Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

Indiana, Ball State, Notre Dame, Purdue in FBS. Indiana State in FCS. UIndy in D2 all are scholarship programs.
    UIndy18 pointed out that I was referring to within the Purdue system, not the entire state. My initial question was whether or not the Purdue main campus in West Lafayette would've even allowed PNW to sponsor D2 football, so I guess I wasn't clear with my question.
    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

UIndy18 pointed out that I was referring to within the Purdue system, not the entire state. My initial question was whether or not the Purdue main campus in West Lafayette would've even allowed PNW to sponsor D2 football, so I guess I wasn't clear with my question.
      Yeah, my best guess would be that they could if they wanted to and had the money, but they are unlikely to want to or have the funding.

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

Ah, my bad.
        2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

I think GVSU will give the GLIAC a few months to try and find a replacement for Northwood and or Ashland...once the reality of playing the same team twice and a D3 team next year sinks in you will see GVSU leave the GLIAC for the Ohio Valley Conference in football and the Horizon league for the remaning sports. In FBS GVSU has the facilites to join right now and it is very doable with really only football costing much more money...scholarships are moving internal money around but travel and staff costs would increase of course. I am open to what the other options are but dont tell me that playing GLIAC teams twice in a year is a good plan. Also D3 games? really? Yea for this year fine but this is NOT what the standard at GVSU is used to. I can see the alumni becoming very vocal with this. And quickly!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsThortonMelon View Post
            .... you will see GVSU leave the GLIAC for the Ohio Valley Conference in football and the Horizon league for the remaning sports....
            OVC has one affiliate member school, that is Chattanooga for beach volleyball, I'd predict if they go FCS, it is MVFC. Agree on Horizon for other sports.

Comment

Originally posted by D2Ohio View Post

OVC has one affiliate member school, that is Chattanooga for beach volleyball, I'd predict if they go FCS, it is MVFC. Agree on Horizon for other sports.
              True but the Ohio Valley just lost some members and I think GVSU would be a nice addition...if indeed thats the way they go...at this point who knows...going to be an interesting few months ahead I bet...just glad to be able to go back to Lubbers and fill the joint up!!

Comment

Originally posted by D2Ohio View Post

I have no idea, but MV is one tough conference. Its members seem a lot further away. Educate me.. how does OVC having one affiliate member impact MV being a more likely option for GV to go?

Comment

Originally posted by MrsThortonMelon View Post
                  I think GVSU will give the GLIAC a few months to try and find a replacement for Northwood and or Ashland...once the reality of playing the same team twice and a D3 team next year sinks in you will see GVSU leave the GLIAC for the Ohio Valley Conference in football and the Horizon league for the remaning sports. In FBS GVSU has the facilites to join right now and it is very doable with really only football costing much more money...scholarships are moving internal money around but travel and staff costs would increase of course. I am open to what the other options are but dont tell me that playing GLIAC teams twice in a year is a good plan. Also D3 games? really? Yea for this year fine but this is NOT what the standard at GVSU is used to. I can see the alumni becoming very vocal with this. And quickly!
                  The D3 opponent is strictly because of a late decision to leave from Findlay, if I'm not mistaken. I doubt that will become the norm. And I don't think we'll (usually) see GLIAC teams playing each other twice. The GNAC does it because they are out on an island in terms of surrounding D2 institutions to play against. There's plenty of other D2 schools for the GLIAC to play in out-of-conference games nearby.

Comment

The D3 opponent is strictly because of a late decision to leave from Findlay, if I'm not mistaken. I doubt that will become the norm. And I don't think we'll (usually) see GLIAC teams playing each other twice. The GNAC does it because they are out on an island in terms of surrounding D2 institutions to play against. There's plenty of other D2 schools for the GLIAC to play in out-of-conference games nearby.
                    Ashland leaving caused the hole...and next year its Northwood...if you have a list of teams that want to play GVSU nearby please forward same to Doug Lapinski as I am sure he would love the help. It's not plug and play. Most over conferences are all set...NOT the GLIAC which is why I can see the move up...not saying its the only plan but I am open to suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by champgymusa View Post

Ashland leaving caused the hole...and next year its Northwood...if you have a list of teams that want to play GVSU nearby please forward same to Doug Lapinski as I am sure he would love the help. It's not plug and play. Most over conferences are all set...NOT the GLIAC which is why I can see the move up...not saying its the only plan but I am open to suggestions?
                      There's plenty of schools elsewhere constantly looking for dates. Whether they are down south, whether they are in New England (which, admittedly, is harder, because they're all packed in there so they have plenty of options), or even the HBCU's.

I don't know. I'd just prefer to do anything and everything possible to remain in D-II. I don't know why many people (not saying you, just in general) are constantly clamoring for GV to go D1 and just be a minnow in a pond of sharks, while getting destroyed financially. FCS, IMO, is the worst level to be at, because your most important sport, football, is spending more money to play against schools that nobody has any familiarity with, while the rest of your sports are forced to go up against the kings of the D1 level and will never compete for a title again. You can throw out any and all hope of any national titles ever being won by any sports besides maybe cross country, and football at the FCS level. Can football winning FCS titles pull in enough recognition and money to make it worth it? I don't know. Everything else will just be competing for mid-major conference championships where you then get destroyed in the national tournament by schools with infinitely more resources. That's why I always have, and always will, hate the entire idea of being D1 at all.

Comment

There's plenty of schools elsewhere constantly looking for dates. Whether they are down south, whether they are in New England (which, admittedly, is harder, because they're all packed in there so they have plenty of options), or even the HBCU's.

