• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parkside will start football, most likely in 2023

Comment

Originally posted by 4nick8 View Post
      Parkside will start football, most likely in 2023
      I feel like if that was going to happen, it would have been announced by now. Two years is pretty much the deadline for building up a program before starting.
      2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

I feel like if that was going to happen, it would have been announced by now. Two years is pretty much the deadline for building up a program before starting.
        Also, if they play D2 football they will not be allowed to offer scholarships, correct?

Comment

Originally posted by UFOILERFAN View Post

Also, if they play D2 football they will not be allowed to offer scholarships, correct?
          Correct. Like someone else said, they could find creative ways to make it cheap for football players to attend if they want, just like the powerhouse D3 schools do, but I would think it would be quite tough to do at the D2 level.

Comment

Originally posted by stealth View Post
            Honestly, I think the GLIAC's best opportunity is PNW, and lessor so UWP. PNW is pushing to be respectable as a residential campus and shed that commuter campus tag. Football would do a lot to push that narrative. Also, to respectable FB in Northwest Indiana (besides ND). Valpo is a joke. Saint Joe suspend their campus. There is opportunity.

Parkside, is close to Chicago, not sure why they wouldn't add football, being DII would be a definite recruiting advantage in WI, but there must be a reason after all these years of opportunity.
            As Kle pointed out, Wisconsin-Parkside wouldn't be able to sponsor D2 football because of the agreement that only Madison gets to sponsor scholarship-level football. Is Purdue-NW (and, for that matter, Purdue-Fort Wayne) bound by similar restrictions that essentially limits D1/D2 level football at West Lafayette?
            Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

As Kle pointed out, Wisconsin-Parkside wouldn't be able to sponsor D2 football because of the agreement that only Madison gets to sponsor scholarship-level football. Is Purdue-NW (and, for that matter, Purdue-Fort Wayne) bound by similar restrictions that essentially limits D1/D2 level football at West Lafayette?
              Indiana, Ball State, Notre Dame, Purdue in FBS. Indiana State in FCS. UIndy in D2 all are scholarship programs.

Comment

Indiana, Ball State, Notre Dame, Purdue in FBS. Indiana State in FCS. UIndy in D2 all are scholarship programs.
                I do not think there is the same rule, but I doubt that the overall Purdue system will allow it. Overall, they have been consolidating and cutting a lot of the Purdue campuses outside of the flagship campus due to their focus on moving students to the new Purdue online degree system.

Comment

I just find it very interesting that a league that was formed as an NAIA conference in NCAA clothing and a soft landing spot for Ohio and Indiana NAIA members, has very few of OH NAIA converts, but has proven to destabilize long standing D2 conferences. Certainly says something about the widening disparity among D2 members (and really all NCAA members).

But from an outsider, I think this speaks volumes about GLIAC leadership.

Comment

lol. "The GLIAC is having too much success because of GV, they deserve to be destroyed" is quite the take.

What a defeatist attitude. "We can't beat this one school, they're too good, so we gotta go beat up on these other schools so they can think WE are the Grand Valley of the conference instead" lololol
                    Now you just wait there one second. unc4life had to be talking about other sports because we all know AU is 4-2 against GVSU in the last 10 years ;)

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

Concordia-Portland (GNAC, non-football) closed their campus within the past year, if I'm not mistaken. Concordia-New York (CACC, non-football) will cease operations at the end of the fall 2021 semester. I don't see any Concordia campus making any move into D2.
                      Yeah, the one thing that we should factor in here is just how many of those private schools going to stay open in the next 3-4 years as they collectively recover from Covid-19? If I had a kid who wasn't on a team just going to colllege, having them stay home and do their freshman classes online through a CC would be a pretty attractive idea. There's still going to be a lot of budget issues to get worked out here in the next couple of years, One or two of those private GMAC schools shutting down because they can't get kids on campus or didn't have a good online class system last year could happen.

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post

Yeah, the one thing that we should factor in here is just how many of those private schools going to stay open in the next 3-4 years as they collectively recover from Covid-19? If I had a kid who wasn't on a team just going to colllege, having them stay home and do their freshman classes online through a CC would be a pretty attractive idea. There's still going to be a lot of budget issues to get worked out here in the next couple of years, One or two of those private GMAC schools shutting down because they can't get kids on campus or didn't have a good online class system last year could happen.
                        I am really surprised there were not more defunct schools as result of COVID. The main one I heard of was Urbana in Ohio, which I had always pegged as an eventual GMAC member as well. That adds to my confusion about the Northwood move, with budgets getting tighter than they ever have been across all of NCAA/NAIA, why sign up to raise your travel costs significantly and assumedly pay entrance and exit fees to move to the GMAC?

Comment

I think a lot of private college benefited from PPP Loans/forgiveness. HBCUs also got a good deal of funding from the Trump administration that kept many a float (Edward Waters & Allen using that money to joint D2). Also, many private colleges stayed open and in person, NAIA even hosted all championships (except swimming), which has boasted interest and enrollment this year for many. Obviously this was dependent on state.

Comment

I have been reading some of the comments and to be honest I find some of them idiotic to say the least.

GVSU can only prop up a conference for so long? Only GVSU, Ashland and Ferris State have won national titles recently.

