Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fall sports suspended

GLIAC suspends fall sports until Jan 1,2021 per WSU Athletics website.

No surprise here. I hope basketball can proceed.

Comment

according to statement winter sports will not compete until Jan 1, but it looks like all sports can condition and work out.

Comment

Originally posted by sandman View Post
        according to statement winter sports will not compete until Jan 1, but it looks like all sports can condition and work out.
        I think this is one where the devil is in the details of how the media is stating the information. Even the title of this thread, "fall sports suspended" is not accurate. The headline, and media reporting should state that the GLIAC has suspended all athletic competition until Jan 1st, 2021.

While football is its own mess, it will be very interesting to see what happens with other sports who are impact. Among the fall sports, moving cross country back to spring might seem easy, but that will directly influence how track and field operates as many of your athletes in cross country are distance runners in track. Swimming and diving is among the winter sports that will be impacted. The first meets occur in October, and roughly 2/3rds of most teams schedules are completed by January 1st. Teams will have a few meets January, before training for the GLIAC meet which is in the middle of February. It will also be interesting to see how space in facilities gets handled with the possibility of both basketball teams, plus volleyball all having competitions within the same venues during January and February into March.

Heck, even football moving can impact other sports. It's not unheard of for football players at the DII level to also do another sport (track or baseball) during the spring season.

There could also be another interesting issue with moving fall sports back. Officials for games. As we cram multiple seasons into a tighter time frame, how many officials will be available to work the meets. Some sports already struggle to get officials for contests now, and with the scheduling changes, officials who would be working one sport in the fall, and another in the spring, may now have to choose what to work.

Comment

This post by far exemplifies why I rarely participate in this message board anyway. When you criticize another post heading and the media reporting because of some obscure difference it makes for bad feelings. Only an idiot with to much time on his hands and a hatred for media(probably a Trumper) would jump on something so hideously wrong. Sorry to all the good posters on this site but thats it for me. No more participation or donation to this site when I have to respond to such a criticism and then read a three paragraph diatribe of sheer speculation. What a waste of time.

Comment

I hope WSU can get into that new facility they are working on...it looks REALLY nice. Hopefully basketball will get some games in this year. How do you feel about spring football? I am not sure I am a fan of it but I guess thats above our paygrade anyway. You stole Erika Wallace from us so we counted with Wooster...LOL...kidding...both great people.

Comment

This post by far exemplifies why I rarely participate in this message board anyway. When you criticize another post heading and the media reporting because of some obscure difference it makes for bad feelings. Only an idiot with to much time on his hands and a hatred for media(probably a Trumper) would jump on something so hideously wrong. Sorry to all the good posters on this site but thats it for me. No more participation or donation to this site when I have to respond to such a criticism and then read a three paragraph diatribe of sheer speculation. What a waste of time.
              Don't let ther damn door hit you on thwe way out. If you want to sit behind your damn keyboard and act like 2 year old (or using you line, like Trump), because someone disagreed with your post then you apparently don't have the ability to have a conversation.

My comments were directly, and correctly related to both the media (multiple news sites), and your topic headline indicating fall sports are suspended. If you can't handled someone correcting inaccurate information, you are much more like a Trumper than me, I can be sure of that.

Then lets talk about the so called "three paragraph diatribe" about stuff that absolutely 100% falls into the discussion regarding what happens after the suspension of fall sports. I am a former student athlete in the GLIAC, in one of the sports that will be impacted by the decision not to have sports until after Jan 1st, 2021. Additionally, I have worked as an official in multiple sports that will be impacted by this decision. In addition, I also have a Master's Degree in Sports Management. I feel that does give me the ability to comment about `1) The scheduling of these events and seasons. 2) The scheduling of officials for these events and 3) The fact there are multiple sport student athletes who are impacted by these decisions.

It's one thing to disagree with what someone says, but to complain with absolutely no backing to your position, than then make a comment about the political leanings of the person posting it, really sounds like the " idiot with to much time on his hands."

Trust me, I for one won't miss you on this site.
              Last edited by chapmaja; 08-13-2020, 07:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by champgymusa View Post

I hope WSU can get into that new facility they are working on...it looks REALLY nice. Hopefully basketball will get some games in this year. How do you feel about spring football? I am not sure I am a fan of it but I guess thats above our paygrade anyway. You stole Erika Wallace from us so we counted with Wooster...LOL...kidding...both great people.
                To answer your question about spring football. Personally I don't like the idea of spring football seasons, with fact they will be trying to go to fall football the following year. I think when you get to college football that level starts putting a lot of stress on the body. You need several months to recover after the season, before getting back to a full season. While I do feel this is a bigger issue for the Power 5 level, I think it is a big issue at the lower levels of college football as well. No sport has the physicality of football. Additionally, playing in the spring institutes an entire other set of issues regarding injuries that can impact the game. If you suffer more serious injury in the fall season (for example a torn ACL), chances are generally good you can some back and play the following fall season. Tearing an ACL in the Spring makes it less likely a player comes back.

