Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It doesn't survive. The GLIAC will very possibly no longer exist in 2023-2024.

Comment

• Originally posted by BeachinLaker View Post

It doesn't survive. The GLIAC will very possibly no longer exist in 2023-2024.
      I wonder if it survives as a non-football conference? I'm not sure how many of those exist in D2, but there are enough schools left if no football. And I can't see GV staying D2 at that time. That could break that Camel's back. And realistically, I don't see any D2 conference welcoming GV. And that's pretty sad when the marquee D2 athletic program can't find a conf. home. And if GLIAC disappears, the UP schools will be a hurtin'. Or forever on the road.

Comment

• Comment

• I wonder what D2 conference will invite Ferris?

Comment

• Originally posted by Redwing View Post

I wonder if it survives as a non-football conference? I'm not sure how many of those exist in D2, but there are enough schools left if no football. And I can't see GV staying D2 at that time. That could break that Camel's back. And realistically, I don't see any D2 conference welcoming GV. And that's pretty sad when the marquee D2 athletic program can't find a conf. home. And if GLIAC disappears, the UP schools will be a hurtin'. Or forever on the road.
            Agreed on it being a non-football conference. That does make the most sense.
            As for other D2 conferences welcoming us...I'm really starting to get PSAC vibes throughout Division II. It seems that everyone has decided they're done trying to compete and that the better route is to neuter the dominant programs. In the case of the PSAC, they slapped scholarship limits on the likes of IUP. In our case, they're just straight up saying they won't play us, leaving us scrambling to schedule quite literally anyone (Lincoln (CA)).

Go to Division I and you don't see this issue. Conferences want big names with big markets for increased exposure and revenue.

Comment

• Parkside isn't allowed to sponsor football, unfortunately. I'm not sure if the same is true of Purdue Northwest. If they are allowed, I wish they would.

Comment

Parkside isn't allowed to sponsor football, unfortunately. I'm not sure if the same is true of Purdue Northwest. If they are allowed, I wish they would.

I'm almost positive that they can sponsor football. I thought they were adding football just before they were coming in, but they merged with some other campus. I think that pulled the plug.. for a bit. But I haven't heard a peep about them adding football. I'm not holding my breath for it either.

Comment

• Does anyone know if the GLIAC were to dissolve, would the Northern Sun be a good landing spot for MTU and NMU? The UP schools in the conference and the correlating travel costs have been an issue for the GLIAC since Uindy left years ago, so if they moved on, the remaining schools could maybe salvage a new conference from the GLIAC rubble if they include some current NAIA or D3s.

Comment

• Originally posted by Uindy18 View Post
                    Does anyone know if the GLIAC were to dissolve, would the Northern Sun be a good landing spot for MTU and NMU? The UP schools in the conference and the correlating travel costs have been an issue for the GLIAC since Uindy left years ago, so if they moved on, the remaining schools could maybe salvage a new conference from the GLIAC rubble if they include some current NAIA or D3s.
                    I think the NSIC would be the only landing spot for the UP schools, including LSSU. I think Parkside might also end up heading that way as well, although travel would not be easy. I don't see the GLVC wanting Parkside back in after the issues I heard happened with them.

That would likely leave GVSU, Ferris, SVSU and WSU on their own. I don't see a conference wanting them.

I really think those 4 are secretly hoping that the NCAA's current model implodes (lead by the Power 5 / 6 - there are 6 in basketball), which results in a monumental shift in the alignment structure.

Comment

• Originally posted by chapmaja View Post

I think the NSIC would be the only landing spot for the UP schools, including LSSU. I think Parkside might also end up heading that way as well, although travel would not be easy. I don't see the GLVC wanting Parkside back in after the issues I heard happened with them.

That would likely leave GVSU, Ferris, SVSU and WSU on their own. I don't see a conference wanting them.

I really think those 4 are secretly hoping that the NCAA's current model implodes (lead by the Power 5 / 6 - there are 6 in basketball), which results in a monumental shift in the alignment structure.
                      Ya, there is a lot of worry across the NCAA as we enter a new world of college sports with paid athletes and NIL deals. My hope is still for a old school private/public GLIAC that includes the current membership (minus Ferris and GVSU who should go D1) plus 4 Michigan NAIAs (Lawrence Tech, Siena Heights, Concordia-Ann Arbor, and Madonna), Northwood and Hillsdale back from the GMAC, and Lewis from the GLVC. I think that establishes a strong and stable conference that keeps the GLIAC alive as the DII conference of Michigan, and adds a non-football school in the Chicago area to keep the P-NW and Parkside contingent happy.

Comment

• A few random thoughts/responses:
                        • The Davenport rumors are out there, but I agree that I have only seen them here. I have not heard how realistic that is or isn't.
                        • The thought that the UP teams wind up in the NSIC has long been suggested. It's probably the only 'logical' destination, but it doesn't strike me as a slam dunk. The NSIC already has 16 schools (14 for football), so it's pretty well stocked. Plus, the travel for the UP teams would be worse (believe it or not) in that league that it is in this one. Not great for the MI schools, and the current NSIC members might have to decide if they want new outposts that are even further removed than the ones they already have.
                        • As for Parkside, I have long heard the same that the only public school in Wisconsin that is allowed to offer schollie football is UW-Madison.
                        • As for going D1...I stand by what I have been saying for years and again recently out here: It solves some problems, perhaps, but it begets others that will then need to be addressed and DON'T ADD ANY VALUE. Solving GV's football scheduling conundrums aren't a reason to go D1 in every sport, start spending millions of additional dollars annually, and go from the marquis national program at a level to the "nameless rabble of victims" in another. It might be what GV does, but it even with the GLIAC's issues it still strikes me as an option that has more negatives than positives.
                        • As for my "novels", well gang...I guess we have a lot to talk about and I'm Chatty Cathy. You've been stuck with me out here for 15+ years...live with it or don't. LOL...

Comment

Just curious where you saw that?
                          on twitter out of any place

Comment

• im also getting an odd sense that UINDY might jump to D1 as well. heck who knows what d2 to d1 school could pull a 2013 Wichita State and make a run, i think anyone can beat anybody.

Comment

• Originally posted by Illinoisguy23 View Post
                              im also getting an odd sense that UINDY might jump to D1 as well. heck who knows what d2 to d1 school could pull a 2013 Wichita State and make a run, i think anyone can beat anybody.
                              I would love to see Indy join us in D1.

Comment

• Can someone explain to me how or why the GLIAC has rapidly started to dissolve? Not looking for a smart-ass remark, looking for a legitimate answer. What has long been considered one of the strongest D2 conferences is now on the brink of extinction. And this all transpired in the span of 7-8 years.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X