Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GV Retired Bum View Post

Sorry if im not making myself clear. I think the committee knew they were going to rank GV 4 as long as everything played out accordingly. I just wish they would have had them there from the start instead of confusing everyone. GV had a 42-0 win vs DU. Cant get much more convincing. So this was a premeditated decision regardless of the outcomes of the last week. Especially because MTU pulled out a win.

At the end of the day, GV played 2 less qualified games than their opponents and I dont completely hate the 4 ranking. I just wish there was more consistency from the start.
    I get what you're saying.

Where I think the confusion is though is that this isn't a ranking where the previous week's spots factor into the current week. Each ranking is a snapshot of the body of work of each team to that point. As more data (games) is added, the snapshot gets clearer and clearer.

Up until Lindenwood played a winless William Jewell team, they were nestled in at the 4 spot. After that game, LU's SOS took a huge hit. Had LU played WJ at the end of season, the drop to 5 would've happened then.
    Cool Story Bro

Comment

I get the 10% thing. I really do. But it's not really a 10% CHANGE of each metric. At least not this last weak. Point is, most of the favored teams won, so that SHOULD reduce much movement in the rankings. Still, numbers are numbers. So expecting a change in the last week can be expected.

As I commented before, it's not just the numbers. There are some metrics I find a bit odd. But it's the way the numbers are used. We can all speculate, and actually mirror the committee's results. But by my eyes, for example, where does it say how w/l should be used? Or even OWP? Alternatively just pick your metric. Each comm. can rank as they choose. I suspect a lot is by convention so that's why the avid followers get pretty close to the actual RRs. That may or may not make them the best ranking.
      Yes, there is a metric of record vs ranked teams. Does the handbook describe how it's to be used at all? Not that I can see. Same thing with how to weight w/l records. Yes it does describe how the metric is defined, but no where does it say how to use them. It's vague even about primary vs other metrics.

Frankly, I have no issue with this flexibility. However, the flexibility should be used to help achieve the best ranking. That being said, rankings should be pretty objective, but need to have subjectivity. I really don't think they can be totally objective. Personalities, relationships and yes, biases, all come into play. I don't have a great solution, but I do wish the committees would practice more scrutiny to the final rankings to minimize the "huh?" reaction when the RRs are released. Hiding behind a metric to justify ones bias is suspect. Yes it's valid, but if it's not achieving the best result. Somethings need and can be altered to achieve a consensus best.

With all that though, face it, these are people like you and me and they're trying their best (fingers crossed). Hopefully their best aligns with ones views, but we know that it won't always be the case. Still, it likely does more often than not.

I'll end my rant now.

Comment

One tiny thing I dont really get....how can GVSU be ranked number 5 in the national coaches poll and be a #4 seed in the region? I thought the idea we to get the best 28 teams in the country in and seed in all out...I guess the NCAA is hurting for cash and needs to make teams place as close as they can as long as they can. O well I hear that Lindenwood is a lovely team and should enjoy the completely sterile confines of Lubbers this weekend...do we have to remove the Jumbotron or mearly pull the powercord off of it? Maybe save some money and not plow off the field this weekend like we did last weekend?

Comment

Originally posted by bigsig50 View Post

I get what you're saying.

Where I think the confusion is though is that this isn't a ranking where the previous week's spots factor into the current week. Each ranking is a snapshot of the body of work of each team to that point. As more data (games) is added, the snapshot gets clearer and clearer.

Up until Lindenwood played a winless William Jewell team, they were nestled in at the 4 spot. After that game, LU's SOS took a huge hit. Had LU played WJ at the end of season, the drop to 5 would've happened then.
          I understand. I just dont think there should have been that big of a change from numbers perspective except one, that is the total number of games played. Which hasnt been a hidden secret the entire season, we all knew GV would be punished for playing fewer games.

At the end of the day it is what it is, the NCAA will always prove to be incompetent and we will have to just deal with it. GV 56 Lindenwood 10

Comment

Originally posted by GV Retired Bum View Post

I understand. I just dont think there should have been that big of a change from numbers perspective except one, that is the total number of games played. Which hasnt been a hidden secret the entire season, we all knew GV would be punished for playing fewer games.

At the end of the day it is what it is, the NCAA will always prove to be incompetent and we will have to just deal with it. GV 56 Lindenwood 10
            Ouch.

I hope not. That'll be a long bus ride back. :(
            Cool Story Bro

Comment

Just to throw a log on the PO bracket selections fire, anyone recall when it appeared when GV got a break in the seedings? To be fair, this year's matchup vs Lwood MAY be one, but geographically it makes sense and FWIW, I think Lwood was ranked 5 previously anyway. Maybe it'll soften the sting a bit if someone could point out a couple... or even one. The only break I recall was being told to just win.. like all the other teams went undefeated. SMH.
              TIA

Comment

Originally posted by MrsThortonMelon View Post
                One tiny thing I dont really get....how can GVSU be ranked number 5 in the national coaches poll and be a #4 seed in the region? I thought the idea we to get the best 28 teams in the country in and seed in all out...I guess the NCAA is hurting for cash and needs to make teams place as close as they can as long as they can. O well I hear that Lindenwood is a lovely team and should enjoy the completely sterile confines of Lubbers this weekend...do we have to remove the Jumbotron or mearly pull the powercord off of it? Maybe save some money and not plow off the field this weekend like we did last weekend?
                The regional committee doesn't care about the top 25 rankings. They have zero relation whatsoever in any way.
                2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Official athletics website is always the definitive answer.
                        2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Anyone know if there will be a TV or video feed of the GV game on Saturday?

Comment

Originally posted by higgs21 View Post
                            Anyone know if there will be a TV or video feed of the GV game on Saturday?
                            Playoff games are streamed from the school website for free until the semifinals

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post
                              I mean none of it makes sense, but we knew that already.

If there's one undefeated team at #1, and everyone behind them has 1 loss, does it not make sense that the team with 1 loss, which lost to the undefeated team, should be #2? When that team also has the best SOS of the teams with 1 loss? I mean it makes sense to me. But apparently I'm the only one.

I wouldn't be surprised if the numbers all say GV should be #2, but they put them at #4 for the GV/Ferris 2nd round match-up being the closest one. NCAA seems to always be more worried about costs at D-II then rewarding teams properly based on performance.
                              I thought of this late last night.

The counter would be, who has GV beaten?

I obviously don't agree with the ratings and believe I was correct this entire time, but I was just presenting the counter argument.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsThortonMelon View Post
                                You need to use the more accurate D2Football.com poll where GV is ranked.....nevermind. ;)

The current goal is to pick the best seven teams in each region. No one would honestly say it's the best 28 in the country. I am hearing that there is a push to change and that's a great thing.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X