Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

USC and UCLA to the Big Ten. What impacts could this have on d2?

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USC and UCLA to the Big Ten. What impacts could this have on d2?

FBS football is realigning in a way I don't think most of us would have seen as possible. PAC 12 looks to be on the verge of collapse, with USC and UCLA officially joining the Big 10, and Notre Dame (!), Stanford, Washington, and Oregon rumored to be not far behind. The Big 12 is supposedly going after Utah, Colorado, Arizona, and Arizona State. We haven't seen a reshuffling like this before.

My question is, how do y'all think this will impact d2? There's been a lot of talk recently about the GLIAC's woes, with schools leaving or considering going d1. Do you think more schools getting poached might lead some g5 schools to raid FCS and d2 schools? Will the Big 10 and SEC disaffiliate from the NCAA and create their own league, leaving room for more schools in NCAA d1? What do you think?

D1 shuffles can lead to moves down the line. Honestly dont think that there will me much initally, but there probably will be. Most likely scenairio is that it pushed ferris and GVSU up to division 1, which frankly I think was gonna happen anyway, just may quicken the process

Comment

My hope is that this leads to an end goal of the Power conference schools forming their own league, and then the Group conference schools combining with FCS to exist in their own league.
      2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

I think it creates more questions than provides direction. I think we all need to remember that although football is the biggest dog, this impacts all the sports. With that, I don't know how the schools and the NCAA would address the breaking off from NCAA for just football. Maybe just the classifications for football gets changed? Like Kle mentioned, then the non-power conf. teams and FCS combine? And d/2/3 remain more or less untouched. With that, how does that impact all the other sports for the power conf. and the rest? No answers from me.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwing View Post
          I think it creates more questions than provides direction. I think we all need to remember that although football is the biggest dog, this impacts all the sports. With that, I don't know how the schools and the NCAA would address the breaking off from NCAA for just football. Maybe just the classifications for football gets changed? Like Kle mentioned, then the non-power conf. teams and FCS combine? And d/2/3 remain more or less untouched. With that, how does that impact all the other sports for the power conf. and the rest? No answers from me.
          Yea the stuff I've heard on sports radio kinda just mentions football breaking off on its own. However, I would kind of submit that it can probably apply to all sports. With very few exceptions in non-revenue sports, usually the power five schools are the ones winning the titles every year. I think if they wanted, the entire programs could all break away in to their own group. I would submit that if that happened, though, they can't play any of the remaining NCAA schools. They should all have to only play against each other.

Comment

Most likely is that OVC will need members to survive if they lose more and want to be a conference. Most ideal would to get into Horizon/MVFC if they lose members, can't see Oakland & Mercy wanting to include Wayne in such an invite. If Missouri State moves up, could be one spot in the MVC.

Comment

Originally posted by D2Ohio View Post
              Most likely is that OVC will need members to survive if they lose more and want to be a conference. Most ideal would to get into Horizon/MVFC if they lose members, can't see Oakland & Mercy wanting to include Wayne in such an invite. If Missouri State moves up, could be one spot in the MVC.
              The thing is that right now the Big Ten and SEC are content with taking teams from other Power Five programs. Either the ACC is going to get raided, or they somehow swipe a couple of schools themselves to stay in the game. Like West Virginia, Louisville, Memphis. Not a lot of other conferences are looking at MAC schools right now,

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post

The thing is that right now the Big Ten and SEC are content with taking teams from other Power Five programs. Either the ACC is going to get raided, or they somehow swipe a couple of schools themselves to stay in the game. Like West Virginia, Louisville, Memphis. Not a lot of other conferences are looking at MAC schools right now,
                The MAC trickle down would probably be Buffalo to an upper tier G5, WKU declining spot (which I don't think they would), Youngstown St to MAC, GVSU to Horizon.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by D2Ohio View Post

The MAC trickle down would probably be Buffalo to an upper tier G5, WKU declining spot (which I don't think they would), Youngstown St to MAC, GVSU to Horizon.
                    The Horizon doesn't want GVSU.

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

The Horizon doesn't want GVSU.
                      Don't see why they wouldn't, we would be within their footprint and give them access to GR and using Van Andel for stuff. We would probably need a new basketball arena on campus, and maybe a few other things like a brand new pool for aquatic sports, but they could want us. The real issue for GVSU is football, and with the Horizon not having football, that's kind of a mark against them. They would probably worry that we would jump to another D1 conference that offered us a spot with decent FCS football within it.

Comment

Crazy idea that I've seen, but its just kinda crazy enough to work. ACC goes all out and gets ND to join their football program into the ACC. For the Irish, it would be the ultimate screw you big ten move. And for the ACC, it practically gives them a seat at the super conference table with the Big Ten and the SEC. They go out and get West Virginia, Cincinnati, and one other school, and they should be insulated enough to not worry about a school leaving the ACC, especially with that 50 million exit feet to have to pay out.

Comment

Don't see why they wouldn't, we would be within their footprint and give them access to GR and using Van Andel for stuff. We would probably need a new basketball arena on campus, and maybe a few other things like a brand new pool for aquatic sports, but they could want us. The real issue for GVSU is football, and with the Horizon not having football, that's kind of a mark against them. They would probably worry that we would jump to another D1 conference that offered us a spot with decent FCS football within it.
                          Detroit and Oakland do not want GV in the Horizon. The entire conference knows GV will run roughshod over it within five years in every sport.

Comment

Crazy idea that I've seen, but its just kinda crazy enough to work. ACC goes all out and gets ND to join their football program into the ACC. For the Irish, it would be the ultimate screw you big ten move. And for the ACC, it practically gives them a seat at the super conference table with the Big Ten and the SEC. They go out and get West Virginia, Cincinnati, and one other school, and they should be insulated enough to not worry about a school leaving the ACC, especially with that 50 million exit feet to have to pay out.
                            I really don't think it's that crazy of an idea. I'm not sure who that one other school would be though. I don't see FSU and Miami letting UCF in. And I don't see the North Carolina schools letting someone like App in despite the fact App is the best football program in the state lol.

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

Detroit and Oakland do not want GV in the Horizon. The entire conference knows GV will run roughshod over it within five years in every sport.
                              Beyond Bellarmine as speculated, who would be the next target for the Horizon if they would want to get back to even 12 to replace UIC?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X