Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is another possibility for the future regarding the GLIAC, and one that may not be as far off as people may think. There are still a regular number of teams making the jump from the NAIA to DII. I think it is possible that in the future, you will see entire, or nearly entire conferences make the jump from NAIA to the NCAA DII level.

One of the conferences I could see making that move is the WHAC, or at least the majority of the schools in the conference (Cleary would be the one I could see not jumping because of their small enrollment, even through they just announced the addition of men's and women's basketball.) What impact would this have on the GLIAC? I think you very well could see a huge shift in the entire Great Lakes region landscape if this were to happen.

If it were to happen, I think you would see a couple major changes happen alongside.

First, this would be the point the GLIAC schools in the LP very well could consider moving to DI, meaning GVSU, Ferris, Wayne State and SVSU. I think if the 4 schools all moved at the same time it would be attractive to the Horizon League which would then expand its footprint into other areas of Michigan (mainly GR), and increase the size of the conference from the current 11 members to 15 members, at which time the conference may also include Chicago State, bring the membership to 16 schools. Adding the GLIAC schools would create or resume several natural rivalries across sports, with Oakland-Wayne State resume their history from the days of the GLIAC. I could see a Horizon League with east and west divisions. The east division would be Robert Morris (Pa), Youngstown State, Cleveland St, Oakland, UofD Mercy, Wayne State, SVSU, and Ferris State. The west division would include GVSU, Chicago State, Purdue FW, IUPUI, Northern Kentucky, Wright State, UW-Milwaukee, and UW-Green Bay. (GVSU would go west because they are a more southern location than Ferris, and it would require either splitting GVSU-Ferris or NKU-Wright St. GVSU and Ferris, given their proximity would still be able to schedule non-conference games as needed against each other to help fill open schedule spots, and those contests would likely be fairly well attended, more so than an NKU-Wright St contest because those schools lack a natural history.

Beyond the shift of the public GLIAC schools to DI, I think you would see a shift of the private schools in Michigan to the WHAC, or likely the WHAC and GLIAC merge. Hillsdale and Northwood would leave the GMAC for the new WHAC-GLIAC thus significantly decreasing travel for their programs.

This would leave the UP schools and UW-Parkside on an island. I think they could stay with the GLIAC-WHAC schools, although I don't see those schools really wanting trips to the UP.

Comment

WOW, that's some really good weed you got there.

Comment

Originally posted by chapmaja View Post
        I think it is possible that in the future, you will see entire, or nearly entire conferences make the jump from NAIA to the NCAA DII level.
        ...That's happened close to a dozen times.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post

...That's happened close to a dozen times.
          My memory's not as good as it used to be can you cite some examples?

Comment

Originally posted by UFOILERFAN View Post

My memory's not as good as it used to be can you cite some examples?
            Lone Star c. 1981
            Most of the Central States Intercollegiate Conference c. 1989
            SAC c. 1991
            RMAC c. 1992
            Conference Carolinas c. 1995
            WVIAC c. 1995
            NSIC c. 1995
            Most of the Arkansas Intercollegiate Conference c. 1997
            Most of the Oklahoma Intercollegiate Conference c. 1998
            Most of the Heart of Texas Conference c. 1999
            CACC c. 2000
            Most of the Ohio wing of the American Mideast Conference c. 2010

D3 has quite a few examples as well.

Comment

Thank you

Comment

Pretty sure D2 stated in recent years no more conferences, so it would take a lot for something like that to even be possible.

Comment

If that is the case, I think exceptions probably could be made as D2 is thinning out quite a bit from expansion from D1 and there not being a ton of schools that want to or have the resources to move to D2.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim McElwain View Post
                    Pretty sure D2 stated in recent years no more conferences, so it would take a lot for something like that to even be possible.
                    I believe the cap is 24 conferences. There have been only 23 since the Heartland Conference folded in 2019.

Comment

The WHAC is a pretty strong conference with a core group of small private members with similar philosophies. I don't think they want to play public schools in a conference.

What I see happening is: a lot of strong D2 members are joining D1, especially in the great lakes/midwest. I would see the GLIAC members in the LP joining other former DIIs and forming an FCS coonference. You can't tell me LP GLIAC members are seeing Lindenwood, So. Indiana and Bellermine go DI and they aren't saying if they can do it, we can do it too. Especially if they are losing members in there DII conference.

