Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheGreatestLaker2019 View Post
    I still think us going to FCS is a bad fit. I hope it's a transitory move and we can go to the MAC in a decade or so.
    I can see where you are coming from.. Obviously any fan of a team would want to see them move up as high as they can. But moving to the MAC has two distinct disadvantages.

1. We would have to compete against CMU, WMU, and EMU for the MAC level talent in Michigan. We would still have to some with FCS but there would be much less.
    2. We wouldnt be able to compete for a National Title. I think this is the biggest turn off. Playing in the MAC is a miserable life style. They have to get their ass beat for the first 3 weeks of the season, then they play for a conference championship and a hopeful bowl game (Which are slowly dying because of the CFP).

Again, if your end goal is to end up like a Cincinnati and move your way up over a long period of time and get national recognition I dont hate it. I just dont think that will ever happen at GV but I dont think your view is wrong. But if MAC is the highest we would ever go I dont like it.

Comment

Originally posted by GV Retired Bum View Post

I can see where you are coming from.. Obviously any fan of a team would want to see them move up as high as they can. But moving to the MAC has two distinct disadvantages.

1. We would have to compete against CMU, WMU, and EMU for the MAC level talent in Michigan. We would still have to some with FCS but there would be much less.
      2. We wouldnt be able to compete for a National Title. I think this is the biggest turn off. Playing in the MAC is a miserable life style. They have to get their ass beat for the first 3 weeks of the season, then they play for a conference championship and a hopeful bowl game (Which are slowly dying because of the CFP).

Again, if your end goal is to end up like a Cincinnati and move your way up over a long period of time and get national recognition I dont hate it. I just dont think that will ever happen at GV but I dont think your view is wrong. But if MAC is the highest we would ever go I dont like it.
      Yea, I don't think there's much dispute that if you are in FBS football and not in a P5 conference, you are in a dead zone. You're not existing to win a title at that point. I'm not even sure why those schools have a football team at that point. If you're a competitive person, there's no reason to ever go to any non-P5 school in FBS unless you think you have an NFL chance. But at that point, just go FCS or D-II, you'll get noticed.

The thing that is interesting right now though is what happens if the P5 schools end up breaking off to do their own thing. If that happens, I could see the non-P5 FBS schools and the entire FCS level join forces to be one large division. *That* is very intriguing to me.
      2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

I would argue that SDSU and USD have had more football success at FCS than they ever did at D-II.
        There is no argument. You're correct.

I think it's an easier decision for schools like those two, Incarnate Word, Tarleton, that have really done nothing at their current level. All they've done is reclassify so that they brag about losing to New Mexico State instead of New Mexico Highlands. It's a much harder decision for schools like Grand Valley.

Comment

Originally posted by GV Retired Bum View Post

I guess to me FCS is just uninteresting, and kind of the worst of both worlds. We have no close rivals in FCS unless someone moves up with us. I get fired up for Battle of The Valleys and the Anchor Bone, I couldn't give less of a **** if we play Tennessee State every year. All the other sports have to go d1 too so our burgeoning basketball program goes back to being irrelevant and maybe hoping to slip in as a 16 seed one year. I'd rather stay d2 and keep all our local rivalries and get a modicum of success in all sports, or eventually go MAC and make new rivalries with the directional schools + get the games on TV and maybe go to a bowl game.

I am hoping if we go d1 that the rumors of us adding a d1 hockey team are true. I would be all in on keeping Anchor Bone alive through that + still playing all the UP schools

Comment

I guess to me FCS is just uninteresting, and kind of the worst of both worlds. We have no close rivals in FCS unless someone moves up with us. I get fired up for Battle of The Valleys and the Anchor Bone, I couldn't give less of a **** if we play Tennessee State every year. All the other sports have to go d1 too so our burgeoning basketball program goes back to being irrelevant and maybe hoping to slip in as a 16 seed one year. I'd rather stay d2 and keep all our local rivalries and get a modicum of success in all sports, or eventually go MAC and make new rivalries with the directional schools + get the games on TV and maybe go to a bowl game.

I am hoping if we go d1 that the rumors of us adding a d1 hockey team are true. I would be all in on keeping Anchor Bone alive through that + still playing all the UP schools
            Hockey is the most expensive sport behind football. I don't see how that would be feasible, especially when they're adding wrestling and are already underfunded on a per-student basis compared to the rest of the public schools in Michigan.

Not to mention it would require either both a men's and women's team, or it would require another women's sport to be added to comply with Title IX.
            Last edited by KleShreen; 12-02-2021, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Completely understand. It would suck to lose the rivals that we have been facing for many years. I just hate the idea of never competing for National Championships. Maybe KleShreen ideas of the Power 5 schools leaving the NCAA would create a better opportunity. I know it sounds far fetched but I think with how poorly the NCAA is ran and the new NIL rules we will see some sort of change in the coming years.

Comment

Matt Brown says the hangup is that the OVC is only offering a football-only invitation and they haven't gotten an invitation from a D1 conference for other sports.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post
                  Matt Brown says the hangup is that the OVC is only offering a football-only invitation and they haven't gotten an invitation from a D1 conference for other sports.
                  Where did you see that? I see where he tweeted out the Lanthorn article, but no comment about conference offers.

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

Where did you see that? I see where he tweeted out the Lanthorn article, but no comment about conference offers.
                    It was on the CSNBBS conference realignment forums. https://csnbbs.com/thread-929793-pos...ml#pid17911714

Comment

Originally posted by Redwing View Post
                      Anyone find it odd that there's not one thread or post here about the upcoming game Saturday? Kind of reflects a touch about the GLIAC. And frankly, I don't blame the posters a bit.
                      I would've started a thread but the MIAA guys beat me to it. I don't see the need to have two threads for one game.

Comment

As an outsider, I think GVSU has a few options.

MVC and Horizon being the most straight forward.
                        OVC seems an unreasonable distance.
                        And given GVSU size, its not that much of a stretch to inquire of the MAC should be an outside option given the lack of MAC members fielding men's sports. (Avg 6.3 mens sports; Avg 10.3 women sports) But would GVSU want to put themselves in that situation, depends on what they want for FB and BB.

I think the Horizon would be the best option, similar to Youngstown State (Horizon League / MVFC football)

Comment

If UIC is leaving the Horizon League, it would seem like a no-brainer to add GVSU considering it's directly in the middle of their current footprint.
                          Last edited by BeachinLaker; 12-02-2021, 04:09 PM.

Comment

I'm simultaneously encouraged and worried that no one has heard anything about Ferris moving up. On one hand, I feel like the administration and fans are happy with where Ferris is right now in most sports. On the other, I would really rather not be the one without a chair when the music stops.

Comment

Originally posted by Mk63NuclearBomb View Post
                              I'm simultaneously encouraged and worried that no one has heard anything about Ferris moving up. On one hand, I feel like the administration and fans are happy with where Ferris is right now in most sports. On the other, I would really rather not be the one without a chair when the music stops.
                              I just dont see how they can support the funding requirements to make that move. They definitely have the talent to make the move, hopefully they dont get screwed over by the GLIAC being incompetent

Comment

Originally posted by Mk63NuclearBomb View Post
                                I think paying for that would likely require dropping hockey. Football would see the largest increase in scholarships and as Kle said, hockey is your next most expensive sport.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X