Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FSUBulldog27 View Post
    So some work would be needed for the Football facilities - Pioneer, Missouri VAlley or Ohio Valley...with teams leaving the GLIAC ..not sure where we would end up.
    Pioneer is non-schollie, so I can't imagine GV or anyone else in the GLIAC moving to D1 to play non-schollie football.

Originally posted by gvsufan_in_nash View Post
    I don't think that solves the UP travel problem. It's hard to untangle it all, but not all the conference switching is about smaller privates competing with larger publics. Back when the MN schools were juggling around their conferences the UP schools should have looked more closely at the geography to see if they'd have fit better there; I firmly believe Hillsdale doesn't leave the conference without that travel, and probably a few others.
    The UP travel problem was absolutely a part of things, but from what I understand it wasn't significant in the way some would suggest. My understanding might be inaccurate, but either way the UP schools are a bit isolated. The problem for them is that if you really look at the geography the NSIC doesn't offer them a better situation. One could argue it's actually worse. They have to cross all of Wisconsin to get to any opponent. And, they would have to play schools in Nebraska, The Dakotas, etc. The number of 10+ hour trips would actually increase in that league vs. what they traditionally/currently have in the GLIAC.

Davis jumped to, and still is FCS. However, your point about jumping right to FBS has some validity. To be honest, the only option that truly makes sense is to find a way to jump to the Power 5. That's where all of the true revenue generation happens (translation: TV). Everyone else is just cannon fodder. Ever heard of a MAC school winning an NCAA title? Exactly. GV is used to being nationally relevant, particularly in the Olympic sports. If they move to FCS, the football program has a chance for that relevance in time. All of the other sports are competing for conference titles and that's it.

Think about it rationally: NDSU is the power of powers in FCS football. The rest of their sports do nothing on a national level. How can they? For GV, they're used to having national relevance in Cross, Track, Soccer, etc. How is the soccer team going to compete with the current D1 Top Five of Virginia, Duke, Florida State, Arkansas, UCLA? It's an unrealistic ask.

I get wanting to be aggressive and control one's own destiny, but I'd rather see how the NCAA navigates the next few years of NIL, a potential P5 split, etc. The MVC is actually a decent fit for GV geographically in their Olympic sports. It has a LOT of associate members for football, and there are already 11 of them so I'm not sure what they gain from adding GV. Plus, the football trips (as L-Man mentioned) are all massive...including a lot of stuff in the Dakotas. How Youngstown makes the $ work for their football membership in that league is beyond me. The OVC is probably desperate to have GV, as they are losing members as fast as the GLIAC is. I would wonder why GV would want to jump from one perceived sinking ship to another? Further, their footprint is less attractive to GV, AND their football roster is down to seven teams...GV making eight still leaves a LOT of games to find every year. I supposed that's "easier" in D1, but the challenge doesn't resolve itself simply by leaving the GLIAC.

Again, I get the rationale of wanting to be proactive. But the level of uncertainty we see now in the college sports landscape is unprecedented. Seems like patience would be as advantageous for GV as being overly aggressive about where they take their athletics...

Comment

• Originally posted by Tony Nicolette View Post

Pioneer is non-schollie, so I can't imagine GV or anyone else in the GLIAC moving to D1 to play non-schollie football.

The UP travel problem was absolutely a part of things, but from what I understand it wasn't significant in the way some would suggest. My understanding might be inaccurate, but either way the UP schools are a bit isolated. The problem for them is that if you really look at the geography the NSIC doesn't offer them a better situation. One could argue it's actually worse. They have to cross all of Wisconsin to get to any opponent. And, they would have to play schools in Nebraska, The Dakotas, etc. The number of 10+ hour trips would actually increase in that league vs. what they traditionally/currently have in the GLIAC.

Davis jumped to, and still is FCS. However, your point about jumping right to FBS has some validity. To be honest, the only option that truly makes sense is to find a way to jump to the Power 5. That's where all of the true revenue generation happens (translation: TV). Everyone else is just cannon fodder. Ever heard of a MAC school winning an NCAA title? Exactly. GV is used to being nationally relevant, particularly in the Olympic sports. If they move to FCS, the football program has a chance for that relevance in time. All of the other sports are competing for conference titles and that's it.

