X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESU Warrior
    replied
    Originally posted by Redwing View Post

Well, when Philly came on board, she did mention that was on her radar. With the way the GLIAC has been going the tide has clearly changed. I think if they move, football will do just fine. Hopefully they could be competing for a natty in 5 years....at least in the Playoffs. I also believe that it'll be a super tough grind for all the other sports though. Conference championships may sadly become the new goal. If they do move, it might be to 2 conferences since football isn't part of the conference(Horizon??) that would make the most sense. I do wish the NCAA would figure out what might be happening with the power 5 conferences though. That would likely change the landscape a ton when/if that ever happens....at least with respect to football.

I wonder what's on FSU/SVSU's radar. Wayne might really be scratching their heads. And with Wayne, they've been really upgrading their facilities lately. Not sure if the infrastructure is good enough for D1. As for Dport, who knows how deep their pockets are?
    I can only speak on what I have seen, and when we traveled to GVSU for our playoff game in '05 the facilites were top notch. School was enormous. I have not seen anything like that in D-2. In the Northeast here we have many FCS schools, and I have been to many and seen their facilities. GVSU is right on par, IMO. I don't know financially what the situation would be, but I have no doubt they would be an attractive school for the Ohio Valley Conference.

I also heard the same about FSU when East Stroudsburg played them 2 years ago. I personally did not see the grounds, but when you compare what you guys have against the Duquense's, Robert Morris's, Sacred Heart, Marist's, Stony Brook's; there is no gap in facilities. I will even put Lehigh and Lafayette in that category.

I still hope some of the NAIA's can make the transition. A healthy GLIAC conference is best for D-2. I say the same about the GNAC on the west coast. Conference stability is important.

Leave a comment:

• ESU Warrior
    replied
    Originally posted by Uindy18 View Post

I doubt that a Canadian school would be in the cards. The Canadian college sports system is fairly independent of relations with NCAA schools outside of Simon Fraser in the GNAC. I imagine the NAIA route would be the easiest route for the GLIAC, but the fact that Davenport is now the only private school is troubling.
    Windsor University was the school that was mentioned. I couldn't find an article on it through google, so it may have just been speculation on this board.

Leave a comment:

• ESU Warrior
    replied
    Originally posted by BlueBlood View Post

If the 7 MI public schools are committed to sticking together, and Purdue NW and UW Parkside are committed, is that shaky ground? Or sustainable? I kind of think that if the base is committed to each other, there should be stability and sustainability.
    Sustainable, IMO.

Leave a comment:

• BlueBlood
    replied
    Originally posted by WayneStatesman View Post

We'll see what happens now that the future of the GLIAC looks shaky.
    If the 7 MI public schools are committed to sticking together, and Purdue NW and UW Parkside are committed, is that shaky ground? Or sustainable? I kind of think that if the base is committed to each other, there should be stability and sustainability.

Leave a comment:

• WayneStatesman
    replied
    Originally posted by mtsax305 View Post

If you go back over 20 years ago, WSU had legitimate plans to re-join the MAC. Though I have no clue how they would have made it financially or competitively feasible considering WSU was literally a dumpster fire back then. I have a feeling a move to FCS is somewhere in the President and AD's playbook. However, I don't think they would make the jump without some of the GLIAC schools doing so as well.
    For what it's worth, sometime in the early 2000s Wayne State commissioned a study to determine what direction Wayne should take for their athletic program. As I recall the recommendation from this study was to move to D1 with an FCS level football program. Included in that study was a recommendation to add hockey as a varsity sport which you may recall Wayne State did at the D1 level for a short period of time. Other than adding hockey Wayne State basically did not follow any of the other recommendations put forth in the study. It seems Wayne State decided to stick with D2 maybe because the GLIAC was pretty strong at the time.

We'll see what happens now that the future of the GLIAC looks shaky.

Leave a comment:

• KleShreen
    replied
    Originally posted by champgymusa View Post

I think many sports like track and field, cross country, womens soccer could be pretty good right out of the box. Give football a few years and the shollys and they will be pretty solid as well. Philly did say it was her goal to grow the school and given the GLIAC issues this could be the time and plan. I could see football going Ohio Valley and the other sports going Horizon? Who knows...fun times...Sorry to see the Wood leave...maybe they can win a few more games and travel more too...SMH..
    I wouldn't be surprised in the least, if 10-15 years from now, what has happened is the GLIAC started falling apart, GV jumps ship to D1, and then all of a sudden there's a bunch of interest from the Ohio schools and Hillsdale and Northwood to make their own new conference together. Then we'll really know what the reasoning is...lol.

