Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G-MAC / GLIAC Updates

Over the past month I had a chance to attend five D2 spring games/practices; two in the GLIAC and three from G-MAC. Spoke to head and assistant coaches on a variety of subjects, below is a synopsis of their updates/predictions.

1. By 2020 both Ashland & Northwood will be leaving the GLIAC for the G-MAC
    2. I asked if UIndy would be joining either GLIAC or G-MAC and while all of the coaches would love to see UIndy in their league, none of them felt UIndy would be leaving their current conference
    3. I inquired if any Indiana or Michigan NAIA school would make the jump to D2, specifically Indiana Wesleyan since they have excellent facilities & quality sports teams and could excel in either league, none of those five coaches or their staff thought that was a possibility
    4. Inquiring that if both Ashland & Northwood left the GLIAC, leaving just seven football schools remaining, the two GLIAC coaches thought that scenario would be a disaster
    5. The G-MAC coaches seem more optimistic on their conference's future, even with Malone dropping football and Lake Erie's program on life support...noted their geography as being in their favor to continue to expand
    6. My final question to the G-MAC coaches was if Notre Dame College would leave the MEC and come over...all three loved that idea and stated they had no knowledge of NDC's intentions but suggested they would likely not leave since they are having so much success in that conference

Not a lot of updates...but maybe some info that is new to some of you and worth more discussion and/or investigation

Re: G-MAC / GLIAC Updates

I've been to some Ashlamd functions, gatherings, recently. I don't see them leaving that quick. What Indy does is a factor. And one of the Ohio schools, or lower Michigan schools may come.

Comment

Originally posted by richald View Post
      I've been to some Ashlamd functions, gatherings, recently. I don't see them leaving that quick. What Indy does is a factor. And one of the Ohio schools, or lower Michigan schools may come.
      Northwood would be the only GLIAC Michigan school, but IMHO they stay due to geography. The GMAC does not want any public Michigan in this conference.
      It makes too much sense for the NDC - AB trade with the MEC, politics will prevent it.
      Malone dropping and possible LEC dropping actually helps for the Ashland cause, it they did not have to play KyWes or LEC in football, they would be happy.

Comment

With four GLIAC teams within a 90 minute drive Northwood would join the GMAC? Doubtful at best.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsThortonMelon View Post
          With four GLIAC teams within a 90 minute drive Northwood would join the GMAC? Doubtful at best.
          Yeah, I don't see Northwood disliking the GLIAC enough to trade it for that much more travel.

Comment

Originally posted by OhioD2 View Post
            Northwood would be the only GLIAC Michigan school, but IMHO they stay due to geography. The GMAC does not want any public Michigan in this conference.
            It makes too much sense for the NDC - AB trade with the MEC, politics will prevent it.
            Malone dropping and possible LEC dropping actually helps for the Ashland cause, it they did not have to play KyWes or LEC in football, they would be happy.
            Northwood is private.
            2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Originally posted by OhioD2 View Post
              Last I checked, the GMAC doesn't want any public schools, let alone any from Michigan. That said, Ashland would probably have to face Kentucky Wesleyan if they were to move to the GMAC, so that almost seems unavoidable.
              Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Suppose GVSU was to make the leap to FCS? I wonder what is any effect that might have on the GLIAC? Pure conjecture of course but if there is a school in the GLIAC that could pull it off I would think GVSU would be close facilities wise anyway. Budget it a another story I suspect.

Comment

Suppose GVSU was to make the leap to FCS? I wonder what is any effect that might have on the GLIAC? Pure conjecture of course but if there is a school in the GLIAC that could pull it off I would think GVSU would be close facilities wise anyway. Budget it a another story I suspect.
                  We've seen less able schools make the jump. I have no doubt that Grand Valley could if they wanted to in the near future. Donors are at an all-time high due to the school being a 20,000+ student school for over a decade along with them having an increased presence in the fabric of Grand Rapids. The master plan of the school seems to call for a new arena as the next big athletic project. The completion of that project could be the catalyst to upward mobility since it is the last athletics facility that really isn't up to D1 standards.
                  Last edited by BeachinLaker; 04-26-2019, 07:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BeachinLaker View Post
                    We've seen less able schools make the jump. I have no doubt that Grand Valley could in the near future. Donors are at an all-time high due to the school being a 20,000+ student school for over a decade along with them having an increased presence in the fabric of Grand Rapids. The master plan of the school seems to call for a new arena as the next big athletic project. The completion of that project could be the catalyst to upward mobility since it is the last athletics facility that really isn't up to D1 standards.
                    Can't wait for our best potential event in athletics history to be a first-round NCAA Tournament upset.

Every school that has gone D1 in the last 20 years should have their entire administration fired.
                    2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post
                        Can't wait for our best potential event in athletics history to be a first-round NCAA Tournament upset.

Every school that has gone D1 in the last 20 years should have their entire administration fired.
                        What ultimately needs to be done is a total revamp of the divisions. Four Divisions: D1 = Power 5, D2 = Every D1 regional college along with any current D2s that want to compete at this level, D3 = The current D2 schools. D4 = The current D3 schools. Until the NCAA draws a hard line in the sand that says Division I athletics should be the Power 5 schools only, we'll continue to see regional and private colleges make the jump for that D1 "prestige" and exposure.

Comment

What upgrades need to be made to the football stadium? There are some pretty ho-hum FCS stadiums out there.

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

North Dakota State

Comment

Originally posted by BeachinLaker View Post
                              What upgrades need to be made to the football stadium? There are some pretty ho-hum FCS stadiums out there.
                              You have to sell so many tickets to be D1 I believe. So Stadium capacity would have to be larger.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X