Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Grand Valley Schedule 2019

Originally posted by Irishlaker View Post
    Not wanting to play 11 games is definitely NOT the issue. The week that we have open needs to have someone else with an open week that WANTS/IS WILLING to play us. Just because we ask someone to play us doesn't mean they will...
    AND just because we want to play them does not mean they are not going to ask for a lot of money if they come to us OR that we have to spend a lot of money to travel to play at their place. Neither is a cheap deal and lets be honest budgets are tight and getting tighter..this is not D1 where you own a money printing press in the back office.

Comment

Originally posted by champgymusa View Post
      AND just because we want to play them does not mean they are not going to ask for a lot of money if they come to us OR that we have to spend a lot of money to travel to play at their place. Neither is a cheap deal and lets be honest budgets are tight and getting tighter..this is not D1 where you own a money printing press in the back office.
      Both you and Irish are indeed right, Champ. In my experience with GV, they have never not tried to fill every open date. Getting folks to agree to doing so is its own challenge, and there is very likely a separate issue with how much it takes $-wise to get someone to make the trip in to Allendale.

My only counterpoint here would be related to the "D1 Money Printing Press". I've talked about this out here in other threads and I won't derail this one...but there are very few schools actually making money. Most of D1 definitely is NOT.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Nicolette View Post
        Both you and Irish are indeed right, Champ. In my experience with GV, they have never not tried to fill every open date. Getting folks to agree to doing so is its own challenge, and there is very likely a separate issue with how much it takes $-wise to get someone to make the trip in to Allendale.

My only counterpoint here would be related to the "D1 Money Printing Press". I've talked about this out here in other threads and I won't derail this one...but there are very few schools actually making money. Most of D1 definitely is NOT.
        At least for 2019, it seems like if they were to find an open spot, it would have to be an away game. GV's 2019 schedule is already 6 home games, 4 away games.
        2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Me, I'm just happy that the schedule lines up somewhat with my wedding/honeymoon plans. I had thought that the schedule was going to flip and NMU would be at GVSU on the 14th of September and roadie up to MTU the next weekend. But I'll take Delta State at GVSU on the 14th and currently the plan is to go up to the UP and Pictured Rocks and probably stop by Frankenmuth to end the week. Think I can talk someone into staying an extra day somewhere along the way to make Midland as well. :smile-big:

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Nicolette View Post

Yea probably too wide of brush, people seem to think that GVSU has all kinds of money to just do whatever they want and nothing could be further from the truth. The football program works very hard to get the best bang for the buck and they also do a lot of fundraising as do all the sports on the campus. Some more than others of course but over all the idea that just GVSU is bigger means more money...nope..thank goodness for donors and good leadership in house.

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
              Me, I'm just happy that the schedule lines up somewhat with my wedding/honeymoon plans. I had thought that the schedule was going to flip and NMU would be at GVSU on the 14th of September and roadie up to MTU the next weekend. But I'll take Delta State at GVSU on the 14th and currently the plan is to go up to the UP and Pictured Rocks and probably stop by Frankenmuth to end the week. Think I can talk someone into staying an extra day somewhere along the way to make Midland as well. :smile-big:
              Really a wedding in football season? WTF is wrong with you guys? We need to get your into counseling stat...of course like my son ,you too have out kicked your coverage so you better just cave and go with it.

Comment

Really a wedding in football season? WTF is wrong with you guys? We need to get your into counseling stat...of course like my son ,you too have out kicked your coverage so you better just cave and go with it.
                Hey now, we were smart about it. We're doing it Friday so that we can go to the game on Saturday. :wink:
                I just might have had to put my foot down about it being on a fall Saturday. Not that it would have done me much good, but I would have put the foot down about it. But we're getting a better rate on renting the hall on Friday night instead.

Comment

Hey now, we were smart about it. We're doing it Friday so that we can go to the game on Saturday. :wink:
                  I just might have had to put my foot down about it being on a fall Saturday. Not that it would have done me much good, but I would have put the foot down about it. But we're getting a better rate on renting the hall on Friday night instead.
                  OK...well thats solid planning then...LOL...maybe we can have a part 2 wedding reception at the tailgate too!! Best wishes really, you guys are great for each other and marry that girl before she comes to her senses!!

Comment

OK...well thats solid planning then...LOL...maybe we can have a part 2 wedding reception at the tailgate too!! Best wishes really, you guys are great for each other and marry that girl before she comes to her senses!!
                    I think we could work something out for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwing View Post
                      They do count. But it's likely that ones SOS takes a hit. Kind of like DSU did to GV last season. Maybe DSU might be as bad, record wise, this year, so GV could have 2 duds on its schedule. And nullification factor/wiggle room? What does that have to do with scheduling an 11th game? The penalty to FSU impacted it's W/L and SOS numbers. And the 4 game penalty essentially equated to a loss. I'm not expecting GV to ever be subject to such a penalty... and would never use that potential as a reason to schedule an 11th game.

For me, it's a tough call. I'd love another contest, but there are pluses to having an open date just before ones toughest match-up of the season. I would be all in if GV could leave that slot open and somehow get a waiver to have the 11th game the week before Edinboro. But the odds for that may not even exist.
                      I don't know that DSU really hurt GVSU that bad last season. One, it was an out of region game. Two, it was against a team from the GSC which played a tough GSC schedule that included an undefeated team in VSU, West Georgia who had 1 regular season loss, West Alabama who was a 7 or 8 win team and a non-conference with Tarleton State who was undefeated in the regular season. While the record of the school was not good, it was mitigated by the strong schedule that DSU played which is also included in the NCAA's SOS calculation IIRC.

Playing Adams State would not be a bad opponent. Playing William Jewel would be a game that would really hurt the SOS and opponents portion of the SOS, given the GLVC has not exactly been stellar in non-conference games recent years.

Comment

Originally posted by chapmaja View Post
                        I don't know that DSU really hurt GVSU that bad last season. One, it was an out of region game. Two, it was against a team from the GSC which played a tough GSC schedule that included an undefeated team in VSU, West Georgia who had 1 regular season loss, West Alabama who was a 7 or 8 win team and a non-conference with Tarleton State who was undefeated in the regular season. While the record of the school was not good, it was mitigated by the strong schedule that DSU played which is also included in the NCAA's SOS calculation IIRC.

Playing Adams State would not be a bad opponent. Playing William Jewel would be a game that would really hurt the SOS and opponents portion of the SOS, given the GLVC has not exactly been stellar in non-conference games recent years.
                        Good points all around. I do wonder if Becker et al still fill that date somehow. And let's just run the table next year and it won't matter much who GV plays on that open date...though I guess the other conf leaders could also all run the table.:at-wits-end:

Comment

Originally posted by Redwing View Post
                          Good points all around. I do wonder if Becker et al still fill that date somehow. And let's just run the table next year and it won't matter much who GV plays on that open date...though I guess the other conf leaders could also all run the table.:at-wits-end:
                          Winning all the games makes the math a lot easier come playoff time.

Comment

That may work for this year, but the anniversary can come up on gamedays in the future!

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
                              That may work for this year, but the anniversary can come up on gamedays in the future!

That's not an issue...Cathy and I have celebrated many at a Laker game...August 31 seemed like a good idea 46 years ago....( yes we were married in the 2nd grade, it was common back then)

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
                                We celebrate at the game. Problem solved!! :tongue:

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X