Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 GLIAC Season

First post on the site. What are the final standings going to be in the GLIAC this year?

My Predictions:

GVSU
    FSU (Boo)
    Saginaw
    Wayne State
    Michigan Tech
    Davenport
    Northwood
    Northern Michigan

1. Ferris St
    2. GVSU
    3. Wayne St
    4. SVSU
    5. M-Tech
    6. Davenport
    7. Northern Mich
    8. Northwood

Comment

Ferris St or GVSU...then everyone else. In the last 5 years only one 2 GLIAC teams have beaten either Ferris St or GVSU (besides them beating each other). That is Ashland(no longer in the conference) and Wayne State beat GVSU in 2019. Other then that in the last 5 years no other GLIAC team has beaten GVSU or Ferris State.

Comment

Originally posted by GLIAC Fan View Post
        1. Ferris St
        2. GVSU
        3. Wayne St
        4. SVSU
        5. M-Tech
        6. Davenport
        7. Northern Mich
        8. Northwood
        Probably correct

Comment

Originally posted by GV Retired Bum View Post
          First post on the site. What are the final standings going to be in the GLIAC this year?

My Predictions:

GVSU
          FSU (Boo)
          Saginaw
          Wayne State
          Michigan Tech
          Davenport
          Northwood
          Northern Michigan

I think most of these predictions will be very similar. The 2 big dogs, then everyone else.

GVSU
          FSU
          Saginaw
          Wayne State
          Northwood
          Davenport
          MTU
          Northern Michigan

Comment

1. Ferris St
            2. GVSU
            3. Wayne St
            4. SVSU
            5. Davenport
            6. Michigan Tech
            7. Northwood
            8. Northern Michigan

Comment

Hard for me not to be biased with GV. Guess I'll see how close I am in November.

GVSU- I'm thinking this will be a great year. O-line, Rb's, D.. all look top shelf. QB and WR are unkowns, but likely still talented.

FSU- Purely on past. Who knows what TA is hiding up there this season. He's got holes to fill, but the FLA pipeline could fill some???? They COULD be lower. Maybe the opposite of WSU?

Saginaw- They seemed to turn things around a bit in '19. Let's see what direction they take in '21

Wayne State- Could be the league sleeper. But I'm a bit suspect of coaching staff.

Davenport - Just a gut call. I have no clue about their roster. It turns over a ton normally, who knows after an additional year?

Northwood- A bit of letting my heart getting in the way. Maybe NU clicks a bit more after going through that flood last year.

Michigan Tech- I'm surprised I have them this low. MTU tends to be solid. I suspect DU/NU/MTU are essentially a coin flip

Northern Michigan- One of these seasons they'll surprise us... not this one.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Redwing View Post
                  Hard for me not to be biased with GV. Guess I'll see how close I am in November.

GVSU- I'm thinking this will be a great year. O-line, Rb's, D.. all look top shelf. QB and WR are unkowns, but likely still talented.

FSU- Purely on past. Who knows what TA is hiding up there this season. He's got holes to fill, but the FLA pipeline could fill some???? They COULD be lower. Maybe the opposite of WSU?

Saginaw- They seemed to turn things around a bit in '19. Let's see what direction they take in '21

Wayne State- Could be the league sleeper. But I'm a bit suspect of coaching staff.

Davenport - Just a gut call. I have no clue about their roster. It turns over a ton normally, who knows after an additional year?

Northwood- A bit of letting my heart getting in the way. Maybe NU clicks a bit more after going through that flood last year.

Michigan Tech- I'm surprised I have them this low. MTU tends to be solid. I suspect DU/NU/MTU are essentially a coin flip

Northern Michigan- One of these seasons they'll surprise us... not this one.
                  I mean Ferris picked up a D1 dual-threat QB. So I assume they're going to be great yet again.
                  2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

I mean Ferris picked up a D1 dual-threat QB. So I assume they're going to be great yet again.
                    They never were and never will be great. So no way can they be great again. As for that QB, any details? Maybe it would be better in another thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwing View Post

They never were and never will be great. So no way can they be great again. As for that QB, any details? Maybe it would be better in another thread.
                      https://www.ferrisstatebulldogs.com/..._kh8z?view=bio

Mylik Mitchell from Kent State. He hasn't played since 2016, though. Played in 2016, missed 2017 due to injury, didn't play in '18 or '19.

