Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saggy/NCAA

Hope all on here are well. I have missed you gentlemen. Should be some interesting news hitting the wires tomorrow. Victories for any Saggy team from 2013-2017 will be vacated if any student athlete participated without declaring their amateur status. No playoff hosting for 4 years (not a problem for certain Saggy programs)... I believe the NCAA's exact terms were 'lack of institutional control'....you never want to hear that as an institution. The boy (my son) played from 2013-2017 so I told him it shouldn't be that painful for him. By the way, there were a number of football players suspended for this very reason in 2017 for two games. I gotta believe that's when the NCAA took a closer look as that was a self report back then. Enjoy the offseason fellas! Hey on another topic, any GLIAC guys in this new ALLIANCE League?

Re: Saggy/NCAA

Originally posted by saggydad View Post
    Hope all on here are well. I have missed you gentlemen. Should be some interesting news hitting the wires tomorrow. Victories for any Saggy team from 2013-2017 will be vacated if any student athlete participated without declaring their amateur status. No playoff hosting for 4 years (not a problem for certain Saggy programs)... I believe the NCAA's exact terms were 'lack of institutional control'....you never want to hear that as an institution. The boy (my son) played from 2013-2017 so I told him it shouldn't be that painful for him. By the way, there were a number of football players suspended for this very reason in 2017 for two games. I gotta believe that's when the NCAA took a closer look as that was a self report back then. Enjoy the offseason fellas! Hey on another topic, any GLIAC guys in this new ALLIANCE League?
    Only GLIAC guy in the league is WR Charles Johnson from GVSU. He's supposed to be the #1 WR for the Orlando Apollos.
    2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Nowhere in the article on the ncaa website does it say they can't host a playoff game for 4 years. It just says they can't in the spring of 2019.

Comment

I hope Saggy straightens things out.. finally. Seems like they've had issues of some sort for years. Awrey, then that issue in '17 and now this. Maybe '17 was part of this one, but come on Saggy... get the troops in line.

Comment

Looks like the current AD inherited a $hitstorm from the guy who screwed over Awrey
          Hope the Cardinals can recover quickly. Has there been any news out of the GLIAC commissioners office of does she just defer to the NCAA?

Comment

Originally posted by 4nick8 View Post
            Looks like the current AD inherited a $hitstorm from the guy who screwed over Awrey
            Hope the Cardinals can recover quickly. Has there been any news out of the GLIAC commissioners office of does she just defer to the NCAA?
            From what I've heard the issues at SVSU are more than just athletics. This comes from above athletics and the work between the athletic department and the rest of the university's administration.

I do think the current AD is trying to improve things and this is a part of that process.

I think these issues may explain why Mike Watson retired in December 2017. I think the $hit was about to hit the fan at that point and he knew he better get out before things got bad. From reading the NCAA Infractions report, the issue was noticed in the fall of 2017 and Watson retired in early December of that year.

I am a bit surprised the NCAA did not hit any specific administrators with a show-cause penalty regarding this.

I do think the penalties for this end up being fair as they won't penalize future student athletes at the university (except for a sport who might get a chance to host an NCAA regional in the fall of 2019).

I think the current AD will have SVSU moving in the correct direction in the future as well.

I do believe the 2017 issue was what started this investigation and penalty. The NCAA report indicates it was discovered in the fall of 2017, which would meet with the timing of the previous issue.

Comment

The university has a period of time to indicate to the NCAA all team records which are impacted by the ineligible and uncertified student athletes. I think this will be handled almost completely between the school and the NCAA. Once the school releases the list of impacted contests, then the GLIAC will make adjustments to the records within GLIAC play, as stipulated in the penalties. It's hard for the GLIAC to really do anything right now without all the information.

Comment

OK, here is the one that really bothers me (now that I have read it): 'In 2017-18, one football player was allowed to compete beyond the first 10 semesters he was enrolled at SVSU. The player had not been granted a waiver for a sixth year of eligibility'. There were only two players on that team in their 6th year (11th semester). So, the coaches should have been involved in the waiver petition process...or, at the very minimum knew that at least one players needed the waiver to play. We had already been through this with Jordan Sanders being denied a waiver so this was nothing new with the program....so, either the coaches new the NCAA rejected the waiver request...or, the request to the NCAA was never submitted. In my opinion, it falls on the coaches to be aware of who needs a waiver to compete.

Comment

Collins is leaving for a recruiting position at Army. The rats are jumping ship!

Comment

Some insider for you guys.....members of the team approached Collins last week in an effort to get Gonzaga fired. Well, that didn't happen...he's your new SVSU interim head football coach...lost in all of this, they waited until after football signing day to announce the NCAA stuff and Collins knew he was gone at that point so all of these recruits will most likely not be coached by anyone that recruited them.
                    What a terrific job this would be for a smart young go getter! Unbelievable facilities for DII, great location for recruiting, GLIAC competition...I gotta get on the phone with some old buddies that may have an interest.

Comment

http://athletics.svsu.edu/sports/fba...20190225hanrw3

Comment

Originally posted by TD search View Post
                        Collins is leaving for a recruiting position at Army. The rats are jumping ship!
                        Can't speak to whether it is a "ship-jump" or not, but people sure seem to be leaving. Looks like the RB Coach (who actually had a lot of positive rep among HS coaches, I'm given to understand) is headed to Marquette to run the O at Northern...

Comment

Some insider for you guys.....members of the team approached Collins last week in an effort to get Gonzaga fired. Well, that didn't happen...he's your new SVSU interim head football coach...lost in all of this, they waited until after football signing day to announce the NCAA stuff and Collins knew he was gone at that point so all of these recruits will most likely not be coached by anyone that recruited them.
                          What a terrific job this would be for a smart young go getter! Unbelievable facilities for DII, great location for recruiting, GLIAC competition...I gotta get on the phone with some old buddies that may have an interest.
                          C
                          ...sanctions looming:

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Nicolette View Post
                            Can't speak to whether it is a "ship-jump" or not, but people sure seem to be leaving. Looks like the RB Coach (who actually had a lot of positive rep among HS coaches, I'm given to understand) is headed to Marquette to run the O at Northern...
                            Fedrocy is a very good young coach who will do well in his career. I predict (with some insight) this week that Gonzaga will be gone as well (interim head coach). This guy bragged that he never spoke to players parents 'cause they think they're smarter than me' and he wants to be their HC...

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X