Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Week 2 Review...

Thoughts on how your teams did in week 2 and the GLIAC overall. Looks like as a conference we dropped a few games that I thought we would pull out.

The team from Allendale finally got a chance to take the field. Were they as good the score indicates or is Pueblo as bad as they looked? Maybe a mixture of both. As I watched that game, it was painful to see Pueblo on the field. And to think Commerce (who also lost) went toe-to-toe with them and they're ranked 15th and 5th, respectively..hmmm

My Dawgs took care of business in surprisingly easy fashion. But as is the case with this team, we either have an issue with penalties, turnovers or both. This time it was penalties rearing their ugly head again.

Here's a stat for you..
    Ashland Passing - 162 yds, Rushing - 165yds.. Dawgs - 17 penalties for 162 yds.

This game was 31-3 and seems like the Dawgs gifted Ashland 16 pts. Multiple defensive holding penalties on 3rd downs when they had them stopped. Has to get cleaned up. Turnovers stopped us from going to the NC 2 years ago against West Florida. If this isn't addressed we're going to screw ourselves somewhere down the line either in conference or the playoffs.

Will be a lot of changes in the top 25 with some big names losing...
    Harding
    Minnesota-Mankato
    Pueblo
    Texas AM-Commerce
    Pitt State

Painful watching the Wildcats lose to a D3 team. I know they are a top tier team at that level, but to get outplayed the entire game is sad. I figured it would be close, but I expected more for the cats.

Comment

Very impressed by Grand Valley's defense. I don't think Pueblo is that good, but limiting any team to those rushing numbers is incredibly impressive. It would've been a shutout if it weren't for a phantom pass interference call in the endzone from a ref 30 yards away and a pick 6 by GV's backup QB.

I was scratching my head a but at GV's wide receivers having such a hard time getting open. Unless it was a quick-hitter short route, it seemed like Peterson was hanging around in the pocket for a long time and forced to scramble on nearly every pass attempt. Hopefully this improves with more reps between the group. It IS so nice to have a legit dual threat quarterback. Peterson shook off so many defenders in the pocket and led the team with 86 yards rushing, some from scrambles and some on designed runs, including the draw on 4th and 2 that went for a long touchdown to start the game.

Comment

Pretty poor weekend for the GLIAC overall, 3-5 with 4 multi-score losses

-Davenport looks unconvincing to say the least

-Ferris won big but gave Ashland a bunch of mulligans on penalties that better teams will take advantage of

-Torn between "GV fixed the offense and the defense is still good" and "Pueblo's defense is not good and their o-line has yet to show up two games in to the season"
        -note on pueblo's o-line: in two games they've given up 18 tfls, 7 sacks, and 17 qb hits

-Northern got rocked by a d3, Northwood got rocked by a playoff contender, Saginaw lost to a good team, Tech lost a close one to an FCS school, and Wayne St. was not competitive against Truman

Comment

Was not able to watch other games because I went to the GV game.

Thoughts:

Defense - They will be Elite like every year. Very talented from top to bottom and play extremely fast. As long as we have Louis our defense will always be the strength of the team.

Offense - I think GV has found their two guys. OC showed the ability to run his scheme regardless of game momentum and was able to put the guys in a position to succeed at a high rate. Watching this game was refreshing because we didnt see ONE jump ball thrown unless it was in the redzone. That will help a ton with keeping drives alive and keeping our defense off the field. Peterson was clearly the better option at QB, I dont think thats really a debate now. We scored 34 points and our starting QB wasnt out there for 3 whole drives. This game could of gotten a lot worse, Pueblo was lucky it didnt.

Excited to watch this team through out the season. Only issue is the team north of us looks to be beating up on playoff teams for fun. Should be interesting to see how it unfolds.

Comment

Originally posted by Mk63NuclearBomb View Post
            Pretty poor weekend for the GLIAC overall, 3-5 with 4 multi-score losses

-Davenport looks unconvincing to say the least

-Ferris won big but gave Ashland a bunch of mulligans on penalties that better teams will take advantage of

-Torn between "GV fixed the offense and the defense is still good" and "Pueblo's defense is not good and their o-line has yet to show up two games in to the season"
            -note on pueblo's o-line: in two games they've given up 18 tfls, 7 sacks, and 17 qb hits

-Northern got rocked by a d3, Northwood got rocked by a playoff contender, Saginaw lost to a good team, Tech lost a close one to an FCS school, and Wayne St. was not competitive against Truman
            Pueblo's defense is good, their offense simply can't give them any time to rest ever. Pueblo's offense is horrific as usual, no surprise there. Yeah, they've played maybe the toughest schedule in all of D2 through 2 weeks but they've had problems on that side of the ball since 2014. Didn't watch the game but not at all surprised at the result. Wish Grand Valley wouldn't charge to stream, seems like a fun team to watch.

Comment

Mostly thought that GVSU was knocking off a lot of rust. Didn't see a lot of dumb penalties, short of stuff that the Refs toss at us.