Think about it rationally: NDSU is the power of powers in FCS football. The rest of their sports do nothing on a national level. How can they? For GV, they're used to having national relevance in Cross, Track, Soccer, etc. How is the soccer team going to compete with the current D1 Top Five of Virginia, Duke, Florida State, Arkansas, UCLA? It's an unrealistic ask.

I get wanting to be aggressive and control one's own destiny, but I'd rather see how the NCAA navigates the next few years of NIL, a potential P5 split, etc. The MVC is actually a decent fit for GV geographically in their Olympic sports. It has a LOT of associate members for football, and there are already 11 of them so I'm not sure what they gain from adding GV. Plus, the football trips (as L-Man mentioned) are all massive...including a lot of stuff in the Dakotas. How Youngstown makes the $ work for their football membership in that league is beyond me. The OVC is probably desperate to have GV, as they are losing members as fast as the GLIAC is. I would wonder why GV would want to jump from one perceived sinking ship to another? Further, their footprint is less attractive to GV, AND their football roster is down to seven teams...GV making eight still leaves a LOT of games to find every year. I supposed that's "easier" in D1, but the challenge doesn't resolve itself simply by leaving the GLIAC.

Again, I get the rationale of wanting to be proactive. But the level of uncertainty we see now in the college sports landscape is unprecedented. Seems like patience would be as advantageous for GV as being overly aggressive about where they take their athletics...
      I think GV would be competitive in cross country from day one. Northern Arizona is the current cross country dynasty in D1 for men, and New Mexico is the most consistent program for the women. But besides that, you are correct. There'd be no national championships ever again for GV in any sport besides Cross Country and maybe FCS football.
      2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

• Originally posted by Tony Nicolette View Post
        I just want to say that NDSU is pretty damn good at throws in T&F, but other that that you're absolutely right.

Comment

• Originally posted by KleShreen View Post
          I think GV would be competitive in cross country from day one. Northern Arizona is the current cross country dynasty in D1 for men, and New Mexico is the most consistent program for the women. But besides that, you are correct. There'd be no national championships ever again for GV in any sport besides Cross Country and maybe FCS football.
          Originally posted by MK63NuclearBomb View Post
          I just want to say that NDSU is pretty damn good at throws in T&F, but other that that you're absolutely right.
          Oh, I'm sure you guys are right about the premise that there will be pockets of success if GV moves up. I won't argue that. I'm sure both of you understand and agree from there, that the larger point is that one of the things that Selgo and Lubbers figured out 30 years ago was that winning athletics in the collegiate landscape is a key factor in marketing your school and in developing a brand. Notre Dame, Ohio State, Alabama, Michigan, Duke and the like have figure that out, and GV has been able to model that masterfully within the D2 structure. The component that winning represents in that branding is not only risked, but arguably disposed of by moving to D1 in the current NCAA landscape/construct.

I have been blessed to travel the country over the years, and it is unbelievable how many people have heard of GV. I'll talk with some of them, and when conversations turn to some FCS or G5 schools it is uncanny how many of them people have never heard of. It almost seems odd that GV is on the cusp of walking into that type of arena, and away from the one they have created for themselves. I don't know everything, and it may work out wonderfully, but it sure feels like trying to plant a forest in a desert instead of in an area with rivers and plenty of rainfall...you can try it and it may work, but you're purposely choosing to have it be way harder than it has to be, and are doing so while ignoring all of the facts that indicate it isn't your best course of action. There could be plenty involved in this decision that I'm simply not privy to, but the face value of what I can see sure makes me wonder about it...

Comment

• D2 schools are allowed to go straight to FBS (with the usual four-year ineligibility period). Tarleton State is in the second year of the reclassifying period, and if they could get an invitation from Conference USA, they'd probably take it.

Comment

• I really hope Grand Valley stays d2 for the foreseeable future.

