Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting players on GVSU roster

Defensive end Xavier Washington is on the roster. He is a former starter for Northwestern of the Big Ten but was arrested for cocaine possession and apparently injured for all of the 2017 season. He was a senior for 2017 at Northwestern and is still listed as a senior for GVSU entering 2019.

Wide receiver Brandon Johnson, is a former cornerback at Michigan, who was dismissed after an assault charge by his girlfriend. He played at the JUCO ranks last year.

Re: Interesting players on GVSU roster

Originally posted by vannzee View Post
    Defensive end Xavier Washington is on the roster. He is a former starter for Northwestern of the Big Ten but was arrested for cocaine possession and apparently injured for all of the 2017 season. He was a senior for 2017 at Northwestern and is still listed as a senior for GVSU entering 2019.

Wide receiver Brandon Johnson, is a former cornerback at Michigan, who was dismissed after an assault charge by his girlfriend. He played at the JUCO ranks last year.
    Washington has been on the roster for a while...if I understand correctly. I think he may have even been here this past spring? Could be wrong. Hopes/expectations are high for him.

Presuming you're talking about Nate Johnson (as opposed to Brandon). Not sure what the prospects are on him. He didn't do much at UM, and had the issue you mentioned. Supposedly he was at Arizona Western College last year. The roster doesn't list him, but the game logs indicate that he played in every game. He accumulated no stats except for a single punt return for one yard. Seems odd that he would have played in every game but had no stats? Just special teams, perhaps? Again, seems odd. Had a 3 or 4 star rating coming out of HS depending which recruiting service you look at. He supposedly had 25 D1 offers, including Michigan, Notre Dame, Miami (FL), Purdue, Penn State, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Northwestern and South Carolina. If you look at some of his HS highlights, he's not a burner but he had some pretty killer ball skills. Was supposedly runner-up Mr. Football in TN after the 2015 season. I guess time will tell, but we've had more transfers do nothing at GV than we've had be awesome. Certainly hope this kid finds a way to "awesome", but hard to bank on it...

Kinda curious about Charles Gaines...I think he's been on the roster since last year. Transferred in from an NAIA school that went 11-1 when he played for them in 2017, and he led them in receiving. Doesn't look like he's super fast, but he's got a D1-type body.

Comment

Perhaps we should see how the lads do at GVSU before we call NCIS Allendale. GVSU has given a few guys a second chance and it has worked out well. Alton Voss comes to mind...other schools in the conference have guys playing with records as well...frankly I hope they all turn it around and use football as a tool for some life success.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsThortonMelon View Post

Perhaps we should see how the lads do at GVSU before we call NCIS Allendale. GVSU has given a few guys a second chance and it has worked out well. Alton Voss comes to mind...other schools in the conference have guys playing with records as well...frankly I hope they all turn it around and use football as a tool for some life success.
        I agree. Let's not forget the guy that is leading Ferris now and his problems while in high school. Ferris gave him a second (or was it third chance) and it has worked out well for them. I am admittedly not a big TA fan, but I do give him credit for taking chances on guys with checkered pasts and making it work out. Ferris isn't the first place he has done that at.

Comment

Wow, that was a quick boarding of the hypocritical train....lol You guys rag on TA for the players with background issues he takes year after year and you go get a couple of D1 gems (a woman beater and a chap who fancies the nose candy)? Not to mention who knows what your tailback did at Pitt that got him kicked off the team. But wait, since they're playing for GV, lets give them a chance to turn their life around...lol

At least chap has the fortitude to give TA credit. But let's be real. GV has been doing this for years, you guys just like to look the other way or rationalize it when it's in your house. As long as it benefits your program, it's ok. I will say in this instance, MM is going deep into the rabbit hole with these 2. Not sure "GV nation" is use to having this kind of dirt under their nails. With their pristine, do it the way right way image and all.

Either way I hear MM has applied to the NCAA to get El Chapo a transfer waiver. Plus O.J. and Ray Carruth have a few years of eligibility left. Maybe you guys can shake that tree and see what falls for you. :wink:

Comment

Originally posted by DawgUp View Post
            Wow, that was a quick boarding of the hypocritical train....lol You guys rag on TA for the players with background issues he takes year after year and you go get a couple of D1 gems (a woman beater and a chap who fancies the nose candy)? Not to mention who knows what your tailback did at Pitt that got him kicked off the team. But wait, since they're playing for GV, lets give them a chance to turn their life around...lol

At least chap has the fortitude to give TA credit. But let's be real. GV has been doing this for years, you guys just like to look the other way or rationalize it when it's in your house. As long as it benefits your program, it's ok. I will say in this instance, MM is going deep into the rabbit hole with these 2. Not sure "GV nation" is use to having this kind of dirt under their nails. With their pristine, do it the way right way image and all.