As a GLIAC conference, they are scared they won't exist in a year or two, so they will cort any hobo off the street, but I don't think it will matter. GLIAC to D1 or bust.

Comment

I watched Roosevelt pound NAIA Mayville State (ND) 55-14 on Saturday. Many JC transfers for the Lakers.

Comment

Good luck GLIAC. Seems a lot of schools are more interested in the GMAC. However, the GLIAC retains two of DIIs premier members, and I don't have to name them here.

Comment

Originally posted by SVSUAlum View Post

I have to agree this is a pathetic addition and shows how desperate the GLIAC has become. Roosevelt? Pretty sure they forfeited 2 games last year. Adding a 4-6 NAIA team with no facilities to speak of seems a sad move for a once proud conference. Did the good NAIA teams with decent facilities turn them down? I know they were trying to replace a terrible Northwood program but even Northwood beats Roosevelt by 30+ points.
                            Plenty of schools forfeited games last year. Heck GVSU didn't get its home opener because Edinboro had the Covid going around their locker room. And Simon Frasier last year had teams cancel on them because teams had issues with players not being vaccinated to travel across the border, prompting SF to play some of their home games this year just over the border in Washington. last year was a misnomer.

and well, who else are we going to get to play GLIAC? None of the Michigan D3's would really be all that interested in jumping up to D2, and its not like we could make the MAC schools drop down to D2. Maybe D1-AA, but I'm not holding my breath on that happening. If they can get things squared away they would be an interesting road trip.

Comment

Originally posted by chapmaja View Post
                              Here is another possibility for the future regarding the GLIAC, and one that may not be as far off as people may think. There are still a regular number of teams making the jump from the NAIA to DII. I think it is possible that in the future, you will see entire, or nearly entire conferences make the jump from NAIA to the NCAA DII level.

One of the conferences I could see making that move is the WHAC, or at least the majority of the schools in the conference (Cleary would be the one I could see not jumping because of their small enrollment, even through they just announced the addition of men's and women's basketball.) What impact would this have on the GLIAC? I think you very well could see a huge shift in the entire Great Lakes region landscape if this were to happen.

If it were to happen, I think you would see a couple major changes happen alongside.

First, this would be the point the GLIAC schools in the LP very well could consider moving to DI, meaning GVSU, Ferris, Wayne State and SVSU. I think if the 4 schools all moved at the same time it would be attractive to the Horizon League which would then expand its footprint into other areas of Michigan (mainly GR), and increase the size of the conference from the current 11 members to 15 members, at which time the conference may also include Chicago State, bring the membership to 16 schools. Adding the GLIAC schools would create or resume several natural rivalries across sports, with Oakland-Wayne State resume their history from the days of the GLIAC. I could see a Horizon League with east and west divisions. The east division would be Robert Morris (Pa), Youngstown State, Cleveland St, Oakland, UofD Mercy, Wayne State, SVSU, and Ferris State. The west division would include GVSU, Chicago State, Purdue FW, IUPUI, Northern Kentucky, Wright State, UW-Milwaukee, and UW-Green Bay. (GVSU would go west because they are a more southern location than Ferris, and it would require either splitting GVSU-Ferris or NKU-Wright St. GVSU and Ferris, given their proximity would still be able to schedule non-conference games as needed against each other to help fill open schedule spots, and those contests would likely be fairly well attended, more so than an NKU-Wright St contest because those schools lack a natural history.

Beyond the shift of the public GLIAC schools to DI, I think you would see a shift of the private schools in Michigan to the WHAC, or likely the WHAC and GLIAC merge. Hillsdale and Northwood would leave the GMAC for the new WHAC-GLIAC thus significantly decreasing travel for their programs.

This would leave the UP schools and UW-Parkside on an island. I think they could stay with the GLIAC-WHAC schools, although I don't see those schools really wanting trips to the UP.
                              The UP schools would have to stay NCAA because of their hockey programs. Might have to hope that the Northern Sun breaks up or offers them a lifeline. However, I just don't see Saginaw having anything close to the resources needed for an D1 move. Ferris wouldn't be a good D1 fit either, and they also have the issue of needing to be at least a NCAA D2 program because of their hockey program as well.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X