Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northwood Exit and Expansion Discussion

I wanted to bring this aspect of the Northwood leaving discussion up in a separate port. If the GLIAC were to act quickly and add the any of the (or all) or the 4 Michigan NAIA football schools (Madonna, Lawrence Tech, Siena Heights, and Concordia-Ann Arbor), would there be any chance Northwood pulls out of their exit plan? I know this happens occasionally in college sports, but it rare. The only example I can think of off the top of my head was the old D1 Big East announcing the additions of Boise State and TCU (i think), and then the conference falls apart a year later and everyone cancels those plans. I still think this is generally not a good move for Northwood, but I wonder how committed they would be if the GLIAC made some aggressive moves to become more balanced in the private versus public school membership. Thoughts?

Originally posted by Uindy18 View Post
    I wanted to bring this aspect of the Northwood leaving discussion up in a separate port. If the GLIAC were to act quickly and add the any of the (or all) or the 4 Michigan NAIA football schools (Madonna, Lawrence Tech, Siena Heights, and Concordia-Ann Arbor), would there be any chance Northwood pulls out of their exit plan? I know this happens occasionally in college sports, but it rare. The only example I can think of off the top of my head was the old D1 Big East announcing the additions of Boise State and TCU (i think), and then the conference falls apart a year later and everyone cancels those plans. I still think this is generally not a good move for Northwood, but I wonder how committed they would be if the GLIAC made some aggressive moves to become more balanced in the private versus public school membership. Thoughts?
    Well, the GLIAC can ASK any(or all) of those schools to move up and join. Doesn't mean any of them will do it. Seriously doubt if enough of them will be interested to change Northwood's mind. It's not like the GLIAC can just ADD them.

Comment

It won't happen but the ultimate strongest move, IMO, would be to merge GLIAC and GMAC into a super conference with North and South divisions. With crossover games and 1-2 OOC, the possibility of failing to qualify for the PO would be eliminated. Since football is really the only sport facing the problem of not qualifying, it possibly could be one sport conference. Crazy but really a better option than trying to fill the schedules of GVSU and FSU with NAIA

Comment

Perhaps if GVSU and FSU both decide enough is enough with the GLIAC and move up to FCS then Northwood might feel better. My other thoughts are that all the teams get the same number of scholarships, perhaps Northwood should take a look internally and see why they cant compete. Or go running off to a smaller conference is an idea that works for some teams. Ask the GLIAC south former teams if they are better off now?

Comment

Originally posted by MrsThortonMelon View Post
          Perhaps if GVSU and FSU both decide enough is enough with the GLIAC and move up to FCS then Northwood might feel better. My other thoughts are that all the teams get the same number of scholarships, perhaps Northwood should take a look internally and see why they cant compete. Or go running off to a smaller conference is an idea that works for some teams. Ask the GLIAC south former teams if they are better off now?
          Yes, we are much happier, thank you for asking.

Comment

Originally posted by UFOILERFAN View Post

Yes, we are much happier, thank you for asking.
            Then its a win, win....nothing wrong with that. You can make the playoffs now...good for you guys!

Comment

Originally posted by UFOILERFAN View Post

Well, the GLIAC can ASK any(or all) of those schools to move up and join. Doesn't mean any of them will do it. Seriously doubt if enough of them will be interested to change Northwood's mind. It's not like the GLIAC can just ADD them.
              Well right, I am just saying if the GLIAC were able to convince them to join, would Northwood reconsider?

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

It won't happen but the ultimate strongest move, IMO, would be to merge GLIAC and GMAC into a super conference with North and South divisions. With crossover games and 1-2 OOC, the possibility of failing to qualify for the PO would be eliminated. Since football is really the only sport facing the problem of not qualifying, it possibly could be one sport conference. Crazy but really a better option than trying to fill the schedules of GVSU and FSU with NAIA
                I feel like GVSU and FSU have the budgets to still be able to fill their schedules with longer trips out to RMAC/LSC/GSC schools etc. I really feel that it will be Davenport, Saginaw, Wayne State, MTU, NMU who will face to more significant scheduling problems and probably starting scheduling the NAIAs more.

Comment

I feel like GVSU and FSU have the budgets to still be able to fill their schedules with longer trips out to RMAC/LSC/GSC schools etc. I really feel that it will be Davenport, Saginaw, Wayne State, MTU, NMU who will face to more significant scheduling problems and probably starting scheduling the NAIAs more.
                  I'm not good with rules. How does scheduling NAIA opponents affect post season eligibility ?

Comment

I'm not good with rules. How does scheduling NAIA opponents affect post season eligibility ?
                    I may be wrong, but I believe that only D2 games count towards playoff eligibility. So if you played 11 games, but 2 of them were against NAIA, the playoffs committee will look at your team as only playing 9 games. So scheduling NAIAs help you get some ticket revenue from another home game, but not if you are trying to build your playoff resume. That is why Uindy quit playing crosstown rival and NAIA powerhouse Marian (and we could not beat them). That was always my understanding of it anyway.

Comment

I may be wrong, but I believe that only D2 games count towards playoff eligibility. So if you played 11 games, but 2 of them were against NAIA, the playoffs committee will look at your team as only playing 9 games. So scheduling NAIAs help you get some ticket revenue from another home game, but not if you end are trying to build your playoff resume. That is why Uindy quit playing crosstown rival and NAIA powerhouse Marian (and we could Time will tell. not beat them). That was always my understanding of it anyway.
                      I guess the reason why I like the idea of a D2 Football GLIAC/GMAC super conference is the simplicity of it. For one sport two adjacent conferences schedule enough games that all appropriate football powers won't need to scramble to be fully eligible. All other sports continue their usual conference play. Could also point toward the end of the Super Region format and implementation of the best 28 regardless of region. With the changes happening in the PASSHE system, and likely elimination of several FB programs, the PSAC may be next looking for schedule fillers.

Comment

I guess the reason why I like the idea of a D2 Football GLIAC/GMAC super conference is the simplicity of it. For one sport two adjacent conferences schedule enough games that all appropriate football powers won't need to scramble to be fully eligible. All other sports continue their usual conference play. Could also point toward the end of the Super Region format and implementation of the best 28 regardless of region. With the changes happening in the PASSHE system, and likely elimination of several FB programs, the PSAC may be next looking for schedule fillers.
                        The future of the PSAC is also interesting with them potentially losing a couple FB schools. I do not think they will end up expanding too much outside Penn, but they may lose their two division format.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Ya, I was not sure on Saginaw or Wayne State. I feel like both of them are the borderline between FSU/GV and the rest of the conference.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X