Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GV Retired Bum View Post

Hearing the Horizon rejected GV. I want to be very clear... Dont take my word on it lol Just what im hearing
    Not sure why the Horizon wouldn't want GV. Unless it is a matter of Detroit and Oakland being scared of GV, or maybe the entire conference being scared of GV coming and taking it over. But GV would be directly in the middle of the footprint, and very comparable to every other school, including battling with NKU in virtually every sport before NKU moved up.
    2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

• Originally posted by MrsThortonMelon View Post

GVSU will join the MAC in two years...dont take my word for it but thats what I am hearing.
      LOL I wish.

Comment

• Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

Not sure why the Horizon wouldn't want GV. Unless it is a matter of Detroit and Oakland being scared of GV, or maybe the entire conference being scared of GV coming and taking it over. But GV would be directly in the middle of the footprint, and very comparable to every other school, including battling with NKU in virtually every sport before NKU moved up.
        It all comes down to recruiting and the power of a D1 offer. As long as GV is in D2, those schools have a leg-up on us for those borderline athletes. A D1 GVSU would be immediately attractive and likely become a destination for those guys and girls when compared to the rest of the conference.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrsThortonMelon View Post

GVSU will join the MAC in two years...dont take my word for it but thats what I am hearing.
          GVSU joining an FCS level MAC would be a good fit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brandon View Post

So who is that? The MAC is FBS... or is that your point?

Comment

• Originally posted by Brandon View Post

That would mean the MAC is moving down to FCS, then, because I believe there's by-laws that don't allow for a school to skip from D-II to FBS in football.

Comment

• Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

That would mean the MAC is moving down to FCS, then, because I believe there's by-laws that don't allow for a school to skip from D-II to FBS in football.
                Hmm, I didn't think that's the case.. though with all the changes it might be these days, who knows what the NCAA rules are. It's more about number of sports and just getting that invite. I'll defer as I don't want to get my hopes up. And the biggest hurdle for most would be that football attendance requirement.... not saying the MAC schools legitimately meet it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Redwing View Post

Hmm, I didn't think that's the case.. though with all the changes it might be these days, who knows what the NCAA rules are. It's more about number of sports and just getting that invite. I'll defer as I don't want to get my hopes up. And the biggest hurdle for most would be that football attendance requirement.... not saying the MAC schools legitimately meet it.
                  There's just never been a school that went from D-II to FBS without first stopping in FCS/I-AA first, which is why I'm led to believe it isn't possible. I'm not 100% certain, though.

As you point out, the attendance requirement, no matter how loosely it is applied, would be the biggest hurdle, even for GV. It would be impossible to move to FBS MAC in two years because it would require a substantial expansion of Lubbers Stadium to even get it to 15k capacity, and it would be more than a two-year long project, I would assume. Who knows. However, I would say that I'd be more on board with a D1 move if they just skipped the FCS football part and went right to FBS and a more prestigious conference like the MAC, rather than middling around in a non-football conference for most sports and an FCS football team.

Comment

• Guess we gotta post about something

I'm sure GV could easily expand Lubbers to +15k in one season. Look how quick the student end expanded. Still, I would think they'd want +20k initially. I thought there were longer term plans to do that at one time. Not sure how to get there with the changes that occurred in the North end zone. Still, there's plenty of relatively easy expansion options available. West side for sure.

Probably planting the wrong seed..but with little news about the players, it's better than nothing to post about.

Comment

Guess we gotta post about something

I'm sure GV could easily expand Lubbers to +15k in one season. Look how quick the student end expanded. Still, I would think they'd want +20k initially. I thought there were longer term plans to do that at one time. Not sure how to get there with the changes that occurred in the North end zone. Still, there's plenty of relatively easy expansion options available. West side for sure.

Probably planting the wrong seed..but with little news about the players, it's better than nothing to post about.
                      Even that expansion to the south end only added about 1600 seats to the capacity, though. We'd be talking about doubling capacity, which currently stands at 8,550 if memory serves correctly. Absolutely they could build up the east side. I don't think there's much that can be done on the west side though since there's a cliff there going down to the Meadows. I don't know if you could really even do anything on that side.

Guess we'll see, though. I would think there has to be information in the next year, though, if the whole "coaches told recruits they'd be playing OVC football in 2023" turns out to be correct.

Comment

• Uh, current is over 10k. And here's the current write up. I thought you worked in stats there? Isn't that a stat? ;-) And yeah, I meant the EAST side...SMH.

https://gvsulakers.com/sports/2014/6...s_stadium.aspx
                        Last edited by Redwing; 05-30-2022, 09:12 PM.

Comment

Uh, current is over 10k. And here's the current write up. I thought you worked in stats there? Isn't that a stat? ;-) And yeah, I meant the EAST side...SMH.

https://gvsulakers.com/sports/2014/6...s_stadium.aspx
                          Oh, yea, just had my starting point off. Capacity went from 8,550 to 10,444, for some reason I was thinking it went 6,500 to 8,550. It does mention future permanent seating of 20,000. I just think to accomplish anything close to 15k would involve a large renovation. But who knows! We'll see!

Comment

• Kind of crazy that there has been no GVSU word yet. Years and years of speculation, telling recruits last year that they are going D1, recent Horizon and OVC rumors, watching USI, Lindenwood and Queens all declare D1. Just seems odd to have so much speculation surrounding the school, but no official word.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stea1th View Post
                              Kind of crazy that there has been no GVSU word yet. Years and years of speculation, telling recruits last year that they are going D1, recent Horizon and OVC rumors, watching USI, Lindenwood and Queens all declare D1. Just seems odd to have so much speculation surrounding the school, but no official word.
                              Recruits were told that we COULD or MIGHT be going D1 and to be prepared for that as a possible outcome...not that we absolutely were.

My hunch is that the silence is the word for now. I'm good with that...going to OVC would have been going from one tough situation to one that is arguably worse...why spend the $ to be D1 for that?

Comment

• Originally posted by Irishlaker View Post

Recruits were told that we COULD or MIGHT be going D1 and to be prepared for that as a possible outcome...not that we absolutely were.

My hunch is that the silence is the word for now. I'm good with that...going to OVC would have been going from one tough situation to one that is arguably worse...why spend the $ to be D1 for that?
                                The insanity is that we are all focused on the reporting of the student run rag. LOL.. will GVSU move up...yea I think when the GLIAC inplodes or before GVSU will be in good shape ready to make a move...is that this year or next or? Worse things can happen by rushing into something even worse so I think GVSU is just taking a smart approach. As for stadium we had 17,000 in there a few times...its doable. Bleacher the north end zone grass area and contect the ends on the south and you are close...hell EMU and many of the MACs are lucky to get 10k in for a game...GVSU would be fine. The better question is what happens to the GLIAC if and when GVSU pulls up the anchor. Anchor up will be interesting.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X