Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Fun Facilities/Experience Discussion

Some posts in another thread got me inspired a bit. Let's sound off and brag about our own school's facilities or maybe you have a favorite away venue. What's your least favorite place to go, either functionally or because of the opposing team?

Having gone to NMU, Davenport, and GVSU this year, I've now managed to see a football game at every team currently in the GLIAC except Ashland (been to ODU, Hillsdale, Findlay, and Canton pre and post-renovation too). My heart says Wayne is the best all around stadium, but that's also with some major bias. I will point to the free tailgate parking, general admission seating, a stadium that isn't too big but doesn't feel too small, and a small but dedicated and fun student section. My major knock is that the area under the stands needs work; also I hate having the track around the field. Also our visitor stands aren't great.

NMU by far has the coolest building to play in in the conference. If the team got back to it's winning ways, it would be enormously loud inside I think. Props to your mascot and band for being super cool too, even when my friends and I cheer super loud for Wayne. It's a bold choice to play on the visitor side. If I were to rank based on surrounding areas, WSU is #1 for me, Tech is #2, and NMU is #3. While it's a drive, Houghton is a fun town and gets really pretty in the Fall. Tech's band is always a riot to watch as well. Lots to do in Marquette, but it just didn't resonate as much with me. Of the 3 west Michigan schools, I'd rank them GV, Ferris, then Davenport. Grand Valley's band has a great sound, but is a more pricey game than any other. Davenport...I don't know. I got there late on a really crappy day, but there was 0 energy and I'm not sure I saw any students. Also, the rules suggest being incredibly anti-tailgate. Ferris, SVSU, and Northwood...are places to watch football. Not bad places by any means, but to me as a visitor aren't particularly memorable.

Side note: I've been to Wayne, GV, Northwood, and SVSU (and Findlay and Hillsdale) for basketball. Besides Wayne because it can get loud and has some neat chants from fans, the coolest gym I've been to is SVSU. Just a feeling, but I think it's neat how you can watch the playing court from up top from where you walk in.

Not a knock on you, but I gotta disagree about Wayne. I played high school football at Wayne (it was our home stadium) and the majority of the team thought the facilities were kinda crappy. The field itself was nice but the area under the stands was real bad, and the seating setup was nothing to write home about. Fine stadium, good for a game, good for d2, but not the best in the GLIAC to me.

Of the stadiums I've been to, I'd rank them:
    1. GVSU (obviously some bias, but has the best atmosphere and a very big school feel/)
    2. SVSU - (nice stadium, reminded me of a smaller Lubbers. Plus I'm a sucker for hillside seating)
    3. NMU - (reminded me of Wayne St. but with a better atmosphere. Could use some work but overall a very cool very unique atmosphere)
    4. Wayne St - (Similar to NMU. Good for a game, pretty basic, would be a lot better if they sunk some money into upgrading the seating and under the bleachers)
    5. Northwood - (Small stadium, good atmosphere)
    6. Davenport - (I honestly hardly remember their stadium. Seemed like a glorified high school stadium)
    7. MTU - (See above, but it was cold as ****. Houghton is a cool town though.)

Comment

I'm biased and I'd still confidently say Wayne is not near the top in terms of stadium, more in the middle. I am a fan of the fencing and outer parts of the stadium & although I don't like the track around it either, I get why it's there w/ WSU's track team now. The field itself has been updated relatively recently and is in good shape. I am a sucker for liking the "Home Stands" as they are a large (but steep) presence. I like the paint job on them but renovating the press box & adding some chair-back seats in the stands will give it a cleaner/updated look.The away stands are simply poor. They are dwarfed in relation to the home stands and are just low level high school stands. As for the football facility/lockerrooms, I had the pleasure of getting to see them recently and they are solid. I'd say very good for a D2 program and maybe only trail maybe GVSU & Ashland. Oh and the new weight/training facility built, that is D1 level stuff. So all in all, I'd give WSU an overall above average score w/ needing updates to their seating and stadium aesthetics.

My rankings are:
      1. GVSU
      2. Ashland
      3. SVSU
      4. Ferris
      5. Wayne
      6. Northern Michigan
      7. Davenport
      8. Michigan Tech
      9. Northwood
      Last edited by NewEraWarrior; 11-21-2019, 11:56 AM.

Comment

I've only been to GVSU and Ferris for football. GVSU's stadium is light years ahead of Ferris' stadium! Ferris has awful away stands (unless they put some new ones in within the last few years; I remember going to a GV/Ferris game when I was a student and I thought the away stands at Ferris were going to fall apart)

For basketball, I've been to GVSU, Ferris, Davenport, and Ashland. IMHO, Davenport has the best basketball facility, followed by Ashland

Comment

Comment

I remember seeing that picture a long,long time ago. I think it appeared in a Wayne State game program many, many years ago. It looked like a cool stadium and I always hoped we would see it or something like it some day. But when you only average about 3K or so attendance per game it doesn't make much sense.

Comment

Comment

Comment

The original plan for the stadium was much bigger as mtsax alluded to. The "visitor" side stands were the same size as the "home" side currently is and if I recall correctly one end zone had a smaller set of stands also. The capacity would have been 12-14,000. That would have been more like an actual stadium and probably would be a cool place to play for a high schooler.

Obviously given the actual attendance at a Wayne State game the original stadium plan would have been way too big. In fact the current stadium is too big for the average crowd size.

It's too bad you think Wayne State's current "stadium" is a POS but that was your experience and you have every right to your opinion. I hope others have had and will have a more positive experience because that stadium ain't gonna change any time soon.

Comment

Comment

It's game day, boys .The only stadium that matters today is the one in Big Rapids

Comment

Comment

Never a good look to see a lot of empty seats. t's got to be a little disheartening for the players on the home team also.

Comment

At least the dark green paint helps mask it a bit, kinda like the black seats at LCA (which I hate btw).

Comment

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X