X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tip79 View Post
    According to Wikipedia they are not D2.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...tball_programs
    Looks legit. I wonder why so many D2 teams are hosting them? Must be tough to get games? Lincoln will travel and play anyone but it's disappointing that any D2 or FCS school has to get these guys to fill in the schedule.
    And as an aside, I'm still unclear if for POs if it's better to play an 0 for school or just don't play a D2 team and have that "open opponent/date". True, the W/L percent will be impacted, but so will SOS.. and who knows about the other metrics.

Comment

Originally posted by crixus View Post

At least Lincoln's academics are in good standing, since 2020 that is. They're now accredited with WASC Senior College and University Commission. But paying to play football, I wouldn't do it. There's an independent JUCO here in SoCal that does the same thing. And they play all road games, just like Lincoln does.

??????*The WASC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC) is a regional accrediting agency for colleges and universities that award bachelor's degrees or more advanced degrees. It originally and still primarily accredits institutions in California, Hawaii, and the Pacific, as well as a limited number of institutions outside the U.S. WSCUC is recognized by the U.S. Department of Education as certifying institutional eligibility for federal funding in a number of programs, including student access to federal financial aid.
      Ehh... I mean before that they were accredited by ACICS, which is a huge red flag. I believe they're still on a DOE watchlist for accusations (solid ones) that they were bringing in foreign students and essentially abandoning them after collecting the cash. The owner, er... "president" is strange too. Nothing about this place passes the smell test.

With all the great education in the Bay Area, this school should be the last choice for students. Their "campus" is a tiny two-story bank building wedged in a shady part of San Francisco, afterall. I think you can get your checks cashed next door.

That being said, the school is quite old - 103 years or so. The one out I gave them in my original conclusion is that they could be using athletics as a way to shore up academics that have been neglected heavily over the past 20 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwing View Post

I've read and heard that they indeed are a D2 Independent. I don't know where one can find it officially, but they are referred to as D2 in several schools write ups when they are announced as the opponent. 2021 is indicated as their first season. Could they and their opponents just be making it up? You seem to be fairly well plugged in. Do you know otherwise? Don't they have to be something and if so what? Or can any schools just get a bunch of students together and go play another college?

I admit, it's not crystal clear with these guys.
        Incorrect. This school is not D2 in any way shape or form. They said they were in the past, but that does not make it so.

And for the bolded, yes. It happens. I've seen some strange ones.

Comment

Here is Lincoln University in its entirety.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post

Count in what sense? They're not D2 at all.
            I looked at the NCAA's own institution list and they do not show up as an NCAA member in any division, which was why I asked the question in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by chapmaja View Post

I looked at the NCAA's own institution list and they do not show up as an NCAA member in any division, which was why I asked the question in the first place.
              What a bizarre situation. It's almost like the 1800s when you'd see some of the first football programs playing area club teams and high school teams.

Comment

There was some talk on the NAIA boards about Lincoln and whether they could be future NAIA, here is the link
                <p>It's been pointed out on a different board that the NAIA website has Johnson listed an an AAC member. Arkansas Baptist is listed...

Comment

Originally posted by BeachinLaker View Post

What a bizarre situation. It's almost like the 1800s when you'd see some of the first football programs playing area club teams and high school teams.
                  It is very bizarre. I hope the GVSU and NCAA legal departments have looked at this. If a player were to get hurt, I would want to make sure the schools insurance would cover the injury treatment. I might seem like a strange thing to think about, but different insurance coverages have different rules regarding what they will cover. I know the NCAA's coverage will cover contests between NCAA schools, as well as with teams from other sponsoring organizations (NAIA, USCAA, NCCAA). I don't know how they handle NCAA schools playing non-organizational sponsored teams, like Lincoln appears to be.

I do know that the NCAA's coverage also extends to member schools participation in non-intercollegiate sponsored events, such as an NCAA student athlete participating in the USATF or USA Swimming championship meets whilre representing their institution (insurance coverage actually falls under the sponsoring organization from what I understand, as the athlete must be a member of that association to participate).

Comment

I know Gary Payton is their men's basketball coach. lol
                    2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

There's a whole thread about them in the GNAC board. tl;dr, the school is essentially a scam - they are not affiliated with any conference, division, or association, and are essentially just playing whoever will schedule them.

On their website they have a form where players can essentially buy their spot on the team. Would like to see them go 0-10 and exit the college football landscape, but they'll likely pick off one of these schools and play again next year.

EDIT: Apparently I've gone 7 months without realizing the GNAC no longer sponsors football - maybe the thread was merged into the LSC board.

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post
                        I know Gary Payton is their men's basketball coach. lol
                        That one is a curiosity. I have a hunch I know where that money is coming from, but I'm not certain.

If you want some interesting reading, check out the president of the university.

Comment

Yeah, I followed Lincoln for part of last season. They were getting wrecked left and right. They somehow got a game against SFA, which does not benefit them at all - so odd.

I almost wonder if there aren't some pay-for-play deals happening here. I think they even scraped out a win, somehow - though it was against a D3 team I'd never heard of before.

A lot of these guys are JUCO transfers that didn't get much of a chance elsewhere, and were effectively conned into coming to school here.

Comment

Originally posted by BeachinLaker View Post
                            Here is Lincoln University in its entirety.
                            Well it looks like they have on campus parking anyway so there is that!

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

Ehh... I mean before that they were accredited by ACICS, which is a huge red flag. I believe they're still on a DOE watchlist for accusations (solid ones) that they were bringing in foreign students and essentially abandoning them after collecting the cash. The owner, er... "president" is strange too. Nothing about this place passes the smell test.

With all the great education in the Bay Area, this school should be the last choice for students. Their "campus" is a tiny two-story bank building wedged in a shady part of San Francisco, afterall. I think you can get your checks cashed next door.

That being said, the school is quite old - 103 years or so. The one out I gave them in my original conclusion is that they could be using athletics as a way to shore up academics that have been neglected heavily over the past 20 years.
                              Lincoln University was founded in San Francisco, but they relocated across the Bay to Oakland in 1999. Err...that's why their team is called the Oaklanders.

??????
                              ?????
                              Last edited by crixus; 06-21-2022, 03:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by champgymusa View Post

Well it looks like they have on campus parking anyway so there is that!
                                According to Lincoln's website, there's a subway station and bus routes just one block from campus which helps. And they have student housing in Alameda, a neighboring city to Oakland.

????
                                Last edited by crixus; 06-21-2022, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X