Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roosevelt isn't even an average NAIA member. The addition of Roosevelt will shatter the GLIAC, no additional NAIA members will want to team with Roosevelt. This move is going to encourage more GLIAC losses.

Either GVSU and a few others have already indicated they are leaving and the league is trying to remake itself as an NAIA league, or it is desperation in leadership.

Comment

Originally posted by stealth View Post
      Roosevelt isn't even an average NAIA member. The addition of Roosevelt will shatter the GLIAC, no additional NAIA members will want to team with Roosevelt. This move is going to encourage more GLIAC losses.

Either GVSU and a few others have already indicated they are leaving and the league is trying to remake itself as an NAIA league, or it is desperation in leadership.
      I do not think it is quite so doom and gloom. GVSU and Ferris will probably leave sooner or later. I just think their hang-up is mostly in not having a true fit in FCS as the conference with the most needs is the Ohio Valley, but their true geographic fit would be the Missouri Valley. Roosevelt and any further NAIA additions can fill in that gap if handled well, especially if they pair it with Lewis from the GLVC.

Comment

I think its a little ignorant to think that Roosevelt got involved with the GLIAC without taking into consideration the travel necessary. The decision to apply to D2 is no small task. Now it could easily fail if they dont get approved next July. Also, people suggesting that Ferris would leave - where on earth would they go? They (and SVSU for that matter) have far fewer resources than GVSU, who will leave eventually its just a matter of when and where.

Comment

Originally posted by stealth View Post

The GLIAC is already shattered. Roosevelt is nothing more than a store brand band-aid that won't stick beyond the first sign of water.

Not every addition to fill the gaps is a good one and I firmly believe adding NAIA schools at this point in college athletics will only further weaken the conference. They'll also pull the same move as the rest and up and leave the second they realize they can't compete on the field or in the financial books.

Comment

Originally posted by BeachinLaker View Post

The GLIAC is already shattered. Roosevelt is nothing more than a store brand band-aid that won't stick beyond the first sign of water.

Not every addition to fill the gaps is a good one and I firmly believe adding NAIA schools at this point in college athletics will only further weaken the conference. They'll also pull the same move as the rest and up and leave the second they realize they can't compete on the field or in the financial books.
            Wait, why is adding NAIA schools bad? What is the alternative? There's only so many D-II schools to go around. So at some point there have to be new schools to grab. NAIA is better than D-III, since the NAIA schools already have scholarships built in to their budget.
            2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

Wait, why is adding NAIA schools bad? What is the alternative? There's only so many D-II schools to go around. So at some point there have to be new schools to grab. NAIA is better than D-III, since the NAIA schools already have scholarships built in to their budget.
              My point exactly. If the conference needs more schools, where else are you going to get them from? The MIAA is a really solid DIII conference in Michigan and schools do not seem to leave it, and there is not exactly any current DII schools beating down the door for GLIAC membership anymore.

Comment

Curiosity got the better of me. Did some research.

Definitely a unique school. It looks like they primarily operate out of three buildings right on Michigan Ave (the historic Auditorium Theatre, a 32-story tower, and their athletic center). Tiny campus, but super expensive real-estate. From a sports perspective, it looks like only basketball and volleyball are on campus. Baseball is in Crestwood, Football and Soccer are in Arlington Heights, Softball is in Rosemont. Other minor sports seem to be at venues in the city.

Not your typical Midwest D2 campus for-sure, but I'm sure GLIAC basketball teams and volleyball teams will like getting a taste of downtown. The campus is literally walking distance from many of Chicago's biggest landmarks. Unfortunately, the other sports won't be quite as lucky - as they will fight big city traffic only to play at off-campus rent-a-fields.

Comment

When I was in school (mid/late 70s) GVSU was NAIA. You need to start someplace.

Comment

Comment

I have to agree this is a pathetic addition and shows how desperate the GLIAC has become. Roosevelt? Pretty sure they forfeited 2 games last year. Adding a 4-6 NAIA team with no facilities to speak of seems a sad move for a once proud conference. Did the good NAIA teams with decent facilities turn them down? I know they were trying to replace a terrible Northwood program but even Northwood beats Roosevelt by 30+ points.

Comment

I personally don't know this is as bad an addition as people think.

First, regarding travel to the UP schools, Roosevelt to MTU is 6 hours 39 minutes (GVSU to MTU is over 8 hours), to NMU is 6 hours 13 minutes (GVSU is 6 hours and 26 minutes), to LSSU is 7 hours and 1 minute (GVSU is 4 hours 32 minutes). The difference is not as significant as people seem to think for the UP trips. Roosevelt will also have trips of 2 hours or more less than GVSU to UWP and and almost 2 hours less to Purdue Northwest. Yes, overall when WSU, SVSU and Ferris are included, the drives for Roosevelt will be longer, but I don't think travel will be as excessively more as people think.

Next, if Roosevelt wants to move up to DII (and obviously they do), they really have only two options, the GLVC and the GLIAC. While we are talking about the GLIAC and travel distances, for Roosevelt, the GLIAC not as significantly longer in terms of travel as people think it is. In fact, with the exception of Lewis (equivalent to Purdue NW), the GLVC's next closest opponent would be either Illinois Springfield (3 hours 1 minute), and Indianapolis ( 3 hours 6 minutes). The longer GLVC trips would be 7 hours 35 minutes (Drury) and 7 hours 43 minutes (SW Baptist) and several trips would be longer then 7 hours. The longest GLIAC trip would be LSSU at 7 hours, with the UP's over 6. The nest longest GLIAC trip would be to SVSU and that is under 5 hours.

