Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tip79 View Post
    I remember those too. They should have also beaten MSU at Van Andel. Missed/bad call by ref on MSU over and back cost them the game.
    That one is a sore subject for me, haha. As an undergrad I was always showing up to GV basketball games with a vuvuzela and standing in the student section using that dumb thing while on defense and opponents were shooting free throws.

When they played MSU at Van Andel, I called Van Andel Arena and asked if I could bring my vuvuzela. They said yes, and also said that they sold them for Griffins games, so it was definitely allowed. I brought it, used it for the first 30 minutes of the game. GV was winning, MSU was crumbling, I used it during an MSU free throw and MSU missed. Next thing you know, an announcement comes over the PA saying that artificial noisemakers weren't allowed, they came and took it away, and then useless sack of skin Bill Simonsen on the Huge Show the next day was talking about how disrespectful GV fans were bringing horns to the game. Eat ****, Bill!
    2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

• I'm sure the complaint was from the MSU AD. He was so pissed they were losing. He was heatedly talking directly with refs. I think his talk had a an effect on the officiating.

Comment

• Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

That one is a sore subject for me, haha. As an undergrad I was always showing up to GV basketball games with a vuvuzela and standing in the student section using that dumb thing while on defense and opponents were shooting free throws.

When they played MSU at Van Andel, I called Van Andel Arena and asked if I could bring my vuvuzela. They said yes, and also said that they sold them for Griffins games, so it was definitely allowed. I brought it, used it for the first 30 minutes of the game. GV was winning, MSU was crumbling, I used it during an MSU free throw and MSU missed. Next thing you know, an announcement comes over the PA saying that artificial noisemakers weren't allowed, they came and took it away, and then useless sack of skin Bill Simonsen on the Huge Show the next day was talking about how disrespectful GV fans were bringing horns to the game. Eat ****, Bill!
        Van Andel is our barn, or at least in our town. Should have been told to sit on it. But VA probably wanted to keep a good relations with MSU in case of MSU ever wanting to use VA for some other event in the future.

Comment

• Welp. I think GVSU may have just missed the bus on reclassifying to D1. Got a feeling D2 is where things are gonna stay.

That was allegedly sent out this week to member institutions, according to Nicole Auerbach, senior writer for The Athletic: https://twitter.com/NicoleAuerbach/s...49597399191555
          Last edited by KleShreen; 03-10-2022, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Welp. I think GVSU may have just missed the bus on reclassifying to D1. Got a feeling D2 is where things are gonna stay.
            I understand that one of the changes under consideration is lowering the transition period from 4 years to 2 years for post-season eligibility.

Comment

• Originally posted by JakeTAMUC View Post

I understand that one of the changes under consideration is lowering the transition period from 4 years to 2 years for post-season eligibility.
              There shouldn't be any transition period for post-season eligibility, IMO, unless it is a school moving down. What's the reason behind not being eligible for the post-season upon moving up? Moving down would make sense, because you have a school that recruited a bunch of D1 athletes with a higher scholarship number now moving down to D2 or D3 and they'll overwhelm their opponents for a couple years while those athletes filter out. But if you're moving up? It doesn't make sense. If a D2 school moves up to D1 and can make the national tournament in year one or two, they should be applauded, not penalized.

Comment

• I think that probation time (post season play) is just a hurdle to slow the progress and desire of schools wanting to move up. I don't think that in general, the NCAA, (Div 1 schools) are looking for additional members. Sure a conference or 3 are looking, but for the most part, it's more of a musical chairs approach with the conferences. So, seeing detours or hurdles to move up is IMO, not accidental.

Comment

• Originally posted by Redwing View Post
                  I think that probation time (post season play) is just a hurdle to slow the progress and desire of schools wanting to move up. I don't think that in general, the NCAA, (Div 1 schools) are looking for additional members. Sure a conference or 3 are looking, but for the most part, it's more of a musical chairs approach with the conferences. So, seeing detours or hurdles to move up is IMO, not accidental.
                  That right there. Lot of places think that all they gotta do is jump up and in no time they're going to be rolling in that sweet Tournament money. Making it where a school would have to wait 4 years is just a hurdle for a school to move up, have them take a sober look at how they are really going to afford to make the move up and afford it.