I don't know. I'd just prefer to do anything and everything possible to remain in D-II. I don't know why many people (not saying you, just in general) are constantly clamoring for GV to go D1 and just be a minnow in a pond of sharks, while getting destroyed financially. FCS, IMO, is the worst level to be at, because your most important sport, football, is spending more money to play against schools that nobody has any familiarity with, while the rest of your sports are forced to go up against the kings of the D1 level and will never compete for a title again. You can throw out any and all hope of any national titles ever being won by any sports besides maybe cross country, and football at the FCS level. Can football winning FCS titles pull in enough recognition and money to make it worth it? I don't know. Everything else will just be competing for mid-major conference championships where you then get destroyed in the national tournament by schools with infinitely more resources. That's why I always have, and always will, hate the entire idea of being D1 at all.
                        yea we can travel a long ways to get some games but thats pricey for sure and then do they want to play us at home? Not nearby teams is the issue...if it was the GMAC or GLVC sure...lets go...but west coast? deep south? East coast? Those are all plane rides...$$$$$$ but so it moving up...who knows...that the problem for the folks that get paid to figure it out not the fans on a message board...FCS football is no joke either...they have some great teams in that deal...NDSU will be back as always...I guess we will see but for now its kind of fun to look forward and see what shakes out.

Comment

Originally posted by champgymusa View Post

yea we can travel a long ways to get some games but thats pricey for sure and then do they want to play us at home? Not nearby teams is the issue...if it was the GMAC or GLVC sure...lets go...but west coast? deep south? East coast? Those are all plane rides...$$$$$$ but so it moving up...who knows...that the problem for the folks that get paid to figure it out not the fans on a message board...FCS football is no joke either...they have some great teams in that deal...NDSU will be back as always...I guess we will see but for now its kind of fun to look forward and see what shakes out.
                          I have no doubt football would be just fine playing FCS football if it comes to that. My worry is every other sport becoming irrelevant.

Football would perform just fine in FCS. But are GR people going to care about GV playing against Eastern Illinois and Illinois State and Butler? About the only time anyone would care about their games anymore would be playoff games against our former D-II rivals like NDSU and UND, I think. There'd be zero rivalries anymore, and no opponents that the layman fan would have ever heard of. But they would perform just fine. Just all the other sports, I would feel awful about.

Comment

I have no doubt football would be just fine playing FCS football if it comes to that. My worry is every other sport becoming irrelevant.

Football would perform just fine in FCS. But are GR people going to care about GV playing against Eastern Illinois and Illinois State and Butler? About the only time anyone would care about their games anymore would be playoff games against our former D-II rivals like NDSU and UND, I think. There'd be zero rivalries anymore, and no opponents that the layman fan would have ever heard of. But they would perform just fine. Just all the other sports, I would feel awful about.
                            I see your point and agree with a lot of it. Still D1 is a viable divisions(FCS, etc.) Look at all the non big 5 conferences out there. Part of me believes that they can't be justified, but there is little if any discussion for those schools to move down. I've been a "move up" doubter all along, but I'm clearly now on the fence. What is tough is that the opportunity to play post season, let alone win a natty, becomes markedly reduced for most of the sports at GV. Still, that scenario is played at, say, the MAC schools, and they recruit better athletes than what GV gets. Based upon that, one might suggest Conference championships do the job?

And some D2's that moved up to FCS have found success. But, I can't argue that I think it has been limited to football.. with some, some success in basketball?

Bigger players than us will determine the future, but man, I'm truly torn as what is GV's best fit.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwing View Post

I see your point and agree with a lot of it. Still D1 is a viable divisions(FCS, etc.) Look at all the non big 5 conferences out there. Part of me believes that they can't be justified, but there is little if any discussion for those schools to move down. I've been a "move up" doubter all along, but I'm clearly now on the fence. What is tough is that the opportunity to play post season, let alone win a natty, becomes markedly reduced for most of the sports at GV. Still, that scenario is played at, say, the MAC schools, and they recruit better athletes than what GV gets. Based upon that, one might suggest Conference championships do the job?

And some D2's that moved up to FCS have found success. But, I can't argue that I think it has been limited to football.. with some, some success in basketball?

Bigger players than us will determine the future, but man, I'm truly torn as what is GV's best fit.
                              Does Eastern Michigan being a middle-of-the-road MAC school get any more good press than GV winning national championships, though? Yea, they get better athletes, just because that's the nature of the beast, but the results aren't there as a result. GV is the Michigan/USC/Texas/Stanford of D-II right now, when it comes to department-wide success. Are we better off being that? Or better off going to FCS/D1 and hoping to be....Eastern Michigan?

As you noted, my issue is that, as you said with basketball, the extent of "success" for the D2's who have moved up to FCS in basketball has been one first-round March Madness upset. That's hardly a blip on the radar. I'd rather be competing for the Final Four in D-II basketball than the ceiling being a first-round upset in March Madness.

Comment

Can't agree more with Kle that moving to D1 and incurring that expense seems like a lousy exchange: We would have to HOPE to be nationally relevant in football within a few years; we would have to accept that we'll be little more than fodder for the blue bloods in everything else; we would have to lay out significantly more money in order to make it happen.

Now, given the overall lack of health of the GLIAC I can understand GV wanting to have an "action-oriented" mentality. No sense in having another shoe drop and we really get stuck in an even tougher spot than we already are. And, I do understand that we don't exactly "look like" a lot of the rest of D2 any longer. All of that said, this sure seems like a move whose payoff is severely limited...if there even is one. If someone can explain what exactly it is we would get by moving up that I am missing, I'm all ears...

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X