In regards to that comment, how many conferences have multiple schools in contention to win national titles across all sports? I can think of a lot of conferences that don't have a single program in contention to win a singe national title in any sport. The GLIAC, up until Ashland's departure, had contenders to win in multiple sports from multiple schools. Even now, GVSU is not the only program that can contend to win a title across all sports. (Also, don't forget WSU did win a national title in women's swimming within the last 10 years).

The GLIAC, simply put, is not as strong as it has been in the past, but it is not a weak conference either. I still think, head to head across all sports, top to bottom, the GLIAC would do just fine in all sports compared with all other D2 conferences. If you put the entire GLIAC in each sport against the same number of programs from each other conference, the GLIAC would fare just fine. Maybe the GLIAC would not be the top conference, but it certainly would be in the top 25%.

Also, to use recent results as an example. GLIAC Track and Field is much more than a 1 team conference. Certainly GVSU has the depth nobody else does, but other schools produced individual champions at the meet. SVSU had three, women's 4 by 400 relay, men's decathlon and women's heptathlon. Heck SVSU also had a top 5 team finish on the women's side.

The GLIAC isn't as healthy as it has been, but it isn't as bad off as people think either.

Comment

Originally posted by chapmaja View Post
                              I have been reading some of the comments and to be honest I find some of them idiotic to say the least.

GVSU can only prop up a conference for so long? Only GVSU, Ashland and Ferris State have won national titles recently.

In regards to that comment, how many conferences have multiple schools in contention to win national titles across all sports? I can think of a lot of conferences that don't have a single program in contention to win a singe national title in any sport. The GLIAC, up until Ashland's departure, had contenders to win in multiple sports from multiple schools. Even now, GVSU is not the only program that can contend to win a title across all sports. (Also, don't forget WSU did win a national title in women's swimming within the last 10 years).

The GLIAC, simply put, is not as strong as it has been in the past, but it is not a weak conference either. I still think, head to head across all sports, top to bottom, the GLIAC would do just fine in all sports compared with all other D2 conferences. If you put the entire GLIAC in each sport against the same number of programs from each other conference, the GLIAC would fare just fine. Maybe the GLIAC would not be the top conference, but it certainly would be in the top 25%.

Also, to use recent results as an example. GLIAC Track and Field is much more than a 1 team conference. Certainly GVSU has the depth nobody else does, but other schools produced individual champions at the meet. SVSU had three, women's 4 by 400 relay, men's decathlon and women's heptathlon. Heck SVSU also had a top 5 team finish on the women's side.

The GLIAC isn't as healthy as it has been, but it isn't as bad off as people think either.
                              Even as it pertains to track and field, GVSU is a bit one-dimensional. They are focused on long distance events more than anything, with a handful of field athletes sprinkled in. And I think that is the economic way to do things, because it allows for three-sport athletes. You can find kids who are amazing at cross country, indoor track, and outdoor track, if they are long distance kids. That's what GV dominates in for track and field, and then they find 1 or 2 throwers, a pole vaulter, and then a couple jumpers and sprinters to try and steal a few points here and there. But distance is where their bread is buttered, without a doubt, on both men's and women's sides. It is interesting, because Tiffin and Ashland have both done the same thing the opposite way and won national championships. Tiffin was loaded up on sprinters and some field athletes. Ashland loaded up on sprinters and mid-range runners and have always dominated throws. But no school is usually amazing at every aspect of the track and field events, you gotta kind of pick and choose what you want to focus on, and GV does what they do amazingly well. Baltes, IMO, is the best coach in any sport at any level in the entire country. I would take Baltes as a T&F coach over anyone else in any other sport. GV is fortunate that he keeps sticking around and might be a lifer.

The unfortunate thing with the GLIAC right now is that in years past, the schools that left didn't really hurt the overall performance of the conference. It wasn't a big loss to lose Walsh and Malone. It wasn't a big loss to lose Findlay. If anything, it was cutting the fat and making the conference tougher, because the fodder was leaving while the contenders were staying. But then when you have Hillsdale and Ashland both leave, that torpedoes that whole idea. If the GLIAC was just left with GV, Ashland, Ferris, Northwood, SVSU, MTU, NMU, Wayne, Hillsdale? That's a helluva conference no matter what sport. But when you take out all of Ashland, Northwood, Hillsdale, and replace them with Davenport, Purdue-Fort Wayne, and Parkside? Then things don't look too hot anymore. We'll see what happens with Davenport's progression, though. Could they be a comparable replacement for Ashland going forward across all sports? I have my doubts with them and GV being in the same area, but we'll see what happens. The GLIAC isn't in great shape, but I also don't think it's nearly as bad as people make it out to be. Losing Ashland is going to be the biggest blow, but the GLIAC issue is more a situation of just not having enough schools sponsoring each sport, more so than it is an issue with the talent level. I think as long as you have GV, Ferris, SVSU, Wayne, MTU, and NMU, you're going to have one of the highest levels of competition in the country.

Comment

Originally posted by Uindy18 View Post

I am really surprised there were not more defunct schools as result of COVID. The main one I heard of was Urbana in Ohio, which I had always pegged as an eventual GMAC member as well. That adds to my confusion about the Northwood move, with budgets getting tighter than they ever have been across all of NCAA/NAIA, why sign up to raise your travel costs significantly and assumedly pay entrance and exit fees to move to the GMAC?
                                Urbana had been a shell of a university for years, surprised they lasted as long as they did, no one was counting on them for long term stability

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X