Leave a comment:

• champgymusa
    replied

Well, when Philly came on board, she did mention that was on her radar. With the way the GLIAC has been going the tide has clearly changed. I think if they move, football will do just fine. Hopefully they could be competing for a natty in 5 years....at least in the Playoffs. I also believe that it'll be a super tough grind for all the other sports though. Conference championships may sadly become the new goal. If they do move, it might be to 2 conferences since football isn't part of the conference(Horizon??) that would make the most sense. I do wish the NCAA would figure out what might be happening with the power 5 conferences though. That would likely change the landscape a ton when/if that ever happens....at least with respect to football.

I wonder what's on FSU/SVSU's radar. Wayne might really be scratching their heads. And with Wayne, they've been really upgrading their facilities lately. Not sure if they infrastructure is good enough for D1. As for Dport, who knows how deep their pockets are?
    I think many sports like track and field, cross country, womens soccer could be pretty good right out of the box. Give football a few years and the shollys and they will be pretty solid as well. Philly did say it was her goal to grow the school and given the GLIAC issues this could be the time and plan. I could see football going Ohio Valley and the other sports going Horizon? Who knows...fun times...Sorry to see the Wood leave...maybe they can win a few more games and travel more too...SMH..

Leave a comment:

• mtsax305
    replied

Wayne might really be scratching their heads. And with Wayne, they've been really upgrading their facilities lately. Not sure if they infrastructure is good enough for D1.
    I can't point to specific examples, but I've seen pictures of some truly dreadful FCS facilities that are worse than any GLIAC school. In the Fall, the oldest facilities will be the pool and the football stadium, both built in the 60's. Tom Adams has had significant work done recently and there is more than enough room surrounding it to build a bigger football office and better visitor stands. Facilities-wise, we wouldn't be number 1, but probably not bottom-barrel.

If you go back over 20 years ago, WSU had legitimate plans to re-join the MAC. Though I have no clue how they would have made it financially or competitively feasible considering WSU was literally a dumpster fire back then. I have a feeling a move to FCS is somewhere in the President and AD's playbook. However, I don't think they would make the jump without some of the GLIAC schools doing so as well.

Leave a comment:

• Redwing
    replied
    Originally posted by MrsThortonMelon View Post
    Anyone want to bet that GVSU and their new President decide the time is right to move to FCS football and join the Ohio Valley? This could be the push they need and no one could blame them for taking care of their business that way. Not that hard to imagine they have not a plan in place for this for a while.

I wonder what's on FSU/SVSU's radar. Wayne might really be scratching their heads. And with Wayne, they've been really upgrading their facilities lately. Not sure if the infrastructure is good enough for D1. As for Dport, who knows how deep their pockets are?
    Last edited by Redwing; 04-29-2021, 04:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mtsax305
    replied
    Originally posted by UFOILERFAN View Post

I'm only counting 10 GLIAC basketball schools after Ashland and Northwood leave.
    Yeah, I think they forgot to not count Ashland. Bad tweet to share on my part.

Leave a comment:

• Uindy18
    replied
    Originally posted by MrsThortonMelon View Post
    Anyone want to bet that GVSU and their new President decide the time is right to move to FCS football and join the Ohio Valley? This could be the push they need and no one could blame them for taking care of their business that way. Not that hard to imagine they have not a plan in place for this for a while.
    Ya, GVSU is always an odd one. I am not sure the OVC or the MVC would be the better fit for them. They are giants for DII, and I think they like taking the NDSU approach and not always trying to rush up to Division 1. Yet if the GLIAC were to implode, they would either have to go to D1 or anchor whatever new conference comes along to fill that gap.

Leave a comment:

• UFOILERFAN
    replied
    Originally posted by mtsax305 View Post
    No idea who runs this Twitter, but it sounds like GLIAC will be adding a program soon.

https://twitter.com/GreatLakesHoops/...02868028162050
    I'm only counting 10 GLIAC basketball schools after Ashland and Northwood leave.

Leave a comment:

• MrsThortonMelon
    replied

Leave a comment:

• mtsax305
    replied
    Originally posted by GLIAC Fan View Post
    Best be the for GLIAC is to have a current member like Purdue NW start a football team, much like Davenport did a few years ago.
    Sounds like LSSU at least was considering it.
    Lake Superior State University administrators have submitted a funding proposal to the state of Michigan which could help them construct a new indoor athletic facility, and they are considering new athletic programs that could use it.President Rodney Hanley said during a recent Board of Trustees meeting the capital outlay request was submitted within the last few months and LSSU already has some indication on where it stands.�We did get feedback on that capital outlay proposal,�

Leave a comment:

• Uindy18
    replied
    Originally posted by GLIAC Fan View Post
    Best be the for GLIAC is to have a current member like Purdue NW start a football team, much like Davenport did a few years ago.
    That would be something. I doubt Purdue-NW would, just because the budgetary state of public colleges in Indiana. If I remember correctly, they were not even sure if they were going to keep a lot of regional campuses like Purdue-NW open a few years ago, and Purdue-NW only survived because it was merger of two other schools (one of which was Purdue-Calumet I think)

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X