Comment

• Originally posted by yote_7 View Post
                I really hope Grand Valley stays d2 for the foreseeable future.
                After today's craptacular display, everyone should. You guys can all keep talking about moving up and all that junk Based on what I saw today we'll just pay a bunch of money to get the tar beaten out of us. We have a team this year that should be good enough to do damage in the playoffs and instead we're basically letting some correctable mistakes against our rival turn us into a team that simply doesn't have any fire in its belly. I'm not trying to disparage Tech, but we went up there while we were trying to figure a lot of things out and still hung 40+. We moved the ball well enough today (particularly in the first half) to have this game put away and didn't do it. ZERO POINTS in the 2nd half? Seriously? What a $h!+show. The last two weeks make it obvious to me we won't be able to do anything in playoffs. If we can even get in. One-win Wayne will find a way to play their tails off against us next week. I'm scared to death we won't be ready for it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irishlaker View Post

After today's craptacular display, everyone should. You guys can all keep talking about moving up and all that junk Based on what I saw today we'll just pay a bunch of money to get the tar beaten out of us. We have a team this year that should be good enough to do damage in the playoffs and instead we're basically letting some correctable mistakes against our rival turn us into a team that simply doesn't have any fire in its belly. I'm not trying to disparage Tech, but we went up there while we were trying to figure a lot of things out and still hung 40+. We moved the ball well enough today (particularly in the first half) to have this game put away and didn't do it. ZERO POINTS in the 2nd half? Seriously? What a $h!+show. The last two weeks make it obvious to me we won't be able to do anything in playoffs. If we can even get in. One-win Wayne will find a way to play their tails off against us next week. I'm scared to death we won't be ready for it.
                  $hitshow is spot on. The GV team I watched today is way overrated. I don't know if I'd even rank them in the top 20. That's two weeks in a row against less than stellar competition and the Lakers barely escape with a win. Defense was ok today except for a couple stupid penalties, but the offense was inept, Unless things change quickly, they will get blown out in the first playoff round if they even make it that far.

Comment

• Originally posted by 4nick8 View Post

$hitshow is spot on. The GV team I watched today is way overrated. I don't know if I'd even rank them in the top 20. That's two weeks in a row against less than stellar competition and the Lakers barely escape with a win. Defense was ok today except for a couple stupid penalties, but the offense was inept, Unless things change quickly, they will get blown out in the first playoff round if they even make it that far.
                    Seems like over the last few years, after they lose to Ferris these guys check out for the rest of the season. I don't get it. They're still in position to make a playoff run and have at least 1 home game. Is it the coaches? Is it mental? Did the play calling change? Besides Ferris, all the top tier teams in the region have 1 one loss. At least theirs was to a higher ranked opponent. Maybe get some younger guys in there who got a fire under their a$$ and let them play.

Comment

• Originally posted by DawgUp View Post

Seems like over the last few years, after they lose to Ferris these guys check out for the rest of the season. I don't get it. They're still in position to make a playoff run and have at least 1 home game. Is it the coaches? Is it mental? Did the play calling change? Besides Ferris, all the top tier teams in the region have 1 one loss. At least theirs was to a higher ranked opponent. Maybe get some younger guys in there who got a fire under their a$$ and let them play.
                      Uh, they are already young, so next step is freshman. But it is a bit of a mystery. Especially, since THIS game started well for GV. Well, kind of. First drive, Tech stopped GV on a 3rd and 1, then next play, they stopped em on a 4th and 1. 2 running plays that were more or less up the middle. But next drive was chunk, chunk chunk., with a TD. Then the center went out. Defense was solid for the game. Not sure what turned things around for MTU to control GV's O. Though, a couple of players got hurt, something just wasn't clicking.

Again, for the most part, defense played pretty much lights out, cept for maybe one late drive.

Let's see what Wayne brings next week.

Comment

• Mitchell should be shown the door if WSU keeps it closer than 3 touchdowns IMO. You guys basically have their playbook!

Comment

Comment

• We would be better off if the NCAA came down on some of the MAC schools who have never come close to meeting D1-A FBS standards and bump a few of the MAC schools down to D1-AA FCS division. We could have a pretty decent league with say EMU, Central, Toledo, Ball State, GVSU, Wayne State. Might even convince some of the Horizon league schools to join a conference like that.

Comment

Yeah, they didn't get up to play Tech at all. Let them hang around too long and it was rather uncomfortable. We should have been about to cruise to a 30 point lead and then spend a lot of time letting the second string guys get some game reps in.

Comment

• Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X