Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post
    You clearly ASSURED me (without any evidence) that ESU and "every other college football team in America" had bad apples in the basket, so yeah you attacked another school...Re-read your post...Maybe you don't understand what some words mean...Good job! PS The words in quotes are your words...
    But...they do.

Comment

You clearly ASSURED me (without any evidence) that ESU and "every other college football team in America" had bad apples in the basket, so yeah you attacked another school...Re-read your post...Maybe you don't understand what some words mean...Good job! PS The words in quotes are your words...
      I would think, if a roster has 100 kids on it, there would be at least one who has done something wrong or will in the future? That just seems within the realm of possibility.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

I would think, if a roster has 100 kids on it, there would be at least one who has done something wrong or will in the future? That just seems within the realm of possibility.
        Precisely. It's not an indictment. It's part of how things are these days. And, a decidedly unfortunate one at that.

Apparently some people know every skeleton in every closet of every kid that comes and goes from the roster of their beloved team. Fine. They're right and I retract my prior statement about their team, and I genuflect in apology to them in sheer awe of their omniscient condescension...

Comment

Originally posted by Irishlaker View Post

Precisely. It's not an indictment. It's part of how things are these days. And, a decidedly unfortunate one at that.

Apparently some people know every skeleton in every closet of every kid that comes and goes from the roster of their beloved team. Fine. They're right and I retract my prior statement about their team, and I genuflect in apology to them in sheer awe of their omniscient condescension...
          As I tried to indicate earlier it is not a question if their are bad apples in the bunch, there are. The question is how carefully does a school have to consider the possible consequences of signing an obviously talented but clearly flawed individual player. I would suggest they better have a structured plan in place with firm goals and guard rails. If you're comfortable that all is under control, then go for it. But do not be terrifically surprised if things blow up. Worth a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

Kids make mistakes, we all know that. Many deserve second chances. For a real relevant example, knocking the heads off statues after a night out is a bad choice, but when someone takes it to the level of domestic battery, IMO that is something that can't be overlooked because of a person's other talents. Representing ANY school should come with certain responsibility.

Comment

Originally posted by Irishlaker View Post

Damn thats some fancy talkin there scooter...must have gone to GVSU...Part of the reason I work at my job is to have the chance to help young men become better adults. Some guys make the best of a second shot or even a third...but you have to give them the chance...someone did with me once...Damn few of us are perfect...Anchor UP

Comment

Originally posted by champgymusa View Post

Damn thats some fancy talkin there scooter...must have gone to GVSU...Part of the reason I work at my job is to have the chance to help young men become better adults. Some guys make the best of a second shot or even a third...but you have to give them the chance...someone did with me once...Damn few of us are perfect...Anchor UP
                None of us are expecting perfection, but it would be nice if more programs cared more about character than winning at any cost.

Comment

I grew up around college football as my pops was a coach at Fresno State, Air Force, and finally CSU-Pueblo prior to him retiring this past spring. The number of young men I met along the way whom made mistakes and grew from them is incredible. Chances are deserved, we have a justice system to deal with the more serious issues but to sit here and judge a person for something we know nothing about seems a bit obtuse. Yes, every team has individuals that might just need to mature, or to find the right support system or environment to succeed in. Perhaps he doesn't take advantage of the opportunity, but I'll be pulling for him to do so and to become a productive member of society.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post
                    I grew up around college football as my pops was a coach at Fresno State, Air Force, and finally CSU-Pueblo prior to him retiring this past spring. The number of young men I met along the way whom made mistakes and grew from them is incredible. Chances are deserved, we have a justice system to deal with the more serious issues but to sit here and judge a person for something we know nothing about seems a bit obtuse. Yes, every team has individuals that might just need to mature, or to find the right support system or environment to succeed in. Perhaps he doesn't take advantage of the opportunity, but I'll be pulling for him to do so and to become a productive member of society.
                    I think it's fairly easy to draw a line at physically assaulting another person...Not sure why that's so difficult...People can live very productive lives without playing college football as well...

Comment

I think it's fairly easy to draw a line at physically assaulting another person...Not sure why that's so difficult...People can live very productive lives without playing college football as well...
                      Because life isn't as black and white as you seem to think that it is.

The reality is we aren't born with any sense of morality. We gain our morality through structure. Kids who lack that structure tend to have problems. One way they can gain it back is through organized sports. It cures idle hands and may very well provide that father figure the player is missing at home, a sense of belonging, comradery - and maybe most importantly some semblance of normalcy. It's really that simple.

As far as the player is concerned - you and I are not privy to the particulars of the situation. That being said, was what he did wrong? Absolutely. Should he be subjected to the consequences of his actions? Absolutely. Should we write him off as a "lost cause"? I don't personally think so - but we clearly differ there.

I'll close by reminding you that nobody is perfect - especially in their early adult years. Again, I'm not defending the player or his actions - I'm saying he's worth giving a second chance too, regardless of his athletic ability.

Comment

Sounds like you should have an issue with the justice system then "Judge Grant Bannister imposed a 30-day jail sentence and immediate probation, scheduled to end Dec. 19 should Rison meet the terms of the agreement."

Do you know the story behind the assault at all? College football is what can provide the path for a lot of young men to become productive members of society, without it we would have a lot of individuals without the means to attend college. "Not sure why that's so difficult."

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

Because life isn't as black and white as you seem to think that it is.

The reality is we aren't born with any sense of morality. We gain our morality through structure. Kids who lack that structure tend to have problems. One way they can gain it back is through organized sports. It cures idle hands and may very well provide that father figure the player is missing at home, a sense of belonging, comradery - and maybe most importantly some semblance of normalcy. It's really that simple.

As far as the player is concerned - you and I are not privy to the particulars of the situation. That being said, was what he did wrong? Absolutely. Should he be subjected to the consequences of his actions? Absolutely. Should we write him off as a "lost cause"? I don't personally think so - but we clearly differ there.

I'll close by reminding you that nobody is perfect - especially in their early adult years. Again, I'm not defending the player or his actions - I'm saying he's worth giving a second chance too, regardless of his athletic ability.
                          Playing football is a privilege. Actions have consequences. I hear coaches say that all of the time. As I wrote above "Kids make mistakes...Many deserve second chances." I have no skin in this particular case, but I understand your need to be so compassionate towards this young man. I sincerely hope you become involved in his life and spread the wonderful message of redemption you profess. Best of luck.

Comment

Playing football is a privilege. Actions have consequences. I hear coaches say that all of the time. As I wrote above "Kids make mistakes...Many deserve second chances." I have no skin in this particular case, but I understand your need to be so compassionate towards this young man. I sincerely hope you become involved in his life and spread the wonderful message of redemption you profess. Best of luck.
                            He made a mistake, so we should take football away from him permanently? Do you know how ridiculous that sounds?

No, I'm not getting involved in his life. I'm trying to change your perspective around. No need to get snippy with me.

Comment

What happened to the four players in the decapitation incident? ...Now I could leave it at that...but...these guys cut the heads off off snowmen and vandalized an outdoor display...but see what happens when you only get part of a story on here? Do you homework, get the WHOLE story before you call out kids....I can give you a list of kids that changed their lives with some coaching, support, and given a second chance. I can also give you some that didnt work out....trust your coaches to make these calls, the coaches get WAY more intel on kids that most of you think. NO coach is going way out on a limb unless they have a plan and ideas that they think can work...risk vs reward. Have a great weekend and do something nice for someone today.

Comment

Consequences like those handed out by our justice system? I've never interacted with you but after seeing these and other posts you seem both holier than thou and extremely unhappy for whatever reason. Best of luck.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X