Comment

What's the reason behind not being eligible for the post-season upon moving up?
                    Having kids on the roster that would not have been D1 eligible out of high school.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brandon View Post

Having kids on the roster that would not have been D1 eligible out of high school.
                      Oh yeah, there's that. D1 athletic eliablity standards are a little bit tougher.

But now with all athletes being able to easily transfer via the transfer portal, I don't think that they have to worry so much about some poor kid who signed on to play ball at a D2 school, only had the grades to be D2, and wouldn't past the mustard yet to be D1 eleiable.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                        Oh yeah, there's that. D1 athletic eliablity standards are a little bit tougher.

But now with all athletes being able to easily transfer via the transfer portal, I don't think that they have to worry so much about some poor kid who signed on to play ball at a D2 school, only had the grades to be D2, and wouldn't past the mustard yet to be D1 eleiable.
                        wow

Comment

• Originally posted by Brandon View Post

Also in the way that the scholarship numbers work, in some schools they would actually have to cut the number of kids that are getting money.

Comment

• Originally posted by UFOILERFAN View Post

wow
                            It was late....

Comment

• Originally posted by Redwing View Post
                              I think that probation time (post season play) is just a hurdle to slow the progress and desire of schools wanting to move up. I don't think that in general, the NCAA, (Div 1 schools) are looking for additional members. Sure a conference or 3 are looking, but for the most part, it's more of a musical chairs approach with the conferences. So, seeing detours or hurdles to move up is IMO, not accidental.
                              The real answer is $$$$$$$$$$$. The way the NCAA revenue model works, the NCAA member schools at the D1 level don't want more D1 schools in the division. There are a lot of different pieces to the NCAA revenue pie, but the basic idea is that the NCAA has a certain amount of money set aside in each fund for each level. D1 has by far the most and largest funding levels. For many of those levels, the pie is divided based on the number of teams and even the number of scholarship athletes each program has. If you increase the number of schools, or the number of scholarship athletes, the schools lose money because the pie is divided into that many more pieces.

There is only 1 athletic performance based piece to the funding pie, and that is the NCAA tourney. The tourney revenue is divided into shares, which are sent to the conference. Each share is paid for the current year and the following 5 years (total of 6 years). Each conference earns 1 share for each game a member school plays in, with the exception of the national title game (sorry UNC and Kansas). Each share is worth just under $389,000 dollars. When you consider that those shares are paid for 6 years, that means each game player earns a conference just over $2,000,000 over those 6 years. Each conference can then split the money according to their own formula. Using this year's tourney, the run for the St. Peter's Peacocks, earned their conference, the MAAC, 4 shares. Each year the MAAC will get $2,000,000 for the performance of St. Peter's. For a small conference that money is a decent amount of money. If you assume the MAAC uses a slit similar to what other smaller conferences supposedly do, the money is split up based on the number of members. The tourney revenue would be split 13 ways (2 shares for the conference office, 1 share for each of the schools. That means each year, a MAAC member would get $153,000. If the MAAC decided to add a 12th member that money would be split additionally and would now be only $142,000 per year. That might not seems like a lot of money, but remember a few things. This is just one of several funding methods from the NCAA to the schools, and $10,000 is a lot of money to a small D1 school.

Another factor is scheduling. Adding another opponent for a smaller conference school could potentially take away a game against a Power 5 opponent who will pay you to come be fodder for them. A game like that could be you bring in $60000 instead of playing a home conference game in front of 1,500 fans, half of whom didn't even pay admission because they are students.

D1 schools really don't want to change the number of members because they often lose money because of new members coming in. Very few moves up put a school in a better financial place than they were at the D2 level.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X