Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MrsThortonMelon View Post
    The State of California just announced all online classes for fall...that means per NCAA that none of them will play football this fall...UCLA, Etc..done for 2020...wow
    It's my understanding that the announcement was for Cal State schools, not U of C schools.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brandon View Post

It's my understanding that the announcement was for Cal State schools, not U of C schools.
      Thats a good catch I did not see that part...thank you! I think it is WAY to early to call off things but I also know you have to cancel charters, etc well in advance as well as hotels, meals, the whole traveling circus that is a college football team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brandon View Post

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2020...ugh-fall-term/

Comment

• Originally posted by MrsThortonMelon View Post
          The State of California just announced all online classes for fall...that means per NCAA that none of them will play football this fall...UCLA, Etc..done for 2020...wow
          Just to clarify, this is the California State University system (ie. Fresno State, San Diego State, San Jose State), which is independent from the UCal system (UCLA, etc.). Even so, the Cal State system schools won't be fielding teams this fall; I'd suspect it's a matter of time before the UCal system is next.
          Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

• Originally posted by Thelakerman View Post

Since the corona virus organism is approximately 1000 times smaller than the pores of a surgical mask, the only real purpose it serves is to keep you from touching your nose or mouth with your potentially infected hand. It has little chance of stopping the airborne virus from entering or exiting the mask.
            https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...k/art-20485449

The virus doesn't weave its way in between barriers. It has no motor system to avoid barriers. Therefore, wearing a mask of any type is better than not wearing one at all. Any kind of mask provides some protection, and it is why cloth masks are suggested to be made with three layers of tightly-woven cotton, to provide barriers for the virus, both from entering and exiting. What you essentially seem to be arguing here is that since you'll probably still die in a head-on car crash, there's no point in wearing a seat belt.
            2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

• Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...k/art-20485449

The virus doesn't weave its way in between barriers. It has no motor system to avoid barriers. Therefore, wearing a mask of any type is better than not wearing one at all. Any kind of mask provides some protection, and it is why cloth masks are suggested to be made with three layers of tightly-woven cotton, to provide barriers for the virus, both from entering and exiting. What you essentially seem to be arguing here is that since you'll probably still die in a head-on car crash, there's no point in wearing a seat belt.
              More like wearing a seat belt made of tissue. I kind of get the mask thing, but for the most part, it's most useful for protecting your exhale from getting to others. Unless you have a respirator or fitted n95, a mask won't knock much down when you inhale. I'm looking into it, since IF there is a season, I might be wearing one to protect myself. Selfishly, sure I don't want to infect others, but with all the targets I have on my back, I'm looking for some personal protection. Or maybe I'll just go stand on the west side or top row on east side of stadium? LOL Suffice to say, wearing a basic cloth mask does little to protect the wearer. Then again, who knows what the odds for severe infections might be a couple of months. Here's hoping for the best for all of us.

Comment

• Originally posted by Redwing View Post

More like wearing a seat belt made of tissue. I kind of get the mask thing, but for the most part, it's most useful for protecting your exhale from getting to others. Unless you have a respirator or fitted n95, a mask won't knock much down when you inhale. I'm looking into it, since IF there is a season, I might be wearing one to protect myself. Selfishly, sure I don't want to infect others, but with all the targets I have on my back, I'm looking for some personal protection. Or maybe I'll just go stand on the west side or top row on east side of stadium? LOL Suffice to say, wearing a basic cloth mask does little to protect the wearer. Then again, who knows what the odds for severe infections might be a couple of months. Here's hoping for the best for all of us.
                That's why the point is to get everyone to wear a mask, because it is to protect others. If everyone wore even a basic cloth mask, the amount of infections would drop by 80% (One huge challenge is that mask wearing only really pays off when most people do it. A Food and Drug Administration analysis of the flu estimates https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...op-coronavirus

Comment

That's why the point is to get everyone to wear a mask, because it is to protect others. If everyone wore even a basic cloth mask, the amount of infections would drop by 80% (One huge challenge is that mask wearing only really pays off when most people do it. A Food and Drug Administration analysis of the flu estimates https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...op-coronavirus
                  Feel free to play the percentage game, but then don't get on people using data that comes back at you with small percentages. Like the death rate of 30 year olds is a very low percentage for example. Now, if 2 people without masks are seated behind you, that "essentially eliminated" goes out the window. I'm taking both sides, on this since I'm honestly conflicted about this virus. I can't deny the deaths, but I truly wish the medical fields would reveal the demographic details about them. Like a death by age with which morbidity they had stat. And even then, how severe was the high BP, Obesity, etc were. Those details might reduce the fear for major chunks of the population.

That being noted, I do think that crowds can assemble with limited risks..... especially outdoors. IMO, it's more about keeping the players risks tolerable. That's where I'm struggling the most. I can make case that the risk to players (ignoring staff though.)from Covid is lower than the risk seniors face due to the flu. Flu goes after seniors hard. Still, how much risk is tolerable? Someone has to make that call. And sure, one life is too many, but we know players have died due to a number of ailments while playing/practicing (heart issues for example) but the games are still played.

I've gone on long enough... but I just had to show another side. And frankly, I just hope those in control make the best choice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Redwing View Post

Feel free to play the percentage game, but then don't get on people using data that comes back at you with small percentages. Like the death rate of 30 year olds is a very low percentage for example. Now, if 2 people without masks are seated behind you, that "essentially eliminated" goes out the window. I'm taking both sides, on this since I'm honestly conflicted about this virus. I can't deny the deaths, but I truly wish the medical fields would reveal the demographic details about them. Like a death by age with which morbidity they had stat. And even then, how severe was the high BP, Obesity, etc were. Those details might reduce the fear for major chunks of the population.

