Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's up with Caleb Murphy's stats?

I'd like to preface this by saying I *did*not* watch the Ferris/CWU game. This is just something I noticed:

Something curious I noticed while I was going through box scores. I normally check box scores not long after their games are done as part of our D2 fantasy league on the board. I noticed after the game that Caleb Murphy, for Ferris, was credited with 4 total tackles and 1 quarterback hurry. Pretty quiet day. But then on Monday, I saw the GLIAC Player of the Week release, and he was credited with 10 total tackles, 1.5 sacks, 3 tackles for loss, and 3 quarterback hurries. I went through the play-by-play, and apparently these all changed after the game, even though Ferris was the home team and the official scorers in the first place:

Added a 0.5 TFL during the CWU drive at 7:01 of the 1st Quarter
    Added a hurry during the CWU drive at 6:24 of the 2nd Quarter
    Added a 0.5 tackle during the CWU drive at 14:51 of the 3rd Quarter
    Added a 0.5 sack during the CWU drive at 7:48 of the 3rd Quarter

Then, they added three straight stats for Murphy during the CWU drive at 12:13 of the 4th that weren't there originally at the end of the game:
    They turned a tackle for Konnor Near in to an assisted tackle with Murphy.
    Then the next play, they turned a solo tackle for loss for Major Dedmond in to a 0.5 tackle for loss split between Dedmond and Murphy.
    Then the next play, they turned a sack for Dedmond and Hughes in to a solo sack for Murphy.

They then went on to assign three quarterback hurries to one incomplete pass on 1st and 10 during the drive at 4:22 to play in the 4th, including one to Murphy. (There are no written guidelines from the NCAA on when to award QB hurries, but the general consensus has normally been only one player getting credit for a hurry on any specific play)

So, somehow, Murphy went from 4 total tackles (no TFL or sacks) and 1 quarterback hurry, to 10 total tackles, 1.5 sacks, 3 tackles for loss, and 3 quarterback hurries.

Generally, there's always some opinions and questionable situations as it pertains to tackles/TFL/sacks/hurries, but this seems particularly egregious, especially given that Murphy is the one on their defense being touted for all the awards this year. I'm just questioning the validity of these things and if they may be getting artificially inflated in order to benefit his award resume.

At some point I'm gonna try and get access to watching the game, but I just wanted to bring this up as I noticed it. Usually if anything gets changed after the fact, it's something like a forced fumble being changed from one player to another after replay since it's not something easy to catch in real time, or maybe changing a hurry. Changing tackles for loss and sacks and tackles in general, at this rate, seems pretty out of the ordinary.

Here's what the box score looked like after the game (and as of this posting, what it still looks like on CWU's page. For those who don't know, the home team does all the scoring, and then sends the game file to the opposing team to post):

And here is what the box score looks like on Ferris' site right now:

Anyway, just thought I'd point it out, and maybe get some input from those who actually watched the game.

EDIT:

So, as I should have anticipated, the truth is somewhere in the middle. Upon review of the game tape, here were the changes that were made which I find accurate, and which I find questionable.

During the CWU drive at 7:01 of the 1st Quarter, on 3rd and 9 at the Central Washington 48, a 0.5 TFL was added. I find this change to be accurate.

During the CWU drive at 6:24 of the 2nd Quarter, on 3rd and 11 at the Central Washington 46, a QB Hurry was added. I find this change to be accurate.

During the CWU drive at 7:48 of the 3rd Quarter, on 1st and 10 at the Central Washington 19, a 0.5 Sack (and therefore 0.5 TFL and 0.5 tackle) was added. I find this change to be inaccurate. Caleb Murphy applied initial pressure to move the QB up in the pocket, but did not touch the QB and was ultimately pushed behind the play. I've screenshotted here the situation right as the QB was sacked by two other Ferris players, with Murphy behind the play. https://media.discordapp.net/attachm...ack3rdQ748.png

During the same drive, on 1st and 10 at the Central Washington 36, a 0.5 Tackle was added. I found this to be inaccurate. The ball-carrier ran by Murphy, who got an arm on the runner while being blocked, but was run through, and two Ferris teammates tackled the ball-carrier two yards later. I suppose this could feasibly be an accurate change, but it doesn't appear the brush-by had any impact on the runner's being tackled. I've screenshotted where Murphy was at the time of the actual tackle when the runner went down, with Murphy circled in red and the ball carrier in blue. https://media.discordapp.net/attachm...kle3rdQ748.png

During the CWU drive at 12:13 of the 4th Quarter, on 1st and 10 from the Central Washington 11, a 0.5 Tackle was added. I find this to be inaccurate for a number of reasons. First and foremost, the first play of the drive took place from the 25-yard-line because the kickoff was fair caught at the 11, and the ball was placed at the 25. The box score put in a 13-yard-rush for the QB at this point, which actually should have been a rush for no gain. And on that play, Murphy was not involved in the play whatsoever. Here is a screenshot of the moment the QB went down after being tackled, solo, by a teammate. https://media.discordapp.net/attachm...FL4thQ1213.png

On the next play, a 0.5 TFL (and therefore 0.5 tackle) was awarded, and this was the most egregious miss of all of them. The QB was run out of bounds for a loss of two yards, but Murphy was nowhere involved in the play. Here is a screenshot of Murphy at the moment the QB was pushed out of bounds. https://media.discordapp.net/attachm...FL4thQ1213.png

On the next play, a full 1.0 Sack was awarded, and this is somewhat correct. I find that it should be a 0.5 sack along with teammate Major Dedmond. Both converged on the QB at the exact same time. Here is a screenshot of the moment they reached the QB. https://media.discordapp.net/attachm...ck4thQ1213.png

There is also a QB Hurry added during the CWU drive that started with 4:22 to play in the 4th Quarter, but the camera is not on the play as the play happened, so I can't verify whether this is accurate or not.

