Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAIA Michigan Football Schools

I am curious about something being an Indiana kid, and an only passive follower of GLIAC schools. What is the consensus of each of the NAIA Michigan schools? I realize some of them are pretty new to football, but with the relative success of Davenport overall, are they considered to be the first place to pull from when it comes to GLIAC expansion? Here in Indiana, our our best two NAIAs (St. Francis and Marian) would probably beat our one D2 in my alma mater Indianapolis. I would love to move our NAIAs and Uindy to the GMAC, but that may be just me. How would the Michigan NAIAs do?

Additionally, is there some panic around losing another football school in Ashland?

Marian has beaten Indianapolis at least 2 of 3 if not all three times they played. In Indiana, the NAIA is much stronger than D2 in nearly every sport, not sure why any would want to go to D2. In the last few years, D2 has lost 2 Indiana members and gained 1. If Indianapolis was true to themselves they would join the NAIA and have instate rivalries that are close and competitive.

Comment

Originally posted by stealth View Post
      Marian has beaten Indianapolis at least 2 of 3 if not all three times they played. In Indiana, the NAIA is much stronger than D2 in nearly every sport, not sure why any would want to go to D2. In the last few years, D2 has lost 2 Indiana members and gained 1. If Indianapolis was true to themselves they would join the NAIA and have instate rivalries that are close and competitive.
      They have played twice.

2015 @ Marian L 28-22
      2016 Marian L 38-16

Indianapolis was 10-2 in 2015, but lost to CSUP in the first round of the playoffs.

Indianapolis was 6-5 in 2016.

Marian was 12-2 in 2015 and won the NAIA championship.

Marian was 11-1 in 2016 and lost in the quarterfinals to Eastern Oregon.

Marian has an enrollment of 1,980 and a budget of $12,606,020.

Indianapolis belongs in D2.

So does Marian.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

So does Marian.
        They really do, I love the idea of a in-conference and crosstown Indianapolis/Marian rivalry. Indiana has some great football rivalries outside D2 (the Monon Bell game in D3, and the Old Oaken Bucket Game at D1), and adding Marian/Uindy to that would be awesome.

Comment

Well it could make sense geographically, Uindy left NAIA all those years ago for a reason, and it seems rare to see teams move back to NAIA unless they have no options otherwise. Uindy is a proud D2, and them moving to D1 is more likely than going NAIA (and there is little to no shot they go D1).

Comment

I remember reading an article that was posted on a different message board about D2 and NAIA football being pretty even across the country overall.

BTW, that other message board isn't near as cool as this one.

Comment

Originally posted by crixus View Post
              I remember reading an article that was posted on a different message board about D2 and NAIA football being pretty even across the country overall.

BTW, that other message board isn't near as cool as this one.
              That article is not based in fact.

Winners win. Eventually, achieving teams like Sioux Falls, Lindenwood, etc. will find success in Division II, but to pretend that NAIA Football is at the same level as Division II is misguided at best.

Comment

From what I've always heard NAIA Marian is pretty unique. Marian won national championships by making a living off guys whose academic record couldn't get them into NCAA schools AND Marian takes it to a different level by regularly enrolling trouble makers (some with long rap sheets booted by D1 schools - All Conference Big Ten talent that no other school would touch etc). If Marian was D2 (and therefore clean following NCAA eligibility rules) they'd have to throw out their whole system. All you have to do is look into some of their individual reputations and background or know a candid prep scout to talk to.

Comment

Originally posted by michiganfb View Post
                  From what I've always heard NAIA Marian is pretty unique. Marian won national championships by making a living off guys whose academic record couldn't get them into NCAA schools AND Marian takes it to a different level by regularly enrolling trouble makers (some with long rap sheets booted by D1 schools - All Conference Big Ten talent that no other school would touch etc). If Marian was D2 (and therefore clean following NCAA eligibility rules) they'd have to throw out their whole system. All you have to do is look into some of their individual reputations and background or know a candid prep scout to talk to.
                  That may have been the case under the first coach that left for Walsh after the first championship. But I know the current coach is running a pretty standup program. Marian's biggest advantage is that their President is very, very good; bringing in $10s of millions every year, adding programs that attract more money, and the school is well connected.

Comment

That may have been the case under the first coach that left for Walsh after the first championship. But I know the current coach is running a pretty standup program. Marian's biggest advantage is that their President is very, very good; bringing in $10s of millions every year, adding programs that attract more money, and the school is well connected.
                    Ya, Indiana might be the exception when it comes to NAIA versus D2/D3. Marian and Saint Francis are probably at the D2 level at least in football. Indiana Wesleyan could be D2 with time, but probably a good D3 at this point, and Taylor probably a D3 if we are making direct comparisons.

Comment

I hear coaches talk about the current Marian system and current staff that's been there over 5 years or so. Marian's past and present reputation is that they will recruit the type of kid that other schools won't take because of their unacceptable character - along with some that NCAA schools can't take because of academics.

We know the big names who were booted from D1 teams and Marian claimed were straight now but other school still wouldn't touch - like the Marian guy All Big Ten as a sophomore booted from IU that Indiana State couldn't take on and then he went right back to jail after Marian's football season ended. But the difference makers on the roster are some D1 talent guys who aren't big names but only Marian and a few other schools will recruit.

Comment

Originally posted by michiganfb View Post
                        I agreed before when Michiganfb admitted that type of Marian player was fun to watch. Guys that obviously aren't playing D1 for one reason or another really stick out on an NAIA team. They won against UIndy with a few of that type. And I agree that a young kid should be given another chance after he causes problems and breaks policies at school or in the community. I think the reason Marian lost respect in Central Indiana even the last few years is they kept recruiting and adding players with character issues that were already given a number of opportunities to improve and didn't.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X