Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Irishlaker View Post

This game has been discussed out here already. Kle summed it up well: We were in a bind w/ Ashland bailing, and we didn't need three straight roadies including a UP trip. While I'm not a fan of it and I have no idea how hard we did or didn't work to try and fill this with a D2 game, I find it hilarious that this is somehow another reason to go D1.

Since you seem to think it's so simple, I'll go out and stand by the mailbox and wait for the check you're going to send to cover all of the expenses tied to this. You can send us the big one to get things started on facility upgrades, and another one each year to cover the additional schollies, staff salaries, and additional travel we would incur. You can also cover the shortfalls we would see in reduced attendance because we play teams no one cares about and because we don't win as much, and you can also backfill the marketing budget that would need help because we aren't competing for national titles anymore.

Brilliant...
    Do you pick up GVs mail? You're higher up in the organization than I thought. :-)

Comment

• Honestly, I don't think one can or should rationalize anyone moving up to D1 by the actual costs. One reason is the way the funds are counted. Even then, there's all those intangibles that push one to moving to the D1 level. If it was money, there would only be a handful of D1 schools out there and many schools would move down from D1. We know that ain't happening. And again, when it comes to the athletes.. (and their parents), most will take a less successful D1 school over a moderately successful or even championship D2 school.

Comment

• Originally posted by UFOILERFAN View Post

Do you pick up GVs mail? You're higher up in the organization than I thought. :-)
        Tighten your stuff up man...we use wire transfer..mail is so not cool....

Comment

• Sure is quiet in here. I say give it two months.

Comment

• Last I checked, GVSU still needs to get themselves a new arena for basketball/volleyball, and at least a new pool as well, as I believe they've been using a local HS pool for meets instead of the on campus pool.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
              Last I checked, GVSU still needs to get themselves a new arena for basketball/volleyball, and at least a new pool as well, as I believe they've been using a local HS pool for meets instead of the on campus pool.
              I don't know about the pool, but the current arena isn't any more lacking than some other schools. Not saying that it can't be larger, but believe it or not, it there are D1 schools with similar sized arenas.. Oakland Univ for one. And there is still Van Andel.

Comment

• Originally posted by Redwing View Post

I don't know about the pool, but the current arena isn't any more lacking than some other schools. Not saying that it can't be larger, but believe it or not, it there are D1 schools with similar sized arenas.. Oakland Univ for one. And there is still Van Andel.
                True about Van Andel, but how often are we going to come close to filling a 10,000 seat arena for men's basketball in say January. A match-up with Sparty or Michigan would draw a crowd there, but there's not much in the GLIAC or the Horizon league. Plus then there's always the scheduling issue with the Griffins and the odd concert that goes there.

Comment

True about Van Andel, but how often are we going to come close to filling a 10,000 seat arena for men's basketball in say January. A match-up with Sparty or Michigan would draw a crowd there, but there's not much in the GLIAC or the Horizon league. Plus then there's always the scheduling issue with the Griffins and the odd concert that goes there.
                  That was my point. I would think maybe a game or 2 might be held at VA.. the rest at the fieldhouse. So, from a facilities perspective, GV currently looks like they wouldn't have to do much, if anything.

Comment

Last I checked, GVSU still needs to get themselves a new arena for basketball/volleyball, and at least a new pool as well, as I believe they've been using a local HS pool for meets instead of the on campus pool.
                    GVSU still swims most of their meets at the GVSU pool. They will swim some meets at Jenison High School. The 2020-2021 season only had them host 1 meet, which was on campus vs Findlay. That meet was actually thrown together because they were supposed to swim Findlay at EMU with the EMU women, but EMU suspended the program due to COVID the week before the meet.

The last time GVSU swam a non-championship home meet at a high school pool would have been when they hosted Michigan State at Jenison. They have however hosted the GLIAC meet (or co-hosted it) at Jension or the Holland Aquatic Center in recent years. This is not uncommon as only SVSU has hosted the GLIAC meet at their facility in the last decade. The majority of the time it has been at a facility like a high school (Jenison or Waterford Kettering when WSU hosted), or CSU or Spire Institute when Ashland was the host. Now that they use co-hosting duties, it is likely to be at non-college facilities more than on campus (2022 will be at SVSU)

Comment

• This is arguably one of the most fun threads in the country right now. It's incredible to see where the GLIAC was 10 years ago vs. now. In 2011, I'd say across the board, it was one of the top, if not THE top, conferences in the country. Now, it seems safe to say the future of the conference is in serious jeopardy, although obviously the top dogs (FSU, GVSU, WSU to some extent) are still very good members. With Ashland and Northwood both gone now (essentially), and rumors of GV going Division I on the "Horizon" ...league(see what I did there :) ), where else does the GLIAC go? Michigan is pretty well tapped unless they can convince some NAIA or D3s to make the jump. But, who wants to come into a league with gigantic state schools when they have their comfort zones in their current conferences. Like a Concordia Ann Arbor, geographically, great. But athletically, phew, not good. And you can't really go west or south. It just really feels like that league has a clock and it's counting down faster than the commissioner can handle (which, crazy to think about the timeline of when the previous commissioner left and the new one began and how that correlates to the league's downturn).

Comment

• People not paying enough attention to that last line, GetOily...

Comment

• Originally posted by Jim McElwain View Post
                          Hearing rumblings...
                          Jim I can back you up here (assuming the rumblings you heard are what I have just had passed along to me). Things could get interesting.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gliac_fan10 View Post

Jim I can back you up here (assuming the rumblings you heard are what I have just had passed along to me). Things could get interesting.
                            Nothing quite like playing the "I know something you guys don't know but I'm not gonna tell you" game lol.
                            2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

• Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

Nothing quite like playing the "I know something you guys don't know but I'm not gonna tell you" game lol.

Comment

• Nobody needs to know who your source is.
                                2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X