Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post

I believe that there was at one point in time the idea that the Wings would put in a practice arena on Wayne's campus that they could use for their games and the Wings could skate whenever Joe Louis had something going on that day and they couldn't use the ice. With as busy as what the Little Ceaser's Arena is with both the Wings, Pistons, and whatever else going on, having another decent sheet of ice would be nice for the Wings to have.

But honestly though, not really sure what Winters was doing Saturday. That last drive that Wayne had right before the half, had a 4th and 1 there and they elect to punt. I would have gone for it. at best GVSU gets the ball back at midfield, but with the way that wind was blowing at the time they wasn't passing into it. Wayne could have picked that first down up, and kept that drive alive.
    I'm not sure it matters now. But there's a sheet under LCA for practice. Nice read: https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...rld/638833001/

Comment

https://wsuathletics.com/news/2022/1...VZOKdhZKW_MooI

Not sure just how much power she really has with the interim tag on her job title, but supposedly she's at the big desk here now.
      Nice to see an ex Laker on the rise to the top and she learned from one of the best.

Comment

Not sure just how much power she really has with the interim tag on her job title, but supposedly she's at the big desk here now.
        I'm thinking "interim" is titular only. With the new prez coming in next year, now is the time to audition for the job to either get the full position or make a good impression to a search committee. It's worth noting that as the interim AD, Jim Hackett fired Brady Hoke and hired Harbs. Bill Beekman hired Mel Tucker and scrapped the swim teams at MSU. Anything is possible even with an interim AD.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwing View Post

I'm not sure it matters now. But there's a sheet under LCA for practice.
          https://www.uscho.com/2007/11/20/way...lding-program/

If Rob was serious about hockey, one would think he would have tried to approach the Wings about maybe making the practice arena have capacity for 1000 at least. This article highlights some of the issues that were happening with that program, including the biggest problem of having an arena with seating capacity to use.

Comment

Originally posted by mtsax305 View Post

https://www.uscho.com/2007/11/20/way...lding-program/

If Rob was serious about hockey, one would think he would have tried to approach the Wings about maybe making the practice arena have capacity for 1000 at least. This article highlights some of the issues that were happening with that program, including the biggest problem of having an arena with seating capacity to use.
            In the end, it was always the lack of an on campus arena that seemed to be the problem at WSU. Had they gotten a nice little cozy barn on campus, they would have been in a lot better shape, and probably could have gotten together with the remaining CCHA teams when the BTHC pulled the Big Ten schools out of the league. At least would have given them regular trips to Big Rapids, Soo, Marquette, and Houghton.

Comment

It's a shame the former AD was so shortsighted as to not build the basketball arena to at least be hockey-capable in the future (without having to do major renovations).

Comment

It's a shame the former AD was so shortsighted as to not build the basketball arena to at least be hockey-capable in the future (without having to do major renovations).
                Detroit and the surrounding area are such a hot bed for hockey that it would have been great to have established a viable D1 hockey program with an on campus arena....still would be.

Comment

Given that Wayne State has an outgoing President, this news has come much sooner than I would've expected. The interim tag has been removed from the AD position. Ericka Wallace is the 12th Athletic Director in school history. Story here

Comment

Given that Wayne State has an outgoing President, this news has come much sooner than I would've expected. The interim tag has been removed from the AD position. Ericka Wallace is the 12th Athletic Director in school history. Story here
                    Congrats to her. Gotta admit that I think GV lost when they let her get away. But it's been a good move for her so far.
                    Last edited by Redwing; 06-09-2023, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Hopefully this will bode well for Wayne State as she has experience at GVSU and knows how a top D2 athletic program is run.

Comment

Erica will do a great job, happy for her and her family.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X