Either way I hear MM has applied to the NCAA to get El Chapo a transfer waiver. Plus O.J. and Ray Carruth have a few years of eligibility left. Maybe you guys can shake that tree and see what falls for you. :wink:
            I was hoping you could go back and find quotes from where I have called out TA for giving kids a second chance to play? I believe if you look close you will damn near ever school in the country does the same things...some with more success than others. We called OJ by the way and he said he is going to Last Chance U this fall...Garden City I think to follow his dreams...you know the place I assume?

Comment

No need for me to hit the archives. And hooray that you and maybe 1 or 2 give TA props...but you're not the only GV person on this board. And I guaranty there's a crap load more people taking shots at TA for giving kids second chances that benefit his program than there are saying he did something good. Maybe you should do a search on yourself and your boardmates to see how many shots you took at Jayru and his past. And yes, I know every school in the country does it, including GV..which makes the hypocrisy even more laughable.

Nice how a woman beater and powder sniffer are labeled "Interesting players" when they're on GVs roster...lmfao.

Not too familiar with Last Chance U, seen it playing on the picture tube once or twice. But I heard if MM loses to TA again and fails to make the playoffs, Last Chance U will be getting a new head coach.

Comment

No need for me to hit the archives. And hooray that you and maybe 1 or 2 give TA props...but you're not the only GV person on this board. And I guaranty there's a crap load more people taking shots at TA for giving kids second chances that benefit his program than there are saying he did something good. Maybe you should do a search on yourself and your boardmates to see how many shots you took at Jayru and his past. And yes, I know every school in the country does it, including GV..which makes the hypocrisy even more laughable.

Nice how a woman beater and powder sniffer are labeled "Interesting players" when they're on GVs roster...lmfao.

Not too familiar with Last Chance U, seen it playing on the picture tube once or twice. But I heard if MM loses to TA again and fails to make the playoffs, Last Chance U will be getting a new head coach.
                Well, I admit that I just won't give any Kudos to TA... There's just too much "other stuff" there with him. And frankly, I never expect any opponent's fan to congratulate another coach unless the coach is winning something. Guess I'm just too competitive. Alternatively, I won't rip on any coach for giving a kid a second chance... or even a third chance. I will point out when I do feel a coach/university may be trying to hide something or even worse, misrepresent a rules issue. Mistakes can be made, but the behavior post those mistakes, right and wrong, is fair game for me.

And honestly, with all the shots that TA may get, I don't recall him getting them for giving kids another chance. Maybe I missed them???? I know it wasn't me, since other than MR JC, I don't even know the kids that got that second chance. BTW, care to comment on how JC's enrollment at FSU wasn't even announced? IIRC, it wasn't until quite some time after.. if that. I find it odd that such a talented athlete didn't get much PR from the school until maybe after a year of being there.
                Last edited by Redwing; 08-28-2019, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwing View Post

BTW, care to comment on how JC's enrollment at FSU wasn't even announced? IIRC, it wasn't until quite some time after.. if that. I find it odd that such a talented athlete didn't get much PR from the school until maybe after a year of being there.
                  Have no idea. Don't think I've ever heard Ferris announce an incoming transfer for anything. But I'm sure it's for the same reason GV isn't announcing these 2..background doesn't look good and they're waiting to see if they screw up coming thru the door. I'm sure there a few more in conference we don't even know exist yet.

Hey hopefully all these kids get their act together, get a degree and get a chance to play a little ball in the process. Would rather they talk about them creating havoc on the field instead of off it.

Comment

Originally posted by vannzee View Post

Comment

That's exactly what I thought too DawgUp. Years of reading the crap they post about FSU and TA, and now they are the golden child of DII for giving some kids a second chance. Well said. GO DAWGS!

Comment

Originally posted by BulldogFanatic View Post

That's exactly what I thought too DawgUp. Years of reading the crap they post about FSU and TA, and now they are the golden child of DII for giving some kids a second chance. Well said. GO DAWGS!
                        BROAD brushes, Boys. Don't lump all of us together.

I stand by my statements regarding TA and how he "adheres" to rules. Anyone from West Michigan who followed his career prior to Ferris knows why. I do NOT, however, make any sort of deal out of him giving kids a second chance. Every coach in the country does it in some form or fashion, and GV is no exception.

I would contend that many GV posters feel the same way...

Comment

This is a very unique look at GVSU...normally they are stacked with returning starters that set the pace of this team. Hopefully they can avoid the turnovers this weekend against Delta State they should be a much better football team.

Comment

I understand the butthurt. Truly do. The mention of Ferris, even if slightly backhanded, seemed like it was actually in defense of the practice... shows others are noticing what you are doing to be successful and thinking maybe you are on to something (including maybe even MM?). It's always a dilemma between athletic performance and academic/behavior performance... we'd all love it if it wasn't that way.. but it is. Schools have various models... doesn't make one better than the other, it's all relative to the goals of the school and student. GV, regardless of division has a track record most schools can only dream of with directors cups piling up while remaining one of the strongest academic schools in D2 at the same time.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X