Finally, Roosevelt just made a basketball hire which may end up making the school desirable for local high school kids. Dee Brown, a somewhat local guy who in the NBA was recently named as the head basketball coach at Roosevelt. This is the type of addition to a program that has the potential to move the needle for a school. He played on the Chicago AAU circuit, knows the area (previously an assistant at UIC) and has NBA experience as well as international playing experience.

As for overall fit, they have many of the programs that the GLIAC offers athletically, so they are a good fit from that standpoint. They even have some programs that will have to find outside conference affiliation, like men's volleyball and bowling.

I can say, having seen one of their sports play, they will need some upgrades to their programs to be competitive, but I said the same thing about Davenport when they moved up, and they have become competitive in several sports.

Comment

Another miss? At some point you are in a position of needing to pick up members because schools are leaving, not joining the conference. As for the reasons mentioned above, including travel, I think the school sought out the GLIAC rather than the GLIAC actively seeking out Roosevelt. When you are in the position the GLIAC is in, you really can't be beggars about who applies to join you.

Comment

Originally posted by Uindy18 View Post

Agreed. The standing NAIA candidates are basically any of the Chicagoland football schools (Judson, Saint Xavier, Olivet Nazarene, Saint Francis [IL], Trinity International,) the Michigan NAIAs (Lawrence Tech, Siena Heights, Madonna, and Concordia). Essentially, the MSFA becomes the farm system for NCAA DII football in the Midwest. As an Indiana guy, I am rooting for Uindy and the Indiana side of the MSFA (Marian, Saint Francis [IN], Taylor, Indiana Wesleyan) to the GMAC too.
                            Concordia to the GLIAC would be a bad idea, at this time. Remember this is a school that had to be merged into Concordia University Wisconsin within the last decade just to keep it afloat because it was in serious danger of folding completely. While they have done a nice job turning things around, they still have that history and the fact they are a campus of another out of state system.

Comment

Originally posted by chapmaja View Post
                              I personally don't know this is as bad an addition as people think.

First, regarding travel to the UP schools, Roosevelt to MTU is 6 hours 39 minutes (GVSU to MTU is over 8 hours), to NMU is 6 hours 13 minutes (GVSU is 6 hours and 26 minutes), to LSSU is 7 hours and 1 minute (GVSU is 4 hours 32 minutes). The difference is not as significant as people seem to think for the UP trips. Roosevelt will also have trips of 2 hours or more less than GVSU to UWP and and almost 2 hours less to Purdue Northwest. Yes, overall when WSU, SVSU and Ferris are included, the drives for Roosevelt will be longer, but I don't think travel will be as excessively more as people think.

Next, if Roosevelt wants to move up to DII (and obviously they do), they really have only two options, the GLVC and the GLIAC. While we are talking about the GLIAC and travel distances, for Roosevelt, the GLIAC not as significantly longer in terms of travel as people think it is. In fact, with the exception of Lewis (equivalent to Purdue NW), the GLVC's next closest opponent would be either Illinois Springfield (3 hours 1 minute), and Indianapolis ( 3 hours 6 minutes). The longer GLVC trips would be 7 hours 35 minutes (Drury) and 7 hours 43 minutes (SW Baptist) and several trips would be longer then 7 hours. The longest GLIAC trip would be LSSU at 7 hours, with the UP's over 6. The nest longest GLIAC trip would be to SVSU and that is under 5 hours.

Finally, Roosevelt just made a basketball hire which may end up making the school desirable for local high school kids. Dee Brown, a somewhat local guy who in the NBA was recently named as the head basketball coach at Roosevelt. This is the type of addition to a program that has the potential to move the needle for a school. He played on the Chicago AAU circuit, knows the area (previously an assistant at UIC) and has NBA experience as well as international playing experience.

As for overall fit, they have many of the programs that the GLIAC offers athletically, so they are a good fit from that standpoint. They even have some programs that will have to find outside conference affiliation, like men's volleyball and bowling.

I can say, having seen one of their sports play, they will need some upgrades to their programs to be competitive, but I said the same thing about Davenport when they moved up, and they have become competitive in several sports.
                              I don't think the Dee Brown basketball hire really means much in this case. He won't be the coach there by the time they are full D-II members. They're just a stepping stone along the way for him.

The travel thing, I brought up, specifically because I know that Roosevelt has been struggling financially as a university for quite a while now. So it just seems like it will be another strain on their finances. Hopefully, you're right, it won't be a big deal, but I'm skeptical in that regard.
                              2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

I think we get way too far ahead of ourselves when we think about potential GLIAC members and what that pool looks like - who is actually available and interested in joining? The list is VERY slim. A lot of schools mentioned on this thread i have to believe are very happy with their current situation. You don't just change conferences overnight - it is a long and sometimes painful process for many when you think about giving up or trading relationships with your former league mates. Overall, I think we grossly overstate how many schools are actually available for the taking. Seems to be that Roosevelt is attempting to change things around there and improve themselves and i just hope they understand what it entails - especially hearing they have some financial troubles. But then again most schools are hurting at this point over the last couple years. The GLIAC is in trouble and has been for some time now and if they do add a handful of other NAIAs in the Chicagoland area is that such a bad thing? It's definitely not ideal but gaining members (no matter who they are) is eons better than losing members! We all know that, but it remains to be seen the trickle down effect of this whole thing. Happy Monday, y'all!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X