They also signed this guy but he wasn't listed on their 2020 roster, so I'm not sure if he stuck around? https://www.ferrisstatebulldogs.com/...20200212f9ccfz
                      2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

I think the departure of Ginn from GV will help tremendously. Last 6 years of playing calling has come from these two individuals...

Morrison: Back to D3 position coach after a 1 year stint of highschool.
                        Ginn: Helping local highschool team.

Not to mention the additions of Wooster, Roundtree and Olson. All 3 have fantastic resumes and track records of recruiting and coaching.

Obviously the players have to go make the plays but it really does start with the ability to put them in the right position.

Comment

Very simple....depends on which teams test for Covid and which ones dont...also depends a great deal on the % of vaccinated players and staff...also depends a great deal on the leadership of the university....its not going to be a level playing field unless the GLIAC steps up and holds all teams to the same standard...and if the conference does that I would be amazed. Some schools do not test at all while other test daily...That said GVSU has a great shot with the new staff and returning players. Ferris will of course be a force to deal with...SVSU should be better as well...the rest who knows....

Comment

I like Wayne State's chances in the GLIAC this year. It seems like most of our skill players are either guys that weren't starters or redshirted most of their careers. However, most of the OL and one of the starting QBs from 2019 are back, which should mitigate the lack of experience on the skill side. On defense, it looks like much of the same in that our linemen are returning, while the secondary has a lot less experience.

Most of our Spring practice got shut down due to Covid, though if the same happened at other schools, it shouldn't be a problem. I'd like to think that 2 years and some coaching shakeups is enough time to marinate on some fresh ideas on how to not get clotheslined by SRU and Truman State. With both being home games, I would think at least 1 is winnable. I know nothing about Missouri S&T, but based on their record in the GLVC, they seem like a team that should match up well with WSU. Obviously all of the GLIAC games are important and we all know that most weeks will be a toss up. Playing SVSU twice has me nervous knowing how hard it can be to beat the same team twice in a season. But if the season goes well early on, the last 2 weeks are going to be massively exciting. My blood pressure is already spiking at the thought of home vs GV and @ FSU possibly for a GLIAC title and/or playoff chance.

Comment

I think Ferris will win again, but it's hard to say anything with so much happening in the last two years. Going game by game:

Findlay: Good team, they were in the playoff picture before losing 2 of their last 4. Very nearly upset Ferris week 1 by going for two and the win (always the right call in that situation IMO). I see a close win, but maybe not as close as last time, something like 31-24.

Ashland: Toss-up. 21-17 Ferris or something like that

SV: W. Annese has yet to lose to a former assistant and I don't think that stops here.

Davenport: W. They've been a punching bag for Ferris the last three seasons, with the closest game being a 41-17 L in week 10 of 2018.

Northwood: W. Two years without games doesn't help a team that went 1-10 in 2019

GV: I'm leaning blue at this point, but it's difficult to predict a game like this without seeing what both teams offer first. 35-28 GV tentatively

Tech: W. They got some good recruits this year but not enough to turn 52-0 into a win.

NMU: W. All you need to know is this: Ferris lost 5 fumbles and still won by 28 in the last meeting.

Davenport: see above

Wayne State: W. I think GV's loss was a less accurate depiction of the kind of team WSU is than the rest of y'all. They've improved but there's still a good ways to go before they can get a W in this matchup.

The biggest question marks in my view are DB/secondary and QB. Both lines will be good, LB shouldn't be a problem, RB production is the most replaceable of all, and WR/SLOT hasn't really been an issue. On the other hand, the entire starting secondary is gone and there are no apparent heirs to guys like Alex Thomas and James Caesar. Right now, the starting QB is either Evan Cummins (ugh) or a guy who hasn't taken a live snap since 2019, and neither of those strike me as solid options for a team with title aspirations.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X