X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ctrabs74
    replied
    Originally posted by BulldogFanatic View Post

Problem with that is Michigan Tech and Northern Michigan. The schools in Ohio don't want to drive a team all the way up there. Can't blame them.
    Yeah, the two UP schools are going to be a problem regardless of whether there's a partnership with either the GMAC or GLVC.

Leave a comment:

• crixus
    replied
    Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

I wouldn't be shocked if the next domino to fall is Notre Dame (Ohio) from the MEC to the GMAC, if for no other reason than it balanced both football leagues out at 10 teams each. If I'm NDC, would I want to stay in the MEC where my nearest rival is two and a half hours to the south (Wheeling or West Liberty) or would I want to have eight potential conference rivals (Ashland, Cedarville, Findlay, Lake Erie, Malone, Ohio Dominican, Tiffin, Ursuline and Walsh) - including six fellow football schools - within that same two and a half hour travel footprint? Granted, for football, Alderson Broaddus, Hillsdale and Kentucky Wesleyan would be much longer trips, but I'd argue that NDC would see significant travel expense reductions - especially when four GMAC schools are less than a two hour bus trip away, hence no need for as many hotels - at least in theory.

Also, is the SAC at 10 or 11 (the SAC is listed twice)?

Also, by 2021, Allen University, located in Columbia, S.C., will be transitioning from NAIA to D2, giving the SIAC 12 schools. I believe Allen would be in their second season of transition to the NCAA by 2021.
    Also, Erskine College of South Carolina is bringing back football this year after a 69 year hiatus. They'll play as a D2 Independent this season.

Last edited by crixus; 05-25-2020, 02:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• CALUPA69
    replied
    Originally posted by BulldogFanatic View Post

Problem with that is Michigan Tech and Northern Michigan. The schools in Ohio don't want to drive a team all the way up there. Can't blame them.
    I wouldn't recommend it but the GLIAC may need to look at the NE10 for their FB schedule. Most of these New England schools are being forced to schedule one other conference team twice in a season in order to reach 10 games. If NEW HAVEN moves to D1 it will become almost a necessity in order to qualify for post season play. ST ANSELM managed to get three OOC games for 2020 but that would be basically impossible for the entire league to do. Like the NE10, the GLIAC is in a border region which severely limits opportunities to lure teams to join or even visit their schools. Especially tough since Wisconsin has zero D2 FB programs. A structured OOC FB agreement among the GLIAC, GLVC and GMAC seems most likely to resolve this problem.

Leave a comment:

• BulldogFanatic
    replied
    Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

Techicnally, GLIAC schools would only need two OOC games for a minimum of nine games; realistically, they'd need at least three OOC games (10 total) for playoff consideration.

I wouldn't be shocked if the GLIAC at least explores the possibility of a partial scheduling alliance with the GLVC to fill two of those OOC dates (ie. GLIAC at GLVC; GLVC at GLIAC). By my count, both the GLVC and GLIAC will have eight football programs (presuming UIndy doesn't bolt for the GMAC), so that probably helps both teams fill out their schedules.

Leave a comment:

• ctrabs74
    replied
    Originally posted by Brandon View Post
    Eight teams is very common.

To the best of my knowledge, this is how it will look in 2021:

CIAA 12
    GAC 12
    GLIAC 8
    GLVC 8
    GMAC 9
    GNAC 4
    GSC 8
    IND 1
    LSC 8
    MIAA 12
    MEC 11
    NE10 9
    NSIC 14
    PSAC 16
    RMAC 10
    SAC 10
    SAC 11
    SIAC 11
    I wouldn't be shocked if the next domino to fall is Notre Dame (Ohio) from the MEC to the GMAC, if for no other reason than it balanced both football leagues out at 10 teams each. If I'm NDC, would I want to stay in the MEC where my nearest rival is two and a half hours to the south (Wheeling or West Liberty) or would I want to have eight potential conference rivals (Ashland, Cedarville, Findlay, Lake Erie, Malone, Ohio Dominican, Tiffin, Ursuline and Walsh) - including six fellow football schools - within that same two and a half hour travel footprint? Granted, for football, Alderson Broaddus, Hillsdale and Kentucky Wesleyan would be much longer trips, but I'd argue that NDC would see significant travel expense reductions - especially when four GMAC schools are less than a two hour bus trip away, hence no need for as many hotels - at least in theory.

Also, is the SAC at 10 or 11 (the SAC is listed twice)?

Also, by 2021, Allen University, located in Columbia, S.C., will be transitioning from NAIA to D2, giving the SIAC 12 schools. I believe Allen would be in their second season of transition to the NCAA by 2021.
    Last edited by ctrabs74; 05-21-2020, 08:41 PM. Reason: Updated to add Allen's provisional D2 status

Leave a comment:

• ctrabs74
    replied
    Originally posted by Mk63NuclearBomb View Post
    So this leaves the GLIAC with 8 football members right? So we'd need three OOC games to qualify for the postseason?
    Techicnally, GLIAC schools would only need two OOC games for a minimum of nine games; realistically, they'd need at least three OOC games (10 total) for playoff consideration.

