Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

He made a mistake, so we should take football away from him permanently? Do you know how ridiculous that sounds?

No, I'm not getting involved in his life. I'm trying to change your perspective around. No need to get snippy with me.
    My post was sincere. Not meant to be snippy in ANY way...

Comment

Originally posted by champgymusa View Post

What happened to the four players in the decapitation incident? ...Now I could leave it at that...but...these guys cut the heads off off snowmen and vandalized an outdoor display...but see what happens when you only get part of a story on here? Do you homework, get the WHOLE story before you call out kids....I can give you a list of kids that changed their lives with some coaching, support, and given a second chance. I can also give you some that didnt work out....trust your coaches to make these calls, the coaches get WAY more intel on kids that most of you think. NO coach is going way out on a limb unless they have a plan and ideas that they think can work...risk vs reward. Have a great weekend and do something nice for someone today.
      The players involved in the incident were dealt with, as they should have been. Again, I never implied that ALL situations have to be dealt with the same way. No one was harmed in the statue incident, and that's why most of them are still with the team.

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

The players involved in the incident were dealt with, as they should have been. Again, I never implied that ALL situations have to be dealt with the same way. No one was harmed in the statue incident, and that's why most of them are still with the team.
        MOST are still on the team? So they whacked a kid for taking out a snowman display? Damn, you guys are tough on crime. I am sure Mrs Frosty was happy with the sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by champgymusa View Post

MOST are still on the team? So they whacked a kid for taking out a snowman display? Damn, you guys are tough on crime. I am sure Mrs Frosty was happy with the sentence.
          Character counts in some places...Beating up another person is way more heinous than beating up a statue. I'm sure you'd agree...

Comment

LMAO...WOW! Who would've thought we'd be having this convo about the high and mighty GVSU. Not sure how far back the archives go but funny how "some" looked down their noses at other schools and background of some of their players and coaches. I mean over the last 3-4 years you guys have some drug pushers, sprinkled in a few domestic violencers and top it off with a coaching hire who could have chosen any historical figure as a great leader...and chose Hitler of all people. Go Lakers!!!!

But in all seriousness, hope the Rison kid gets the turnaround he needs to become a better person. Agree with Champ on that it sometimes takes kids a few go arounds before they get it right, if they ever do. Have to remember you're dealing with 17 plus years of mental, emotional and societal programming in a kid's brain before he gets to college. Some of it's good, some not so good. All you can do is present a chance and try to provide direction to these young men and women and hope they grow from it.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
              I'm not defending his actions in any way, shape, or form - but Jayru had some pretty high profile altercations and from what I read, he seemed to straighten up through JUCO/FSU.

Hopefully this kid gets it figured out. Again, what he did is inexcusable - but maybe this is what he needs to change for the better.
              Jayru absolutely had high profile incidents, and he served his time for them, both in a legal sense and the fact he had to go the JUCO/DII route after he lost his full ride to Michigan State. I think those self inflicted issues Jayru had to deal with absolutely made him a better person than he was at Cass Tech High School. I think the proof of that was shown with how he handled last season when things did not go his way (with injuries) at Ferris. The Cass Tech Jayru would not have handled it the same way the Ferris St Jayru handled it.

The best way to describe the changed Jayru is in his own words. This was from an article in the Detroit News Titled "Jayru Campbell grateful for new daughter, football memories as NFL dream fades"

Comment

Originally posted by DawgUp View Post
                LMAO...WOW! Who would've thought we'd be having this convo about the high and mighty GVSU. Not sure how far back the archives go but funny how "some" looked down their noses at other schools and background of some of their players and coaches. I mean over the last 3-4 years you guys have some drug pushers, sprinkled in a few domestic violencers and top it off with a coaching hire who could have chosen any historical figure as a great leader...and chose Hitler of all people. Go Lakers!!!!