Comment

Frustrating is all I've got for Wayne State. We had bad first quarter coupled with some unneeded defensive and special teams breakdowns, not to mention being unable to score touchdowns at <5 yards out. Passing game came alive in the second half, but drives either fizzled or ended in turnovers.

Not gonna get too mad about it...yet. At best, we repeat 2019 (or just straight up run the table); at worst we repeat 2018. Somehow, I see WSU somewhere in between in that .500 purgatory.

Comment

Originally posted by mtsax305 View Post
                  Frustrating is all I've got for Wayne State. We had bad first quarter coupled with some unneeded defensive and special teams breakdowns, not to mention being unable to score touchdowns at <5 yards out. Passing game came alive in the second half, but drives either fizzled or ended in turnovers.

Not gonna get too mad about it...yet. At best, we repeat 2019 (or just straight up run the table); at worst we repeat 2018. Somehow, I see WSU somewhere in between in that .500 purgatory.
                  From what I've seen so far If Wayne manages to get above .500 it would signify a successful season. I don't think they have the caliber of team they had in 2019 but we'll see. It looks like a rough road ahead at this point however and I'm not very optimistic right now. Their first road game will not be easy, especially with a long bus ride. An 0-3 start will not bode well for the rest of the season. Fingers crossed.

Comment

I just saw the highlights from GV-Pueblo, I'm still not sure about the offense (hard to tell from highlights obv.) but petersen is sooooo much more dynamic than either williams or kotopka. Like... multiple instances where those two would've been sacked or run down for no gain that petersen turned into positive yardage.

Comment

Originally posted by Mk63NuclearBomb View Post
                      I just saw the highlights from GV-Pueblo, I'm still not sure about the offense (hard to tell from highlights obv.) but petersen is sooooo much more dynamic than either williams or kotopka. Like... multiple instances where those two would've been sacked or run down for no gain that petersen turned into positive yardage.
                      I think that's an accurate assessment.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

I think that's an accurate assessment.
                        I hate to say it, but I see just the tiiiiiiiiiiiiniest bit of Finnerty in Cade. He's a good runner who will break tackles, but doesn't have much accuracy on his passes. Cullen started the same way. His accuracy eventually got a little better, but he was never a pinpoint kind of guy. His running is what won them some games, though. We can, obviously, only hope for a fraction of the same type of success.
                        2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

I hate to say it, but I see just the tiiiiiiiiiiiiniest bit of Finnerty in Cade. He's a good runner who will break tackles, but doesn't have much accuracy on his passes. Cullen started the same way. His accuracy eventually got a little better, but he was never a pinpoint kind of guy. His running is what won them some games, though. We can, obviously, only hope for a fraction of the same type of success.
                          I think I'd like a bigger sample size on the accuracy before arriving at a final thought. Yeah, he threw a few major-league ducks...not doubt about it. BUT, the in-cut for a TD to Johnson was a laser right on the $. And, believe it or not, that deep out to Miller was actually really something. Am curious if we might see significant advancement in the coming weeks, vs. over the remainder of his career...

Comment

Originally posted by Irishlaker View Post

I think I'd like a bigger sample size on the accuracy before arriving at a final thought. Yeah, he threw a few major-league ducks...not doubt about it. BUT, the in-cut for a TD to Johnson was a laser right on the $. And, believe it or not, that deep out to Miller was actually really something. Am curious if we might see significant advancement in the coming weeks, vs. over the remainder of his career...
                            Yea, he obviously has moments. But so far for his career he's barely above 50% completion. 39-for-76 if my math is correct. That's my only concern. But it is limited time, and his games in 2019 weren't really with much prep time since he was filling in for injury, so I'm sure it will improve as the season (and his career) goes. That pass to Johnson was amazing, though. I said "holy s***" as soon as he threw it. Haha
                            2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

Yea, he obviously has moments. But so far for his career he's barely above 50% completion. 39-for-76 if my math is correct. That's my only concern. But it is limited time, and his games in 2019 weren't really with much prep time since he was filling in for injury, so I'm sure it will improve as the season (and his career) goes. That pass to Johnson was amazing, though. I said "holy s***" as soon as he threw it. Haha
                              I think we should just wipe 2019 clean for Peterson. Every other throw was either a jump ball or a deep post. No on rhythm easy quick game. Not to mention like you stated earlier he was thrown into horrible situations as a 19 yr old kid.

The only reason im so excited after the first game is because I watched an offense take what the defense gave them over and over again until they scored. The past 6 years was either Touchdown or 3 and out, which is why we have struggled.

I was surprised with the lack of push from the front 5 against pueblo though. It might be because my expectations were either too high or their D-line was just that good against the run.

Runningbacks looked fine, I hate the amount they rotated them but I guess when you have that many guys who can play at an elite level you have to.

WRs were a huge let down imo. Were they good? yes absolutely. I was expecting to see ELITE tho. I thought we would surpass the Brandon Bean, Urston Smith, Nick Dodson, Matt Williams times with this crew. First game tho, Coach Tree will get them right.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X