Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by UFOILERFAN View Post
    IF that would happen, where would the Lakers other sports go?
    Horizon League?

Comment

• Originally posted by UFOILERFAN View Post
      IF that would happen, where would the Lakers other sports go?
      Probably Horizon League. They're right in the middle of that footprint. Plus a lot of schools that GV fans would be familiar with.
      2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

• Originally posted by Inkblot View Post

Horizon League?
        The online site for the Horizon League shows no football playing schools. What am I missing.

Comment

• FWIW, while the tweet from the recruit saying he's verbally committing to GV is there, the related "interview" from the Rival's contributor where it says GV is going the OVC is not, and that's the only link from this contributor that is broken, all his other stories about commits are still valid.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thelakerman View Post

The online site for the Horizon League shows no football playing schools. What am I missing.
            They're saying that GV would only play football in the OVC, and every other sport would be in the Horizon.
            2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

• A little more on the OVC; about a week ago they announced a scheduling alliance with the Southland Conf. which is basically LA and TX schools, including A&M-Commerce. Also, a few weeks ago when Belmont announced they were leaving - a non FB playing member but the 4th school to announce they were leaving - coverage indicated they were looking at schools in KY and TN primarily, along with a few D2 schools, but not going further north than Northern KY.

Comment

• I warned y'all

Comment

• Back a few pages there was some suggestion that the Power 5 might just tell the NCAA to take a hike and then we get a massive shift among the rest; well, if you didn't see it, yesterday Bob Huggins (coach at West VA) proposed that for NCAA hoops, specifically setting up their own tourney because it made no sense to share the cash with these other conferences.

Comment

• Hard to believe that anyone would leave the GLIAC given the outstanding history and leadership that the conference has shown over the years....but times change and who knows whats going to happen next. I think any school has to keep their eyes open to protect their atheltes and give them the best chance to excel. Personally I think GVSU has the leadership to move and do a great job very quickly. I dont know about other schools in the GLIAC. Perhaps the GLVC might consider some expansion? At this point I guess we will know soon enough.

Comment

• I think we've pretty comprehensively discussed Northwood leaving, what are some of the options for expansion?

Comment

• Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

Probably Horizon League. They're right in the middle of that footprint. Plus a lot of schools that GV fans would be familiar with.
                        Horizon league would about trip over themselves processing our application. Having us in the league gives them the option of using the Van Andel for their tournaments and such. Plus we're pretty good academically as well. Having us in would likely just help to cement their core schools in more. Might even give some of their schools the idea of starting up a FBS program as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Inkblot View Post
                          I wonder what he means by "other external things to happen."

Comment

• Originally posted by BeachinLaker View Post

I wonder what he means by "other external things to happen."
                            They're probably waiting until the results of FBS realignment are clearer. If the right FCS teams move up they might take the chance while it's available in 2022 or 2023.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mk63NuclearBomb View Post
                              I think we've pretty comprehensively discussed Northwood leaving, what are some of the options for expansion?
                              While the ideal thing is to have enough teams in conference to furnish enough games to qualify for the playoffs, if you're short a game or two the thing that would be most helpful would be for the conference to negotiate the most feasible scheduling arrangement they can with another conference. That way teams don't have to go looking for games. In terms of expansion, calls can be made to NAIA & D3 schools to inform them that the GLIAC would welcome them if they were minded to transition.

BTW, teams that fear that two PO spots are taken before the season even starts may be convinced that a loss to those two teams and even a third loss could qualify a team because they would have a higher SOS than other 2 or 3 loss teams in the region. In addition, teams that want to get better would benefit from tough competition as the GLIAC is top three in football. They are also [probably] No.1 across all sports.

Comment

• Originally posted by boyblue View Post

While the ideal thing is to have enough teams in conference to furnish enough games to qualify for the playoffs, if you're short a game or two the thing that would be most helpful would be for the conference to negotiate the most feasible scheduling arrangement they can with another conference. That way teams don't have to go looking for games. In terms of expansion, calls can be made to NAIA & D3 schools to inform them that the GLIAC would welcome them if they were minded to transition.

BTW, teams that fear that two PO spots are taken before the season even starts may be convinced that a loss to those two teams and even a third loss could qualify a team because they would have a higher SOS than other 2 or 3 loss teams in the region. In addition, teams that want to get better would benefit from tough competition as the GLIAC is top three in football. They are also [probably] No.1 across all sports.
                                I believe SVSU is going to test this theory this year. With our loses coming to Ferris State, GVSU, and Bowie St and a nice non conference win at Texas A&M Commerce. SVSU will be favored in the rest of their games and should finish 8-3. Seems like a merger with either the GLVC or the GMAC makes since for the GLIAC. If teams like Concordia of Ann Arbor or Lawrence Tech don't want to make the jump to DII then expansion would be tough. I believe travel costs become a real problem for the GLIAC as no other conferences want to pay for them trips to the U.P. for all their sports. Poor GLIAC finds themselves in a tough spot after not becoming proactive as teams began to leave years ago.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X