Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Signing Day!

Seems like maybe football has fallen by the wayside a bit without a season in the fall.

We just had signing day, who are some guys your team recruited that you are excited to see?

Here's the full list of guys for GVSU: https://gvsulakers.com/news/2021/2/3...-signs-43.aspx

I don't really know much about the GVSU guys, but from watching the signing day video, there's at least one guy at each position group that looks super promising, so I picked out a few of them.

The tight end Garrett Jostworth looks like a monster of a receiving TE, very Keizer or Mathews-like in his tape, IMO. Derrick Woods at RB looked very quick and like he has great balance, and it sounds like a lot of higher-level teams were fought off for him. At WR, Darrell Johnson looked like a guy who might be faster than anyone GV has had since....Blake Smolen? Same thing with Finney from Port Huron. They both look lightning fast. Then you had a couple more "possession" guys for those jumpballs. On the OL, I thought Blake-Jones and Walker Martin looked good in their film, and I always appreciate the guys who are following in family footsteps. Blake-Jones' brother is on the baseball team at GV currently.

On defense, I really liked Davion Haynes and Terez Reid from the DB group, and I like how it looked like every guy could play CB or Safety. They all had range, tackling ability, and ball skills it looked like. On the DL, Noah Kindle looks like a terrifying monster from the outside, and Thomas Jolly looked impressive as an inside guy, and that's awesome because finding guys who project to the inside, out of high school, is pretty rare for a D-II school. Usually you need to bulk up an outside guy. I also can't help but notice that we got yet ANOTHER pass rusher from West Bloomfield, which is where Judon and Danny Richard have both come from. We seem to have a lot of success with the pass rushers out of there. Cardamone at LB looked like a football-seeking missile in his tape lol.

There were some interesting discussions with Mitch at the beginning of the recruiting show (you can watch it here: https://www.espn.com/watch/player/_/...3-ac7a37a9f327 ). They were talking about both how Division II programs got kind of a boost in recruiting because there were dead periods for D1 coaches for basically a whole year, and D2 programs weren't really subject to that. They also talked about how GV handled some of the guys who were supposed to be seniors in the fall of 2020, and could have stayed with their "free" year of eligibility or graduated and moved on. They said that there were "quite a few good players" who chose to move on from the program for either professional reasons or because they had graduated. They didn't mention any names, though. I really hope GV didn't lose anyone of note to either graduation or transfer. There were quite a few bright spots, especially in younger players, last year, that I really hope stuck it out and will be on the field this fall.
    Last edited by KleShreen; 02-04-2021, 06:17 PM.
    2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Ferris 2021 NSD video:

Player Bios and Highlights:

Looks like a really good class on paper. TA thinks this is his best recruiting class ever (time will tell on that). Definitely a few kids who are D1 talents. Good mixture of size and speed. Typical Ferris recruiting blue print.

Big, strong, athletic off. linemen (all over 300lbs). TA has a liking for the big boys that play basketball, lol. Only took 3 due to transfers coming in but the quality is still there (Windom, Dorsey, Hattar). DLine is more power than speed. Couple of nice edge setters (MacPhee/Clark) and some stout DTs (Herndon/Smithers). Ruffin gives flexibility at 6'5 280. May start inside but can easily move outside.

Of the 3 QBs signed, Chambliss is a 4.4 guy-probably better runner than passer. Taylor is listed as a drop back passer but is super athletic and Gulker is a bit of an unkown. Played in a run heavy system but coach said he's the best football player he's ever coached.

Good balance at the WR position. Two 6'4 guys on the outside (Matthews/Hammonds) and typical quick twitch slots (Brett/Rose). Crowley is former Muskegon qb with really good speed. Housey, Florida kid who can fly. Is very quick off the line. Eats db cushion up in the first 3-4 steps.

Only took 2 TBs. Riley is quick with good feet, good burst. Short stocky build (5'8 190) gets a lot of yards after contact. Phillips..wow. TA said RB with the most upside he's ever coached. Another Florida kid who can fly. Legit 4.3 kid with shiftiness.

DB's look to be upgrades at least from an athletic stand point. Edwards/Lollar are playmaking safeties while Monclerc/Watkins are long athletic corners. Payoute is a nickel back who could easily flip over and play slot with his quickness.

Just 2 LB and 1 TE this class. Both LBs have nice size and decent speed/movement. And TE Plamondon is a thumper.

Comment

Originally posted by DawgUp View Post
      [SIZE=16px]Ferris 2021 NSD video:

Only took 2 TBs. Riley is quick with good feet, good burst. Short stocky build (5'8 190) gets a lot of yards after contact. Phillips..wow. TA said RB with the most upside he's ever coached. Another Florida kid who can fly. Legit 4.3 kid with shiftiness.

Phillips is a 3* with multiple FBS offers and was committed to BGSU for a while. And i was mad that we didn't get derrick woods despite his OC being an alum...

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
      Working...
      X