Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All GLIAC Sports to Stream on FloSports

I like the idea of having one spot for the GLIAC. Though I hope the schools are allowed to retain their play-by-play, color commentators, sideline reporters, etc.

The GLIAC and FloSports announce record-setting NCAA Division II streaming rights partnership

Originally posted by mtsax305 View Post
    I like the idea of having one spot for the GLIAC. Though I hope the schools are allowed to retain their play-by-play, color commentators, sideline reporters, etc.
    For the last several years Wayne State streamed the Comcast TV broadcasts of the home Football games. It might be too soon to ask this question but do you by any chance know if this deal with Flo Sports will affect that situation?

Comment

I've been trying to figure that out myself, and have not found anything yet. I've never used FloSports, so I'm not sure if they have their own in house production or if they're just a carrier for whatever A/V feed each school puts out. Would FS host a Comcast-produced WSU game while hosting an ESPN3 GV game? I'm not sure. I would speculate that this move has a greater impact on the sports that don't have TV deals, at least I would hope. For instance, I don't mind the straight video feed from behind the backstop net at baseball games...if I'm not paying for it. But I would assume that there's some increase in production value from FS if this is on a subscription service.

Right after I typed out the preceding paragraph, I went to check GV's schedule because I remember them listing where to watch/listen and usually there's an ESPN3 game there. The where to watch part is gone now.

Comment

$20 a month... yikes.

I get that this probably brings in a good amount of money to the program, but don't try to spin it like this is a great deal for the fans because it's "easy to access" or give so much access to stuff no one wants to watch.. This sucks. Glad I live close enough to go to home games but I'll be tuning into the radio for away games.

Comment

Yeah it's steep. B1G+ for the whole conference is $15 per month for comparison. Though it does not include any televised games.

I like the concept and I'm willing to try it out, but there had better be some quality production behind this to justify the cost.

Comment

Originally posted by GVLakerFan24 View Post
            $20 a month... yikes.

I get that this probably brings in a good amount of money to the program, but don't try to spin it like this is a great deal for the fans because it's "easy to access" or give so much access to stuff no one wants to watch.. This sucks. Glad I live close enough to go to home games but I'll be tuning into the radio for away games.
            I only checked the site to see if rates were shown. I struck out.

But $20/month? Seriously? For a D2 product? I wonder how much revenue that really takes in. I would think ad revenue would be higher if they could get more eyeballs. At $20/month, I wonder if other than parents, how many other will belly up. Not me.

Comment

Ya, well I will be using it since I don't live anywhere near GV - but I agree, there should be something better for the cost - we have gone from free to two different pay systems in the last few years - we will see shortly how it works

Comment

The SAC is also using FloSports this year. Yes, you have to pay, but you get the entire FloSports inventory while subscribed and paying (and it is quite a bit less if paying yearly or maybe at least committing to that). In the SAC the expectation is all feeds are 1080p to them, and a much higher level of preparation for the broadcast crew in terms of when video is streaming. And their service to the broadcasting side is much more hands on than the typical content streamer (like the Stretch service that the SAC used most recently).

A certain fraction of time must be allocated to Flo for them to overlay backend commercials (tailored to wherever the viewer is located). Timing of such is controlled by the local crew at this time. Revenue for these commercials are shared with the host school, from what I hear.

Comment

Doing a cost benefit analysis I looked at the schedule of games being streamed on Flosports. The 8 football schools play 10 regular season games with 35 of those games being streamed or 44%. The quality of GLIAC football product is not what it once was, with Ferris the only school having a legitimate shot at a National Championship. Spending $20 a month to watch a questionable product seems really steep.

Comment

Originally posted by RedFromMI View Post
                    The SAC is also using FloSports this year. Yes, you have to pay, but you get the entire FloSports inventory while subscribed and paying (and it is quite a bit less if paying yearly or maybe at least committing to that). In the SAC the expectation is all feeds are 1080p to them, and a much higher level of preparation for the broadcast crew in terms of when video is streaming. And their service to the broadcasting side is much more hands on than the typical content streamer (like the Stretch service that the SAC used most recently).

A certain fraction of time must be allocated to Flo for them to overlay backend commercials (tailored to wherever the viewer is located). Timing of such is controlled by the local crew at this time. Revenue for these commercials are shared with the host school, from what I hear.
                    Hopefully the Gliac gets more money than the SAC schools will. SAC also has an opt out after 2 years.

Comment

As a Colorado School of Mines fan I would love to watch/listen to the Gvsu/mines game, but would rather not pay $20 for one game.
                      Is there anyway to listen to the radio call out of state, or any other way to watch to the game?
                      I hope this does not come to the RMAC

Comment

Originally posted by FortLewisTillIDie View Post
                        As a Colorado School of Mines fan I would love to watch/listen to the Gvsu/mines game, but would rather not pay $20 for one game.
                        Is there anyway to listen to the radio call out of state, or any other way to watch to the game?
                        I hope this does not come to the RMAC
                        I assume Mines will have their own radio person there. I'm guessing it will be available for free on that station's website. Or you can listen to the GV radio call at wlav.com.
                        2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Thanks for the information KleShreen, should be a great game.

Comment

Originally posted by GVLakerFan24 View Post
                            $20 a month... yikes.

$150.00 for the year.
                            <>

Comment

No way to purchase an individual game, which sucks. Should have gone to YouTube for streaming. It's pretty good.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X