Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by champgymusa View Post

The insanity is that we are all focused on the reporting of the student run rag. LOL.. will GVSU move up...yea I think when the GLIAC inplodes or before GVSU will be in good shape ready to make a move...is that this year or next or? Worse things can happen by rushing into something even worse so I think GVSU is just taking a smart approach. As for stadium we had 17,000 in there a few times...its doable. Bleacher the north end zone grass area and contect the ends on the south and you are close...hell EMU and many of the MACs are lucky to get 10k in for a game...GVSU would be fine. The better question is what happens to the GLIAC if and when GVSU pulls up the anchor. Anchor up will be interesting.
    The quote initially came from a QB commit to a recruiting analyst. I think it was the specificity of it that really got things rolling...You typically don't tell a recruit you're joining a specific conference at a higher level on a certain year as a recruiting tactic. I would think if it's still up in the air that you'd say we have plans of moving up to FCS at some point in your tenure at GVSU.

Now, it's entirely possible that when they were told that, that was indeed the plan. There are always external circumstances that could change that, though. So maybe it's no longer the plan. Maybe it is. Something tells me they're waiting for something else to fall into place. What that is, though, is unknown.

Comment

The insanity is that we are all focused on the reporting of the student run rag. LOL.. will GVSU move up...yea I think when the GLIAC inplodes or before GVSU will be in good shape ready to make a move...is that this year or next or? Worse things can happen by rushing into something even worse so I think GVSU is just taking a smart approach. As for stadium we had 17,000 in there a few times...its doable. Bleacher the north end zone grass area and contect the ends on the south and you are close...hell EMU and many of the MACs are lucky to get 10k in for a game...GVSU would be fine. The better question is what happens to the GLIAC if and when GVSU pulls up the anchor. Anchor up will be interesting.
      I'm not sure why you feel the need to denigrate college students starting their careers in journalism, first of all. Second of all, the original comment had nothing to do with the "student run rag." It was a quote from a now-current GVSU football player to a recruiting website.
      2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

• Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

I'm not sure why you feel the need to denigrate college students starting their careers in journalism, first of all. Second of all, the original comment had nothing to do with the "student run rag." It was a quote from a now-current GVSU football player to a recruiting website.
        My point isn't to knock the paper or the writer....my point is how much we take for fact what a recruit said to a writer or a football beat piece. This isnt the Atlantic or SI for Petes sake. Its just how much we all do not really know anything about GVSU moving up or staying or anything else. When the AD says we are moving thats when I will start to pay attention. In the meantime anyone have any thoughts about the new transfers coming in?

Comment

• I assume a move to FCS (or FBS) would necessitate an upgrade to the basketball facilities too?

Comment

• Originally posted by tip79 View Post
            I assume a move to FCS (or FBS) would necessitate an upgrade to the basketball facilities too?
            It wouldn't be a requirement, but it would definitely help with recruiting.

Comment

• Originally posted by tip79 View Post
              I assume a move to FCS (or FBS) would necessitate an upgrade to the basketball facilities too?
              I kinda wonder if the wrestling expansion might come with basketball arena upgrades at the same time.

Comment

I kinda wonder if the wrestling expansion might come with basketball arena upgrades at the same time.
                The prints dont look like its gonna change the Basketball arena much if any...look on the website...interesting set up.

Comment

The prints dont look like its gonna change the Basketball arena much if any...look on the website...interesting set up.
                  Yea, I saw the blueprints and whatnot. Just wondering if they might decide to do something while they already have the equipment there, haha. Obviously that northwest side of the arena is going to have *some* kind of changes done to it already because it's going to share that wall with the wrestling area. Maybe they can accidentally knock down a couple other walls and accidentally rip out some wooden bleachers while they're at it lol.

Comment

• D1 or not the university needs a new basketball arena.

Comment

Really not a big deal. Villanova plays most of their home games in 6500 seat Finneran Pavilion with several highlight (TV) stops at 19,500 seat Wells Fargo Center which is about 20 miles from the Main Line campus. The GVSU Arena seats 4200 and the campus is about 14 miles from the Van Andel Arena in Grand Rapids which seats 10,000+ so pretty much a comparable situation.

Comment

• Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

Really not a big deal. Villanova plays most of their home games in 6500 seat Finneran Pavilion with several highlight (TV) stops at 19,500 seat Wells Fargo Center which is about 20 miles from the Main Line campus. The GVSU Arena seats 4200 and the campus is about 14 miles from the Van Andel Arena in Grand Rapids which seats 10,000+ so pretty much a comparable situation.
                        The capacity isn't the issue with the GVSU Arena.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrsThortonMelon View Post

GVSU will join the MAC in two years...dont take my word for it but thats what I am hearing.
                          Nice haha

Comment

The capacity isn't the issue with the GVSU Arena.
                            There are a TON of high school-level basketball arenas in D1, particularly in the northeast. Whether or not those teams deserve to be in D1... that's another story. But a basketball arena upgrade isn't necessarily a requirement to move up as long as it meets a very basic standard.

Comment

• Originally posted by EastStroud13 View Post

There are a TON of high school-level basketball arenas in D1, particularly in the northeast. Whether or not those teams deserve to be in D1... that's another story. But a basketball arena upgrade isn't necessarily a requirement to move up as long as it meets a very basic standard.
                              There's zero point in moving up if you're just going to go to be complacent and fodder for larger schools.

Comment

That would mean the MAC is moving down to FCS, then, because I believe there's by-laws that don't allow for a school to skip from D-II to FBS in football.
                                Right. It's just an imaginary scenario - imaginary on all counts right now.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X