That being noted, I do think that crowds can assemble with limited risks..... especially outdoors. IMO, it's more about keeping the players risks tolerable. That's where I'm struggling the most. I can make case that the risk to players (ignoring staff though.)from Covid is lower than the risk seniors face due to the flu. Flu goes after seniors hard. Still, how much risk is tolerable? Someone has to make that call. And sure, one life is too many, but we know players have died due to a number of ailments while playing/practicing (heart issues for example) but the games are still played.

I've gone on long enough... but I just had to show another side. And frankly, I just hope those in control make the best choice.
                    There's now overwhelming evidence that people who contract the virus and don't show any symptoms whatsoever end up with permanent damage done to their organs. The idea that we are even considering, at all, the possibility of playing sports at the expense of potentially killing people now or giving people a condition that will permanently damage their organs for the future is asinine and abhorrent. We have zero moral compass as a country and world. There's something present that is literally killing people, we don't know much about it, we have zero effective treatment for it, and we're just going "well, we're sick of it, so we're going to go ahead and ignore it and let nature sort it out if anyone gets it" all because some people are slightly inconvenienced that they can't watch performers do a thing they like watching...lol.
                    Last edited by KleShreen; 05-17-2020, 08:19 AM.

Comment

There's now overwhelming evidence that people who contract the virus and don't show any symptoms whatsoever end up with permanent damage done to their organs. The idea that we are even considering, at all, the possibility of playing sports at the expense of potentially killing people now or giving people a condition that will permanently damage their organs for the future is asinine and abhorrent. We have zero moral compass as a country and world. There's something present that is literally killing people, we don't know much about it, we have zero effective treatment for it, and we're just going "well, we're sick of it, so we're going to go ahead and ignore it and let nature sort it out if anyone gets it" all because some people are slightly inconvenienced that they can't watch performers do a thing they like watching...lol.
                      Please enlighten me KleShreen with this overwhelming evidence...no really, please provide the verified source and info. You contradict yourself in your own statements; on one hand you keep saying we don't know much about this virus but on the other you keep mentioning "overwhelming" evidence to support your narrative. Again we have differing opinions and that is okay. However please stop berating people claiming they have "no moral compass" just because you don't agree. I don't agree with you and I *do* have a moral compass. I'll use my common sense and personal responsibility to protect others around me but I refuse to sit at home for months on end afraid of what might happen. Once more, even though this is a college football forum, this conversation has expanded. You keep assuming those w/ opposing views demand football come back immediately. I think almost all reasonable people on here realize not having a football season for a year is not the end of the world if it's the right thing to do. However I'd rather spend my remaining time on this earth enjoying all the simple pleasures life has to offer. I should be able to spend time w/ family, enjoy the outdoors, visit favorite places/groups of people, while being responsible and cognizant of other's. Waiting in fear hoping everything gets better is not how I'd like to live.

Comment

• Originally posted by NewEraWarrior View Post

Please enlighten me KleShreen with this overwhelming evidence...no really, please provide the verified source and info. You contradict yourself in your own statements; on one hand you keep saying we don't know much about this virus but on the other you keep mentioning "overwhelming" evidence to support your narrative. Again we have differing opinions and that is okay. However please stop berating people claiming they have "no moral compass" just because you don't agree. I don't agree with you and I *do* have a moral compass. I'll use my common sense and personal responsibility to protect others around me but I refuse to sit at home for months on end afraid of what might happen. Once more, even though this is a college football forum, this conversation has expanded. You keep assuming those w/ opposing views demand football come back immediately. I think almost all reasonable people on here realize not having a football season for a year is not the end of the world if it's the right thing to do. However I'd rather spend my remaining time on this earth enjoying all the simple pleasures life has to offer. I should be able to spend time w/ family, enjoy the outdoors, visit favorite places/groups of people, while being responsible and cognizant of other's. Waiting in fear hoping everything gets better is not how I'd like to live.
                        https://www.sciencenews.org/article/...ng-lung-damage

https://www.latimes.com/science/stor...he-heart-liver

https://www.advisory.com/daily-brief...7/organ-damage

https://www.vox.com/2020/5/8/2125189...fects-symptoms

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/corona...ry?id=69811566

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/h...to-your-lungs/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...oung-patients/

https://www.today.com/health/coronav...idneys-t178770

https://khn.org/news/mysterious-hear...d-19-patients/

https://www.sciencealert.com/even-th...ath-afterwards

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-52506669

Comment

• Only had to click on the first three links. The word MAY literally appears in the first three headlines....far cry from your overly dramatic "OVERWHELMING EVIDENCE" claim. I get it, you want to exaggerate to prove your point more but come on now. I also recommend reading your sources before you quote them. Take your 4th article from Vox for example. Here is a direct quote from it: ...So again please tell me how that is overwhelming evidence?

Some people like spreading fear, it's like a misguided sense of belonging. The word "fear" by the way also appears throughout the articles you sent, literally the word fear. You may see it as spreading information but the truth is people don't know the truth yet! I'm not going to pretend like I have the answers but I certainly won't go around telling people half-truths to scare them from doing what they want to do. Do you tell your loved ones everyday before they go out for a drive they might get into a serious car accident? Of course not but it's always a possibility. Why freak people for the sake of it?
                          Last edited by NewEraWarrior; 05-18-2020, 12:24 PM.

Comment

• This is really simple....if you feel like you are not safe at game stay home and watch GVSU online...the only virus you will get there is from your Windows Vista software. Any word yet if WSU will have in person classes on campus or are they going to be a bye on everyones schedule? No students on campus no sports is the general thinking.

Comment

• My first thought was to verify Covid-19 doesn't make people sterile. Just a generation away from oblivion as a country if that's the case

Comment

• Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X