I will also say one of the reasons to push for a season even in the spring, at least at the D1 level, but also at the D2 level is money and scholarship related. At the D1 level schools are limited to 85 scholarships with no more than 25 initial scholarships per season. Not playing a season means you potentially have the majority of your players decide to come back for an additional season, while also trying to bring in new players. I expect the NCAA would grant schools scholarship relief from the limits, but you still run into the issue of the athletic department having to pay those scholarships to the school. That is an additional cost for the school to have those student athletes still around when they would have otherwise used up their eligibility. It is one of the reasons at least one school, when the spring season was cancelled, announced they would not allow spring athletes another year of eligibility to replace the lost season. (That school was Wisconsin-Madison, a rather well known and major athletic department). If schools are that concerned about money then, I wonder how they will be now that football is potentially impacted. Schools are already losing millions in revenue this year.
                At the D2 level, the idea of spring football isn't as much of a money issue, but there are still money issues to be dealt with. Even with only 36 total scholarships, you have to deal with how this impacts recruiting new student athletes to your program. What can your program afford in terms of scholarships to incoming players while having other players return.

Comment

I think at this point, if your a D2 school, you just hope and pray that in 12 months we are back on the field. I don't expect any sports to be played in D2 athletics this upcoming school year.

Comment

Sandman don't be too hasty. As a Wayne State alum and supporter I'm always interested in reading your comments and input. I would hate to lose a loyal Wayne State supporter like yourself from this site.
                    I don't think chapmaja was personally attacking you in his original post. It seems he was just voicing his opinion about "fall sports suspended".

Comment

Originally posted by WayneStatesman View Post

Sandman don't be too hasty. As a Wayne State alum and supporter I'm always interested in reading your comments and input. I would hate to lose a loyal Wayne State supporter like yourself from this site.
                      I don't think chapmaja was personally attacking you in his original post. It seems he was just voicing his opinion about "fall sports suspended".
                      That's how I read it too.

But even if it wasn't...a criticism of an opinion is not necessarily a criticism of the person.

Comment

I really don't see the GLIAC doing a spring season. The question is when would we play it? January and February are non starters, and heck, up in the UP it still pretty lousy weather wise for March as well, not that Allendale and Big Rapids can't see snow well into April as well.

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                          I really don't see the GLIAC doing a spring season. The question is when would we play it? January and February are non starters, and heck, up in the UP it still pretty lousy weather wise for March as well, not that Allendale and Big Rapids can't see snow well into April as well.
                          I think a lot will depend on what the government's allow by that point. I think the schools want to play for the reasons I mentioned above. Not playing at all will absolutely mess up the years of eligibility and scholarships, as well as budgets for the schools. I would expect that the NCAA will grant some sort of relief regarding scholarship limits for 2021-2022 and 2022-2023 as a result of this. They likely won't change the limits on incoming scholarships allowed, but I think they will have to allow exceptions to the total cap. What that looks like I don't know. The reason they would have to do something is because if you don't play a season, you have all these athletes potentially returning next year, without using a year of eligibility this season. You are very limited on bringing in new recruits next season if the scholarship limits are not expanded.

I think COVID-19 will be the "gift" that keeps on giving for years and years to come because of the financial impact it will have on college athletics. We are seeing Big Ten programs talking about numbers near 100 million dollars in terms of budget issues because of these postponements. The numbers are not as high for other levels, but the cancellations will absolutely be a financial burden on these schools.

Comment

Originally posted by chapmaja View Post

I think a lot will depend on what the government's allow by that point. I think the schools want to play for the reasons I mentioned above. Not playing at all will absolutely mess up the years of eligibility and scholarships, as well as budgets for the schools. I would expect that the NCAA will grant some sort of relief regarding scholarship limits for 2021-2022 and 2022-2023 as a result of this. They likely won't change the limits on incoming scholarships allowed, but I think they will have to allow exceptions to the total cap. What that looks like I don't know. The reason they would have to do something is because if you don't play a season, you have all these athletes potentially returning next year, without using a year of eligibility this season. You are very limited on bringing in new recruits next season if the scholarship limits are not expanded.

I think COVID-19 will be the "gift" that keeps on giving for years and years to come because of the financial impact it will have on college athletics. We are seeing Big Ten programs talking about numbers near 100 million dollars in terms of budget issues because of these postponements. The numbers are not as high for other levels, but the cancellations will absolutely be a financial burden on these schools.
                            I think you are wrong in two areas...not playing at all might be better for some schools bottom lines then playing in empty stadiums and adding in the travel expenses for teams and more testing expense. ..also there is no way at Division 2 that the NCAA lets them have a higher cap..GVSU can afford it maybe but how about others in the GLIAC? Some schools will just drop football completely and now you think they can come up with even more money? Disagree. Spring ball would be a terrible thing to do to a kids body as well. But then who gives two ****s about the players anyway? How about we come up with a plan to feed them and house them first then we worry about spring football. Behind the scenes is going to get bloody bad before this is done.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsThortonMelon View Post

I think you are wrong in two areas...not playing at all might be better for some schools bottom lines then playing in empty stadiums and adding in the travel expenses for teams and more testing expense. ..also there is no way at Division 2 that the NCAA lets them have a higher cap..GVSU can afford it maybe but how about others in the GLIAC? Some schools will just drop football completely and now you think they can come up with even more money? Disagree. Spring ball would be a terrible thing to do to a kids body as well. But then who gives two ****s about the players anyway? How about we come up with a plan to feed them and house them first then we worry about spring football. Behind the scenes is going to get bloody bad before this is done.
                              These and other tangible and intangible impacts are key. Few seem to have looked at this as the decisions were/are made. And like I mentioned on a General Topic thread, I wonder how many of these athletes, whose teams were shut down, eventually test positive vs. those that are in training camp or playing. I doubt if anyone is tracking that. And with respect to all of college athletics, there will be significant impacts to thousands of those indirectly related to athletic activities. Suffice to say, they will be impacted and unfortunately, many, in a fairly large negative way.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X