Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Irishlaker View Post

RW's point is that we don't look for the weaker teams, but that sometimes when no one will schedule you you're left with those who will actually sign-on. I agree that 'Boro is softer...but they had the stones to sign-on. Believe me, the list of supposed "elite" programs in this country who have said "no" to playing GV is not short...which is funny in a way, considering our output over the last ten years doesn't measure up to what we were doing the ten years prior...
    As you say you can only play teams that will show up. In '19 for CAL U that was believe it or not St Anselm of the NE10.....truly embarrassing. This year Fairmont State of the MEC which is only marginally better. Oh well, it's nice to be talking football again. Good luck this season.

Comment

Tough break for GVSU. I know we can't stop COVID issues, but this also speaks to the state of the league and scheduling. Crickets from the league office.

Comment

If I'm the GLIAC the GMAC and probably the GLVC im getting on a call with all three leagues and setting up something to help fill games that get cancelled. This wont be the last game cancelled and between the three you should have enough teams to hopefully get something done. Just going to need to be flexible.

Comment

Originally posted by unc4life View Post
          If I'm the GLIAC the GMAC and probably the GLVC im getting on a call with all three leagues and setting up something to help fill games that get cancelled. This wont be the last game cancelled and between the three you should have enough teams to hopefully get something done. Just going to need to be flexible.
          The current GLIAC administration doesn't seem to have the intelligence or leadership to get anything like that accomplished in such a short time.

Comment

Originally posted by 4nick8 View Post

The current GLIAC administration doesn't seem to have the intelligence or leadership to get anything like that accomplished in such a short time.
            GLIAC has wanted to be a part of that conversation for years. GMAC & GLVC won't even talk to them. Sad to see the decline. Only going to get worse...

Comment

That would be good. St Thomas was supposed to play D3 St Francis but was looking for an opponent. That would be an interesting game since UST is just coming up from D3.

Comment

I would assume if we don't see anything by the end of today, there won't be a game happening. I don't know how you get prepared to play an opponent with only two days to prep for them. But we'll see.

I would assume the reason GV is looking for a game is because without this game, and with the LaCrosse game being D3, GV would be down to only 9 games counting towards playoff eligibility, which I believe is the minimum. One more canceled game and they either wouldn't be eligible for the playoffs, or they'd need special consideration. Am I correct in that? Or are my numbers off?
                2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Doubt it could materialize, but something gaining a bit of traction by fans on Twitter...

https://twitter.com/gvsufootball/sta...65694382997504

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post
                    I would assume if we don't see anything by the end of today, there won't be a game happening. I don't know how you get prepared to play an opponent with only two days to prep for them. But we'll see.

I would assume the reason GV is looking for a game is because without this game, and with the LaCrosse game being D3, GV would be down to only 9 games counting towards playoff eligibility, which I believe is the minimum. One more canceled game and they either wouldn't be eligible for the playoffs, or they'd need special consideration. Am I correct in that? Or are my numbers off?
                    The way things are going in week 1, I will guess several otherwise highly qualified teams will have less than the minimum. UNC-PEMBROKE just cancelled with WINSTON-SALEM STATE this morning. IUP chose to schedule only 10 games and one of those is against BORO who need to get it together or their new coach will have one foot out the door.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

The way things are going in week 1, I will guess several otherwise highly qualified teams will have less than the minimum. UNC-PEMBROKE just cancelled with WINSTON-SALEM STATE this morning. IUP chose to schedule only 10 games and one of those is against BORO who need to get it together or their new coach will have one foot out the door.
                      GVSU has offered to travel and pay and yet teams dont have the balls to play #23 ranked GVSU...kinda makes you wonder huh?

Comment

Originally posted by MrsThortonMelon View Post

GVSU has offered to travel and pay and yet teams dont have the balls to play #23 ranked GVSU...kinda makes you wonder huh?
                        Again, why not play rather than not have a game?. This is how you move up in the world- play a ranked opponent. If you win you move up, if you lose you played someone tough. Take the chance.

Comment

Comment

The NCAA itself hasn't set any rules regarding it, and since it is non-conference it's just gonna be a no contest. If a conference has specific rules for it (like some FBS conferences do regarding forfeits), then those would apply. But from what I gather, no D2 conferences have made any such rules, so they're probably just all going to be no contests.
                            2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

It's my understanding that if GV took the forfeit there's no way for them to find another game. Can't get two wins in one week. But I also imagine that while Mitchell will go anywhere to play anybody, GV athletics wants to try to get another home game to bring in the revenue they depend on.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

It's my understanding that if GV took the forfeit there's no way for them to find another game. Can't get two wins in one week. But I also imagine that while Mitchell will go anywhere to play anybody, GV athletics wants to try to get another home game to bring in the revenue they depend on.
                                There is no forfeit for us to take. As Kle illustrated, the NCAA has created no "policy" around this.

As for "getting another home game", sure...we'd love that. Given the circumstances, I'm hearing that our Administration is doing everything they can to get a game no matter where it is. Playing in Allendale this weekend is not a requirement.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X