I wouldn't be shocked if the GLIAC at least explores the possibility of a partial scheduling alliance with the GLVC to fill two of those OOC dates (ie. GLIAC at GLVC; GLVC at GLIAC). By my count, both the GLVC and GLIAC will have eight football programs (presuming UIndy doesn't bolt for the GMAC), so that probably helps both teams fill out their schedules.

Leave a comment:

• Brandon
    replied
    Eight teams is very common.

To the best of my knowledge, this is how it will look in 2021:

CIAA 12
    GAC 12
    GLIAC 8
    GLVC 8
    GMAC 9
    GNAC 4
    GSC 8
    IND 1
    LSC 8
    MIAA 12
    MEC 11
    NE10 9
    NSIC 14
    PSAC 16
    RMAC 10
    SAC 10
    SAC 11
    SIAC 11

Leave a comment:

• mtsax305
    replied
    I haven't heard anything to that effect, so hopefully not. The entire time I've followed the GLIAC, it's been a massive conference. Looking at other conferences, 10-12 football teams seems to be the norm, though 8 wouldn't be unheard of. I guess it was shocking to me. Scheduling that OOC game may have been a problem for Ferris this past season, they only played 10 games (or they wanted to play only 10, not sure if that's normal).

Leave a comment:

• D2Ohio
    replied
    I don't see the issue beyond an extra OOC game. Solid 8 teams, GMAC & GLVC relatively close for OCC. Northwood is the only private, in the middle of the geo footprint. None of the 8 should be going anywhere, right? Unless you expect NW or Tech to stop football due to current economic conditions?

Leave a comment:

• mtsax305
    replied
    I'm officially worried about GLIAC football now. 16 football-playing teams in 2012 down to just 8 in 2021. The number is shocking, but maybe this is how conferences are supposed to be? I myself am not sure. I highly doubt Lake Superior will bring back football and I'm not sure that Parkside and PNW would start a team now.
    Last edited by mtsax305; 05-21-2020, 09:45 AM.

Leave a comment:

• bigmrg74
    replied
    Originally posted by unc4life View Post
    First I will say I will miss the GLIAC, it was a great conference and I know Ashland was a proud member. That being said, this has been in the works for awhile, and the latest developments with the Corona Virus just pushed it through. With the strain on the economics for higher education cuts were needed, and the GMAC offers a huge advantage with sports travel budgets. Its probably the difference in having to cut a program or reducing programs money and not having too. I know there are still many people in Ashland that never wanted to see this happen, but it just made to much sense not to. Getting to play 5 or 6 teams within an hour drive compared to none is a huge cost saver. While I believe that Ashland wanted to stay in the GLIAC I think they felt the conference was moving farther away from them with every team they added. I'm sure Ashland will still be prominent on many GLIAC schedules, but at the end of the day if this helps strengthen AU's athletics program then it was the right move.
    That and I'm going to miss getting to call you bums the Nick Strance Brigade. ;-)

Leave a comment:

• bigmrg74
    replied
    Originally posted by champgymusa View Post
    I am sad to see Ashland leave for a number of reasons...one of course is that they always bring a great team to play to the game...I know finances are bad in Ashland right now so this does make sense in a way. Ashland will be the favorite in the GMAC I would think so its probably a good move for them. Hate to see ya leave guys but the GLIAC will survive to fight another day. I am sure some fans will be happy at Ashland...enjoy the new conference kids.
    Tough call to make right now. With the pandemic right now, it might be really hard to know what's going to happen the next couple of months. And I think that small private schools are going to feel it worse than the public schools. Even if there's classes in the fall this year, I could see a lot of kids electing to take a gap year or just not go to an on campus school for now. Drop the enrollment and the budgets are going to be looking bad. Urbana ain't going to be the last school to close because of the Corona.

Leave a comment:

• CALUPA69
    replied
    Originally posted by champgymusa View Post
    Ashland will be the favorite in the GMAC I would think so its probably a good move for them.
    I'm confused. Is this the same ASHLAND that got crushed 53-18 by 7-4 FINDLAY who finished in third place in the GMAC ?

Leave a comment:

• sbkbghockey
    replied
    Originally posted by ESU Warrior View Post
    Tough loss for the GLIAC but geographically I understand it.. Where do you guys go next? Do you think Madonna or Tech make the move over from NAIA? I remember a couple years ago there was discussion about Windsor, a Canadian school correct? I am not to familiar with the geography in your neck of the woods. Not sure if there are close GLVC schools that you can grab? Are there any other members that don't offer football that may look to start?
    Not sure many NAIA schools would want to make a move to NCAA until the economy and enrollment return to somewhat normal post-pandemic. One school that's been talked about before on the GLVC board for possible expansion is Indiana Wesleyan. A university that's had a strong history at the NAIA level, definitely has some good D2 level facilities, including a nice new football stadium, and they sponsor all of the GLIAC sports. They have about 3,500 on-campus enrollment and another 10,500 of online distance site students so IWU would give the GLIAC a stronger footprint in Indiana and Indianapolis area where IWU has a few extension sites.

Leave a comment:

• Eagles73
    replied
    I completely understand the financial reasons, especially with the budget cuts our governor has made. Smaller footprint, hopefully the Eagles can keep some ooc games with some rivals in the Gliac.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X