make it? Lindenwood at 8-3 lost to Davenport. Davenport.

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post
          Preparation for championship-caliber games means nothing if you never make it to championship-caliber games because you're in a tough conference and a tough region. The committee does not care about "quality losses", it cares about wins.

Comment

As an institution, Ashland is more similar to schools in the GMAC. Athletically, they're in the upper echelon of the GLIAC most years (9-0 GLIAC in 2017). There are benefits and drawbacks in either conference. Certainly, the GMAC gets stronger if Ashland is in it. Plus the GMAC has teams that had good records in the GLIAC. I think that a lot of our perceptions of other programs get skewed by comparing every team to GV historically and Ferris in the recent past. As bad as it would be to lose a quality opponent in the GLIAC, I understand the reasoning for Ashland to the GMAC.

Comment

First...I totally agree things need to change, but I'm not sure changing conferences is the most important.

The number 1 reason this season was a disaster was Owens sticking with Austin Brenner. I can't remember the last time AU has had a Qb throw more interceptions then touchdowns (14-12), and a completion percentage of 54%. The kid shouldn't be playing on the JV team let alone starting for this team. I said this earlier in the year that as long as Austin Brenner is the QB at AU they will never win anything. The better news is we didn't recruit a sing QB this year, so there is no back up, or anyone pushing Brenner.

As far as this year defense, we lost our whole secondary about 4 weeks in, haven't seen a unit get beat up as much as they did this year. I wouldn't think that would be something that will carry over.

Overall Owens needs to be better. He is coasting right now, and it cost this program.

Comment

Interesting.... I almost find some joy in this after Ashland coach making several back handed comments about how small HU was and then proceeding to get their teeth kicked in by that small private school from Arkansas. Anyways, as you were.

Comment

This is hilarious to knock tiffin and the GMAC considering Ashland was mandhandled by Findlay which in turn ODU beat Findlay and tiffin beat both ODU and Findlay.... the GMAC is not as bad as one would think there is a big drop off between 1-4 and 5-8 he's. Hell Findlay almost knocked off your big bad #2 team on the road had they not gone for two..Hillsdale will get solid again. I'm sorry but you are acting like the gliac is a straight gauntlet every week with NMU and tech and northwood. The gliac is not what it used to be getting one team in.... trust me the GMAC would welcome Ashland in with open arms plenty of teams that can beat/compete with the.

Comment

Even more so the teams represented by the GMAC the last two years have won their playoff games...
                    and didn't odu just beat Ashland last year?
                    keep talking about how trash these teams are tho...

Comment

Originally posted by EastStroud13 View Post

Preparation for championship-caliber games means nothing if you never make it to championship-caliber games because you're in a tough conference and a tough region. The committee does not care about "quality losses", it cares about wins.
                      It is a cop-out. Why not just become an independent and schedule every crappy team you can possibly find, go undefeated every year, and take your chances in the playoffs against actual competition?

I understand why they do it. And it is good business for the athletic departments. Because there's not enough national knowledge about D-II to know otherwise. There's a reason why Boise State and Western Michigan and UCF weren't playing for the national championship when they were undefeated. Because everyone knows they can't compete with the top teams from the power conferences. That same delineation exists in D-II, but not enough people know, so everyone is on the same level playing field and have to prove it in the playoffs, which is fine. Like I said, if schools want the cakewalk to the playoffs, then by all means, go ahead. But when you get demolished in the playoffs by a team with a worse record from a better conference, the fans of D-II football should understand why. It is just funny to me that teams who were previously in "good" football conferences leave those conferences, go to lesser conferences, and then start bragging about how good they are all over every type of media, while ignoring that they couldn't get it done in their previous conference so they ran away. "Other schools in this new conference better align with our university makeup" lol. No they don't. You just want to be in a conference where you're better at football.
                      2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Originally posted by HeftyLefty View Post
                        Even more so the teams represented by the GMAC the last two years have won their playoff games...
                        and didn't odu just beat Ashland last year?
                        keep talking about how trash these teams are tho...
                        Fair point, but which team in the GMAC would be a likely PO participant this season if they were in the GLIAC? Keep in mind, it's not just the w/l of a season, but how a team might get banged up during a season.

Comment

When odu was In the GLIAC they won their division. And played well into December 2015... Findlay and hillsdale have also faired well In the gliac. Tiffin is coming on strong as of late. This thread is just hilarious like as soon as Ashland moves to the GMAC they will go to the playoffs. You guys act like they took bottom feeder teams from the GLIAC and created the GMAC. False. Ashland has to actually win vs GMAC opponents and they haven't done it the last two yrs running...these teams left for budget and traveling purposes... it was something like 15 hrs for ODU to go up to the UP. leaving on a wed missing class. Can't do thst. honestly the GMAC would love
                          to have Ashland in the conference but would not be a cake walk

Comment

Being a GLIAC representative, I think I have to agree w/ our GMAC brethren right now. Although I still believe the GLIAC is one of the strongest DII conferences, it is also pretty top heavy w/ only maybe 2 teams a year that are strong national contenders. I looked this morning and 5 out of 9 teams in the GLIAC finished .500 or worse, and that's w/ 2-3 non-conference games per team. The GLIAC has had GVSU (2013, 2015,) Ferris (2016, 2018*), & Wayne (2011*) make it to the National semi's or better* this decade, w/ no National Championships. Ohio Dominican & Hillsdale had playoff years while still w/ the GLIAC as well. Not as drastic a difference as some GLIAC supporters are making it out to be.

Comment

Originally posted by EastStroud13 View Post

I think if you look at the list of champions, almost all of them come from a tough conference.

2018 - Gulf South
                              2017 - Lone Star
                              2016 - MIAA
                              2015 - MIAA
                              2014 - RMAC
                              2013 - MIAA
                              2012 - Gulf South
                              2011 - MIAA
                              2010 - NSIC
                              2009 - MIAA
                              2008 - NSIC
                              2007 - Gulf South