By my count, that means the final count for Murphy should be 5 total tackles, 0.5 sack, 1.5 tackles for loss. I'm not worrying about the QB Hurry number since one of them can't be verified and they don't really have a set criteria in the first place.
    Last edited by KleShreen; 09-10-2022, 10:18 AM.
    2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Someone trying to pump their player? Nah, never happens. (couldn't resist) I didn't watch a snap, so I have no qualified opinion. But that seems like a ton of corrections for any player.

Comment

It seems to me you need a second job or a hobby lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post
        It seems to me you need a second job or a hobby lol.
        The D2 fantasy league is the hobby.

Comment

Just taking a shot in the dark that you just so happen to be a GVSU fan? Wild guess of course ;)

Comment

Originally posted by D2expert View Post
            Just taking a shot in the dark that you just so happen to be a GVSU fan? Wild guess of course ;)
            Why would it matter? Does my fandom impact anything I've presented here?
            Last edited by KleShreen; 09-07-2022, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Attacking the messenger doesn’t change the information being presented. One site’s information is wrong. The question is which one is it?

Comment

Originally posted by BeachinLaker View Post
                Attacking the messenger doesn’t change the information being presented. One site’s information is wrong. The question is which one is it?
                Well the game file was sent out to Central Washington after the game as I presented, with the 4 tackles and 1 QB hurry. The next day, Ferris went through and made changes to alter his stats. As the home team, Ferris originally scored the game, and are also the ones who have to approve any changes made to the game. I'm just wondering why or how it could be this big of a discrepancy. I want to go back and watch the game, but don't have a way to do so lol.
                Last edited by KleShreen; 09-07-2022, 07:22 PM.

Comment

This is what I saw watching the defensive side of the game and I don't know what they count as Hurry or Pressure but I can certainly see tackles and assist on tackles

Caleb Murphy - #12 DE

1st
                  04:56 - Assist TFL
                  02:30 - Hurry QB Run
                  2nd
                  14:50 - TFL (facemask penalty)
                  13:59 - Hurry Throw
                  06:18 - Assist Tackle
                  04:01 - Hurry Throw
                  3rd
                  14:06 - Assist Tackle
                  06:12 - Hurry QB Run
                  (FSU 27 - CWU 13)
                  01:22 - Hurry Throw
                  4th
                  (FSU 34 - CWU 13)
                  12:00 - Pressure QB Run - No Gain
                  11:21 - Hurry QB Run (He came in unblocked)
                  10:46 - SACK
                  (FSU 34 - CWU 20)
                  4:17 - Pressure
                  (FSU 36 - CWU 20)

Comment

Originally posted by BillyGV View Post
                    This is what I saw watching the defensive side of the game and I don't know what they count as Hurry or Pressure but I can certainly see tackles and assist on tackles

Caleb Murphy - #12 DE

1st
                    04:56 - Assist TFL
                    02:30 - Hurry QB Run
                    2nd
                    14:50 - TFL (facemask penalty)
                    13:59 - Hurry Throw
                    06:18 - Assist Tackle
                    04:01 - Hurry Throw
                    3rd
                    14:06 - Assist Tackle
                    06:12 - Hurry QB Run
                    (FSU 27 - CWU 13)
                    01:22 - Hurry Throw
                    4th
                    (FSU 34 - CWU 13)
                    12:00 - Pressure QB Run - No Gain
                    11:21 - Hurry QB Run (He came in unblocked)
                    10:46 - SACK
                    (FSU 34 - CWU 20)
                    4:17 - Pressure
                    (FSU 36 - CWU 20)
                    So you would have 4 total tackles (1 solo, 3 assists), 1.5 tackles for loss (1 solo, 1 assist), 1 sack, and a bunch of pressures. Certainly not 10 tackles, 3 tackles for loss, and 1.5 sacks, though.

Me thinks Ferris is doing an awful lot of massaging to try and artificially pump up their guy.

Comment

Death penalty for Ferris. It's the only acceptable punishment.

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

So you would have 4 total tackles (1 solo, 3 assists), 1.5 tackles for loss (1 solo, 1 assist), 1 sack, and a bunch of pressures. Certainly not 10 tackles, 3 tackles for loss, and 1.5 sacks, though.

Me thinks Ferris is doing an awful lot of massaging to try and artificially pump up their guy.
                        5 total - the facemask was called on someone else - not this tackle - so what's that, 2 solo and 3 assists - ya, I think they gave him some - never would have given it a thought but you get so technical I had to go look - skipped through everything but the D, didn't take long

Comment

So I see this is getting some attention on Detroit Sports Nation. It more or less picked up this thread. Dylan Blair wrote it. Luv it!

Comment

I've added screenshots and analysis to the original post.

Comment

Just in case you need this past week's stats for Caleb.......
                              9 solos tackles
                              3 assisted tackles
                              12 total tackles
                              6 tackles for loss (38 yards)
                              5 sacks (37 yards)
                              1 forced fumble

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X