But in all seriousness, hope the Rison kid gets the turnaround he needs to become a better person. Agree with Champ on that it sometimes takes kids a few go arounds before they get it right, if they ever do. Have to remember you're dealing with 17 plus years of mental, emotional and societal programming in a kid's brain before he gets to college. Some of it's good, some not so good. All you can do is present a chance and try to provide direction to these young men and women and hope they grow from it.
                Do you know something everyone else doesn't? Those are awfully strong accusations with no evidence. Opening yourself up to quite the libel lawsuit there.
                2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Originally posted by chapmaja View Post

Jayru absolutely had high profile incidents, and he served his time for them, both in a legal sense and the fact he had to go the JUCO/DII route after he lost his full ride to Michigan State. I think those self inflicted issues Jayru had to deal with absolutely made him a better person than he was at Cass Tech High School. I think the proof of that was shown with how he handled last season when things did not go his way (with injuries) at Ferris. The Cass Tech Jayru would not have handled it the same way the Ferris St Jayru handled it.

The best way to describe the changed Jayru is in his own words. This was from an article in the Detroit News Titled "Jayru Campbell grateful for new daughter, football memories as NFL dream fades"
                  Exactly my point.

Jayru had a couple very high profile, very public incidents that will travel with him for the rest of his life - I don't know him personally, but JUCO/DII seemed to be what he needed to figure it out. I'm certainly not defending his actions in anyway, but he seemed to make the most of his second chance.

My hope is that Hunter Rison can do the same.

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

Do you know something everyone else doesn't? Those are awfully strong accusations with no evidence. Opening yourself up to quite the libel lawsuit there.
                    Libel lawsuit? Don't see any names mentioned. C'mon Kle, you know sarcasm when you see it (although GV definitely has some players with...lets just say "interesting backgrounds"). That being said, point is when the shoe is on the other foot amazing how...again I stress "some"... posters are ok with this type of thing when it suits their school. Either way, as I said earlier I'm glad these kids are getting a chance to right the ship, because there are a crap load of kids who don't get that chance so I hope they take advantage of it.

Comment

Libel lawsuit? Don't see any names mentioned. C'mon Kle, you know sarcasm when you see it (although GV definitely has some players with...lets just say "interesting backgrounds"). That being said, point is when the shoe is on the other foot amazing how...again I stress "some"... posters are ok with this type of thing when it suits their school. Either way, as I said earlier I'm glad these kids are getting a chance to right the ship, because there are a crap load of kids who don't get that chance so I hope they take advantage of it.
                      Dont worry we get it...every school has taken a chance on a few kids over the years and I think when the kid does great people like to attack them instead of celebrate the success...maybe just the way things are now days...I dont know...I hope Jayru gets a shot at the NFL the same way I do our kids at least get the chance. Covid has changed the landscape for this year but it wont last forever. Some kids take the chance and turn things around...some cant get out of their own way for whatever reason. If you enjoy Saturdays at the game then understand that every kid has something to prove..give em the chance..no matter what uniform they wear.

Comment

Ah, the ole "I didn't think anyone would call out my BS so I'll just say it was a joke" tactic.
                        2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

While I have no doubt that the guy is good at football, it feels like this doesn't address Grand Valley's main problem from last year: Lack of firepower at QB. GV has had very good pass-catchers for a while but they can only do so much when the passer is subpar.

Comment

Originally posted by Mk63NuclearBomb View Post
                            While I have no doubt that the guy is good at football, it feels like this doesn't address Grand Valley's main problem from last year: Lack of firepower at QB. GV has had very good pass-catchers for a while but they can only do so much when the passer is subpar.
                            You hit the nail on the proverbial head. IMO

Comment

Originally posted by Mk63NuclearBomb View Post
                              It will be interesting to see who they use at QB...will the new transfer be in the mix as well? Hopefully they can keep someone healthy as well...that would help a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

None of us are expecting perfection, but it would be nice if more programs cared more about character than winning at any cost.
                                You can say that now, but heck, how many calls have there been for Matt Mitchell's head the past couple of years. 8-3 in 2019, 10-2 in 2018, 8-3 in 2017, 12-1 in 2016, and 12-3 in 2015. A lot of schools would love to string a 5 year stretch together like that. But heck, for GVSU, leads to fans wanting more and grumping about getting a better coach.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X